Should EON redo OHMSS title sequence

26 replies to this topic

#1 THEQUESTFORPEAC

THEQUESTFORPEAC

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 52 posts

Posted 22 June 2003 - 12:09 PM

Over the years fans have come to accept Lazenby as Bond, yet the orginal film doesn't, its full of references to the past Bond, i.e. "this never happened to the other fella" line. The title sequence however is the worst of these, with images of the previous bond films, and a figure passing the baton to Lazenby. I think they should redo this sequence, showing that Lazenby IS Bond. It should be a proper title squence, the girls, the guns etc, not constantly reminding the audience that the character has been recast. I think they owe it to Lazenby.

They could release this new sequence on a future DVD release. But I think it is important that it should only be avaialable as an option, not the definitive version. The fans should be able to choose which versions they want, that way everyone would be happy. As long as BOTH versions were released on the same disc I can see no reason why OHMSS couldn't be changed, or any other of the series for that matter.

#2 brendan007

brendan007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1512 posts

Posted 22 June 2003 - 12:23 PM

Absolutely not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I dont even want the option, its a terrible idea and im really against going back and making unnecessary changes like this.

#3 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 22 June 2003 - 12:24 PM

Never.

On Her Majesty's Secret Service has a wonderful title sequence. And one thing I don’t stand for is revisionist history. This title sequence not only tell the history of the series up to that point, but reminds us of the history of what was going on with the series in the eyes of the general public.

Leave the sequence alone. And let Maurice Binder’s wonderful art stand unmolested.

#4 Jeff007

Jeff007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2076 posts

Posted 22 June 2003 - 01:14 PM

Don't even change one second, I love this sequence. With the nude girls, the clocks going backwards and the hour glasses, who could ask for more. Keep it forever.

#5 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 22 June 2003 - 02:49 PM

Bad idea, the film should remain how it is.

#6 Red Grant

Red Grant

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 376 posts

Posted 22 June 2003 - 02:50 PM

Originally posted by brendan007
Absolutely not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I dont even want the option, its a terrible idea and im really against going back and making unnecessary changes like this.

Agreed 100%..why oh, why, can't people accept things for what they are? OHMSS was the 6th Bond film in 1969. It was made at a time when Connery had just left the role and they needed to reassure the audience that this was still part of the same series. So many people seem to have a big problem with older Bond films not fitting in with today's rules about film making. So what? Get over it! This is how it was, this is how it is. The problem lies with the person and not the film. Trying to apply modern methods to try and make older films work just doesn't wash. Leave it alone it is perfect as it is. Flaws and all. This forum seems to be obsessed with changing things in the Bond movies to work how they want them.

#7 Kingdom Come

Kingdom Come

Discharged

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3572 posts

Posted 22 June 2003 - 02:59 PM

Eon wouldn't do such a thing. But they should, as the titles for OHMSS are truly awful - exception being the sequence towards the end. OHMSS titles were dated when they first came out - now they look cringe worthy. Very bad idea having referances to past Bonds/films. Tacky, tacky.

#8 Red Grant

Red Grant

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 376 posts

Posted 22 June 2003 - 03:09 PM

Originally posted by Kingdom Come
... Very bad idea having referances to past Bonds/films. Tacky, tacky.

Yeah, they managed to make and entire film based around this premise called DIE ANOTHER DAY.

#9 Kingdom Come

Kingdom Come

Discharged

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3572 posts

Posted 22 June 2003 - 04:06 PM

Interesting point Red Grant.

#10 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 22 June 2003 - 08:26 PM

change it, i dont like the film that much anyway

#11 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 23 June 2003 - 07:51 PM

Don't give George Lucas any ideas.

#12 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 24 June 2003 - 01:46 AM

Originally posted by BONDFINESSE 007
change it, i dont like the film that much anyway

thats the only bond film i would want to change, i just dont like kojack

#13 TheCheat

TheCheat

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 494 posts

Posted 24 June 2003 - 01:52 AM

i think it should stay just the way it is and it is a totally different movie with virtually no gadgets in it and more drama in no way represents past movies

#14 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 24 June 2003 - 01:55 AM

i used to not know what is was that i did not like, blamed it on george, but the truth is its telly, that i dont like, had they got the blofeld from yolt i would think different of this film

#15 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 24 June 2003 - 05:24 AM

Donald Pleasance would be a joke trying to perform the feats that Blofeld does in this film. If anything, they should have had Telly Savalas from the very beginning, he IS Blofeld.

#16 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 24 June 2003 - 09:47 PM

Originally posted by JimmyBond
Donald Pleasance would be a joke trying to perform the feats that Blofeld does in this film. If anything, they should have had Telly Savalas from the very beginning, he IS Blofeld.

telly came off as a thug but pleasance had style

#17 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 24 June 2003 - 09:50 PM

Originally posted by Red Grant

Yeah, they managed to make and entire film based around this premise called DIE ANOTHER DAY.

Very slick.

#18 MarkA

MarkA

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 24 June 2003 - 10:01 PM

Trying to apply modern methods to try and make older films work just doesn't wash.

I really agree with that above statement. Get over back projection, speeded up fight sequences, dated titles, maybe a miscast Blofeld (though I don't agree) The reason why that film worked was because it was a wonderful story adapted faithfully from a great book. Modern Bonds are not even worthy to stand in its shadow.

#19 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 24 June 2003 - 10:47 PM

i would still like to see it remade with brosnan and some actress, just to see what a modern ohmss looks like....dont know who i would put as blofeld though

#20 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 25 June 2003 - 12:10 AM

i would still like to see it remade with brosnan and  some actress, just to see what a modern ohmss looks like....dont know who i would put as blofeld though

All I have to say about that is remakes never work. Sure reworking the story a bit like AVTAK did to Goldfinger works, but a direct remake of OHMSS would not work, and even if they did try, I dont think Brosnan is a good enough of an actor to pull it off.

#21 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 25 June 2003 - 12:30 AM

Originally posted by JimmyBond

All I have to say about that is remakes never work. Sure reworking the story a bit like AVTAK did to Goldfinger works, but a direct remake of OHMSS would not work, and even if they did try, I dont think Brosnan is a good enough of an actor to pull it off.

he would not have to try hard to out do lazenby

#22 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 25 June 2003 - 12:44 AM

Hey! Don’t be dissing my boy George.

#23 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 25 June 2003 - 12:49 AM

Originally posted by Mister Asterix
Hey! Don’t be dissing my boy George.

you are right, just for that remark 10 lashes with a wet noodle is what i should get

#24 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 25 June 2003 - 01:46 AM

you are right, just for that remark 10 lashes with a wet noodle is what i should get

Eleven!

#25 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 25 June 2003 - 01:57 AM

The idea makes me think of Star Wars special editions which rewrote Han Solo's character and made him more role model friendly. I hate what what Lucas did with those revised films and I hope EON leaves Bond alone. OHMSS is fine film as is. If Lazenby wanted to be his own Bond he should have signed a multi-picture deal.He made a great film. Let's please leave it alone and concentrate on making better films in the future. :)

#26 Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 293 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 11:04 PM

Why do people like to tamper with completed films? Every change made to make it more modern or more in line with the rest of the series only helps to validate everything that makes a film unique and great, especially a film as great as On Her Majesty's Secret Service.

Neil

#27 David Somerset

David Somerset

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 158 posts

Posted 10 July 2003 - 11:40 AM

It mattered to me when I first saw it because I had only seen Connery Bonds and had this Connery-or-nothing attitude. Now years later, I've adapted to a multi-Bond universe and I don't think they should change the sequence. A remake should definitely be out of the question.