#1 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 21 June 2003 - 12:58 AM

negress

What a word. Every time I have read Live and Let Die this word amazes me. I suspect that when Ian typed the word that it was on the fly, giving no more thought to it than the words ‘sighing’ or ‘extracted’. But the word has grown over the years. If Fleming had described a ‘black woman’ at the wheel of the Chevy sedan, the impact today would not have so strong; it would have been a mear curiousity. But ‘negress’—‘a fine looking negress in a black chauffeur’s uniform’—the word puts the whole scene in perceptive. We see this ‘negress’ from the view of the times—from the 1950s view. The word puts her in square in the decade and make us twenty-first-century dwellers see this woman as the anomaly that she was. It is not a kind word, but this use makes a word that would today be considered degrading—even vulgar—become elegant. Alot has been made of another word that begins with ‘N’ in this book—a word that is harder to put into its context—but I am pleased and astonished with how Ian used this ‘n-word’.

————

the red carpet

Fleming’s description of Bond’s moment of great luxury reminds us of how early we are in to the adventures of 007. This moment of luxury is mighty tame compared to what is to follow. Cars costing in the hundred thousands, hobnobbing with the elite, staying at the grandest of hotels; all much more luxurious than getting though customs in less than an hour. The opening paragraph and the title of this chapter show us that none of the great luxuries that Bond is afforded through the rest of his career are really ‘James Bond’s World’. This is one of the fantastic things about the character of James Bond, that this man of the working class is a gate-crasher into the world of luxury, and we as readers are allowed to crash these gates with him.

#2 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 21 June 2003 - 01:00 AM

Originally posted by Mister Asterix
This is one of the fantastic things about the character of James Bond, that this man of the working class is a gate-crasher into the world of luxury, and we as readers are allowed to crash these gates with him.

Very well said.

#3 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 21 June 2003 - 01:09 AM

Indeed! Very well said...er...typed, Mr. Asterix.

I'm actually putting some final touches on a follow up to my CR "Who is this Guy?" article based on LALD. Now, I may have to quote YOU rather than Fleming;)

I'll be sure to put it "through the mill" when I'm done. Maybe this next week.

#4 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 21 June 2003 - 01:36 AM

[I'll use "quote marks" to show that it's not my choice of words.]

With Fleming's predilection of using the word "[censored]," which is considered an offensive term for black people in general, I guess it's just a follow-on for him to call black women "negress," which is also considered an offensive term.

Fleming was being consistant in this matter, but as the term "[censored]" refers to all blacks as a generalisation, I guess that Fleming chose to use the term "negress" for this woman as a sort of seperation to justify Bond's view of her being "fine looking," which could be considered as slightly sexual.