7 replies to this topic

#1 Bond111

Bond111

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2667 posts

Posted 29 June 2003 - 06:28 AM

I spent months buying the whole collection of the James Bond books from many places on the internet. Then of course a few weeks later, as my luck usually goes, they started re-releasing the Ian Fleming books :mad:. I was just curious what all of you are doing with your book collections. Are you trading in the old ones to update to the new ones? Are you keeping both sets? Comments?

#2 Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 293 posts

Posted 29 June 2003 - 04:11 PM

I have never given away any of my Bond books.

Neil

#3 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 30 June 2003 - 04:37 PM

Since I only have a limited amount of disposable money, I have no intention to buy the new versions. The words are the same, just in a prettier package. I'd rather focus on things I don't have in any capacity, such as the TWINE Companion book I just won on auction.

However, if I did have unlimited capital, I would buy the new ones just to have them all in hardback and still keep the others.

#4 dennisbolt

dennisbolt

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted 02 July 2003 - 01:49 AM

There are two camps: readers and collectors. With Bond you will sooner or later become a collector of some sort. It is nice to have some reading copies so you don't have to crack the spines of the cool new paperbacks:-)

#5 Cesari

Cesari

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 255 posts

Posted 03 July 2003 - 06:40 AM

I'm a reader first. I want to read and re-read the James Bond books.
Then I collect them. So I keep all my old editions. I collect all the french editions from the first Fleming books in the 50's to the last ones of Benson, Gardner and Fleming re-issue.
I won't buy the new penguin edition but I'm so found of the new Fleming us editions that I will buy them too.
And I no fortunate at all too, but I've time.
I've a friend who wrote a pc CD-rom with the covers of all the french editions of James Bond books. And it is very useful for my researches.

#6 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 03:04 PM

When I first started collecting the James Bond novels, I only bought ones that I didn't already have a copy of. Now, with all the Penguin reprints finally released, and that I have bought them all, I realize it's really fun to buy all the publications.

It all depends on how much you like to collect, and either way works, depending on what works for you.

I'll continue to buy the many different publications as that's the way I collect them.

#7 IndyB007

IndyB007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1574 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 03:23 PM

Well I would keep them all, or sell the ones that you do not want to keep. Myself, I am buying the new editions, but I also collect the first printings of the Signet Paperbacks, the movie editions of the Signet papebacks and now I'm going to start on the movie editions of the Pan papberbacks.......

#8 Ezekiel

Ezekiel

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 107 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 04:43 PM

I'm working on not getting any same two stories from the same publication series, if that makes any sense? I figure that I don't have enough cash to buy them all loads of times, so I'm getting them gradually. It's a bit of a mess on the shelf, but I like it that way.