This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

HELP! What's Bond Playing at Piz Gloria?

13 replies to this topic

#1 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 28 June 2003 - 12:50 PM

The name of the sport has completely slipped my mind...

What's Bond playing with the girls outside whilst at Piz Gloria? It's on the tip of my tongue!

#2 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 28 June 2003 - 01:15 PM

Curling is the sport.

The only other place I ever saw this was in the Beatles' movie Help. It got a lot of attention at the last winter Olympics, but I still am not sure what it's about.

#3 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 28 June 2003 - 01:19 PM

I remembered I had the DVDs [I only purchased them this week], so I could easily access the scene, as opposed to the incessant fast-forwarding and rewinding I would've needed with my old VHS set, so I went and checked.

But thanks anyway! :)

No, I'm not quite sure what it's all about either. Anyone know?

#4 brendan007

brendan007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1512 posts

Posted 28 June 2003 - 01:30 PM

from the movie it looks like lawn bowls but on ice. Its a really good scene in the movie, i like how lazenby acts in this scene

#5 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 28 June 2003 - 02:18 PM

curling - Games resembling lawn bowling on ice that is a major winter sport of Scotland, and popular in Canada, N US, and Nordic countries. The game is played by two teams of four players on an ice surface 138ft (42m) long by 14ft (4.3m) wide. Each player has two smooth circular stones with a handle. At each end of the ice is a circular target with a central area known as the tee. One player sends his stone towards the tee, teammates use brooms to sweep the surface in front of it to give it a smoother surface over which to glide. Each player delivers two stones. One point is scored for each stone lying nearer the tee than an opponent's stone.

#6 Fawn

Fawn

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 151 posts

Posted 28 June 2003 - 11:41 PM

So, it's basically like a giant game of marbles.

Dave Barry wrote a hilarious article about curling...now if I could only find it again... http://www.miami.com...rry/2693732.htm

Ahhh.

That was my favorite part of the whole movie, BTW.

#7 Canada

Canada

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 158 posts

Posted 30 June 2003 - 04:11 AM

hhmmm I never thought of it as marbles, but it is a little boring to watch in real life. I just don't get why people love it so much. I think it is well done in OHMSS, a nice touch.

#8 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 30 June 2003 - 04:18 AM

Give me a sunny day, low wind and a wide fairway....along with a scantily clad caddy and a clubhouse with a large bar, over curling any day.

#9 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 30 June 2003 - 04:28 AM

Originally posted by Bryce (003)
Give me a sunny day, low wind and a wide fairway....along with a scantily clad caddy and a clubhouse with a large bar, over curling any day.

Man, you'd love it here in Jakarta then. :)

#10 flares

flares

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 210 posts

Posted 30 June 2003 - 10:52 AM

At the last winter olympics, the sport was very much in the headlines here as the Scottish Women's Curling Team won the Gold medal. When they returned to the UK, they were met with a hero's welcome.

#11 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 30 June 2003 - 01:02 PM

Ahem... it is not Curling what they are playing in OHMSS.
I don't know the English expression for it, it's always translated as... Curling.
The German/Swiss name for it is "Eisstockschiessen" (now I'd like to hear all you English-speaking folks trying to pronounce that :)). It can be roughly translated as "shooting the ice-stick" (don't ask). It is a very old game that is played mostly in Austria, Switzerland and Bavaria. It is basically like Curling, but it is more a "everyman's version" of it. Curling is played with special stones of about 18 kg of weight. ESS is played with things made of wood and metal that have about 5 kg. Another differenc is, that in Curling people do these strange looking sweeping movements with brushes to give the stone a slightly different direction by making it rotate or "curl" (hence the name "Curling").
In ESS you have a moving target, a puck that is only put back to a center point when it leaves a certain area. And the points are counted differently.
I hope I could make the difference a bit clear as I was unable to find any site that provides the rules of the game in English.

#12 flares

flares

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 210 posts

Posted 30 June 2003 - 02:16 PM

Blimey! - Stromberg, you are a mine of information, I'm very impressed.

Now could you explain nuclear fission please.

#13 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 30 June 2003 - 03:45 PM

Originally posted by flares
Blimey! - Stromberg, you are a mine of information, I'm very impressed.

Now could you explain nuclear fission please.

Oh, ****. To be able to store the information about curling in my head, I had to delete some other piece of useless trivia out of my mind. Unfortunately, I decided this to be all my knowledge about nuclear fission. I really thought i'd never need it again in my life. It's like Bond who exactly knew how to defuse a nuclear bomb in TSWLM and OP but needed the help of Dr. Christmas Jones in TWINE to do it.
But if someone could just send Dr. Jones over to my place, there are certain things I want her to explain to me :):P (no,no, don't send Indy, it doesn't work with him...)

#14 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 13 July 2003 - 09:55 PM

O.K., folks, this here forum member is guilty of posting complete humbug in this thread. Not that there was much wrong in that little lecture about "Eisstockschiessen", the problem is that it is in fact Curling what they are playing in OHMSS. I'd have bet all my money that it was not. I'm currently not able to check it out in the movie itself (as my DVD player still insists on not to work), but I stumbled across the attached bubblegum card, and what you see on it are clearly Curling stones. Don't know what came to my mind :).
My apollogies go out to anyone who trusted me. Next time kick me in the "where the sun don't shine".