This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Roger's speech when presenting the Thalberg award.

13 replies to this topic

#1 St.John Smythe

St.John Smythe

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 90 posts

Posted 26 June 2003 - 09:46 PM

I found this transcript of Roger's speech when he presented the Thalberg Award to Cubby at the 1982 Oscar Awards. I thought it might be an interesting read for people who never saw it on tv. Here it is:

Roger: "Thank you. The Irving G. Thalberg Award, unlike our friend Oscar, is not given to one film, but rather, is given to a producer for consistent high quality over a number of films. Basically, that means putting every dollar up there on the screen and never cheating the audience. The recipient of the Thalberg Award is a man who has done just that. Of course, I may speak with a little prejudice, but I do speak with first hand knowledge, because he's been paying my rent and contributing to the kids' school fees since 1973. Albert R. Broccoli, who is known from gateman to front office as Cubby, started life as the son of an Italian immigrant farmer who introduced to America the vegetable that bore the family name. That son, Cubby, in turn, introduced a number to the screen that none of us will ever forget - 004! I mean, 007! Spies are not perfect!

Leaving the family farm at an early age, Cubby entered films as a mail boy at 20th Century Fox. From farm to Fox, he became assistant director and after learning his trade, teamed with Irving Allen to produce films like Paratrooper, Cockleshell Heroes, Fire Down Below and The Trials of Oscar Wilde. He also produced the delightful children's classic Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. Twenty-one years ago he formed a partnership with Harry Saltzman to make a picture based on a novel by Ian Fleming, and to star a relatively unknown actor at the time named Sean Connery. That picture, of course, was Dr. No, and so began a golden chain of twelve films which have been seen by more than one-and-one billion moviegoers around the world. And from that first James Bond adventure that drove escapism beyond the larger than life screen entertainment of the past, Cubby Broccoli's vivid imagination has soared constantly higher, producing the longest continual string of successful motion pictures in the history of the art form...ladies, gentlemen, and counter-spies everywhere, the man who will now expect me to work cheaper, Mr. Albert R. Broccoli- Cubby!"

#2 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 27 June 2003 - 04:37 AM

man.. I wish I could see the footage of that award show..

#3 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 27 June 2003 - 12:50 PM

Originally posted by St.John Smythe
Twenty-one years ago he formed a partnership with Harry Saltzman to make a picture based on a novel by Ian Fleming, and to star a relatively unknown actor at the time named Sean Connery.

21 years ago....wow -- and it has been another 21 years since this speech was given. Quite amazing.

#4 St.John Smythe

St.John Smythe

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 90 posts

Posted 27 June 2003 - 10:46 PM

Hey, your right, I never noticed that. :) Time seems to go by so fast.

#5 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 28 June 2003 - 06:40 AM

I am surprised that they didn't do a piece on this on one od the DVD's??

..or did they?? I still haven't seen all of them,but I have never heard anyone bring this award up..

They should have put a clip of this or show the whole damn thing on a DVD!!!!!

* Does anyone know if they show this anywhere?? Do they even show it on a Best Of.. vhs tape?? Maybe I'll look at the library for it..

If anyone knows.. please let all of US know :cool:

#6 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 28 June 2003 - 04:12 PM

I think it was mentioned in the Cubby documentary but they didn't show any clips.

#7 St.John Smythe

St.John Smythe

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 90 posts

Posted 29 June 2003 - 11:20 AM

I'm not entirely sure but I think there is a video out of highlights from some of the past Oscar shows. There might be a chance that it is on there.

#8 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 02 July 2003 - 09:02 PM

No luck :)

I went to the library and look at all the Old Oscar VHS Tapes.. and they had a bunch of past oscar moments.. BUT no speech :)

they did have when Marlon Brando won the oscar in the early 70's.. with Roger giving the award.. I think

I just looked that the back of the box.. I do remember I think roger was the one that gave the award to Brando.. well to the Indian Girl who came up to get the ward for him

#9 Blofeld's Barber

Blofeld's Barber

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 193 posts

Posted 02 July 2003 - 09:39 PM

I have this on a VHS compilation tape that I got from SpyGuise many years ago. It also has footage from the Oscars where both Connery and Moore presented together. Very cool!

#10 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 03 July 2003 - 12:58 PM

Originally posted by Blofeld's barber
I have this on a VHS compilation tape that I got from SpyGuise many years ago.  It also has footage from the Oscars where both Connery and Moore presented together.  Very cool!

That is cool....hopefully they come out with a DVD of that some day!

#11 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 04 July 2003 - 08:52 PM

Originally posted by Blofeld's barber
I have this on a VHS compilation tape that I got from SpyGuise many years ago.  It also has footage from the Oscars where both Connery and Moore presented together.  Very cool!

can you make it a Mpeg :)

Put it online.. I'd love to see it.. I bet all of us would :)

#12 Blofeld's Barber

Blofeld's Barber

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 193 posts

Posted 05 July 2003 - 05:18 AM

Unfortunately, I don't have that capability at this time - sorry! As soon as I do, I'll put it on-line, though.

#13 lazenbyland

lazenbyland

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 199 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:11 PM

Just saw 'The Cockleshell heroes' on our BBC2 recently. Very good film with excellent production values. Interesting to see the credits included Kevin McClory.

Best line in the film when the marines are being ripped on by the navy.

"Hey Mister, what's your name?"

"Claridge. Why?"

"I never hit strangers."

Before launching into a bar fight.

#14 Stainless Steel Teeth INC

Stainless Steel Teeth INC

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:15 PM

Here is a link to Roger's speech and Cubby's acceptance of the Thalberg award;