7 replies to this topic

#1 MrDraco

MrDraco

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1138 posts

Posted 26 June 2003 - 05:35 PM

I've been reading Scorpius for the first time launching my self back in the Gardner Bond stuff and i think its pretty the pace of it so far flows and it hasn't gotten two left field you like the later ones...

#2 Jriv71

Jriv71

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 02 July 2003 - 04:21 PM

I hated Scorpius. Couldn't wait to finish it.

#3 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 02 July 2003 - 04:49 PM

Not my favorite.

#4 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 02 July 2003 - 04:56 PM

Originally posted by MrDraco
I've been reading Scorpius for the first time launching my self back in the Gardner Bond stuff and i think its pretty the pace of it so far flows and it hasn't gotten two left field you like the later ones...

I quite like "Scorpius"...its not my favorite Gardner Bond novel, but its not the worst either.

#5 Genrewriter

Genrewriter

Cammander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4360 posts

Posted 02 July 2003 - 07:39 PM

I thought it was adequate. Gardner was able to put a sock in it in regards to endless double-crosses and Bond's killing of Scorpius is very well done but the story just doesn't do it for me.

#6 Cesari

Cesari

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 255 posts

Posted 03 July 2003 - 06:43 AM

I don't like it very much. Quite boring.

#7 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 04 January 2004 - 03:37 AM

A bit boring. Picked up a secondhand copy a few months ago and have been working my way through it at snail's pace. Nice prose, as usual with Gardner, but there's little compelling me to really get stuck in to the book.

The main problem is that James Bond doesn't seem remotely like the James Bond we all know and love. He's so divorced from Fleming's creation as to make a mockery of any claims to be continuing the series old Ian started. Gardner seems to be writing about some generic SAS action man. Very disappointing, since, for all his faults, Gardner is undeniably a hugely talented writer.

If only Glidrose had employed Raymond Benson as Gardner's editor on the Bond novels, charged with policing the Bondian elements and making sure there were enough echoes of Fleming's universe!

#8 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 04 January 2004 - 03:52 AM

Wow, nice old thread here, although great topic! :)

This is a true middle of the road Gardner for me. not too great, but not that bad. I think it's the somewhat good villain and okay plot that makes it better than his worst. A good read once in a while!