13 replies to this topic

#1 Jriv71

Jriv71

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 18 June 2003 - 04:58 PM

I'd like to hear some opinions on this one. I've just finished re-reading it, and it just didn't leave much of an impression on me. I think I'm nitpicking because I'm getting tired of Gardner's lack of creativity with his characters. A chinese girl named Chi-Chi, and a guy named Luk-See? Then he threw one in at the end, I forgot what he was called, but it seemed like he let a 4-year-old great-grandson name it. Lee was actually a good villain but maybe this was a character that Gardner could have allowed to survive, for a future novel.

Story was good, but somehow I wasn't riveted to find out if the bad guys got away with the LORDS and LORDS DAY info. I think I know why I was distracted. I was waiting for the double-cross. Happily, there was none, but now when I read Gardner, I don't even trust M!

And I'm still waiting for Bond to be Bond, and not have a whole friggin' army bail him out of a tight spot.

#2 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 18 June 2003 - 05:11 PM

I'm a huge Brokenclaw fan. It one of my favorite Gardner books. Don't have time to lay out my reasons right now...maybe later.

#3 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 19 June 2003 - 11:12 AM

Just noticed something:

Broken = Shatter
Claw = Hand

Brokenclaw = Shatterhand.

Actually I haven't just noticed it, it's something that's been bugging me for a while.

#4 Jriv71

Jriv71

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 19 June 2003 - 03:14 PM

Originally posted by Tanger
Just noticed something:

Broken = Shatter
Claw = Hand

Brokenclaw = Shatterhand.

Actually I haven't just noticed it, it's something that's been bugging me for a while.

When you were reading it for the first time, were you waiting for yet another appearance of Blofeld?

#5 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 19 June 2003 - 07:06 PM

No I wasn't. I was just surprised at the unoriginality and laziness of the title, which was created by using, hmmm let's see - a thesaurus.

#6 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 19 June 2003 - 07:59 PM

Oh, I don't know about that. I think it's kind of a nifty "Indian name" for a man who has thumbs on the opposite sides of his hands. Remember, it's a character name before it's a title.

Not sure why Blofeld calls himself Shatterhand. Maybe he used a thesaurus.

#7 dennisbolt

dennisbolt

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted 20 June 2003 - 04:13 AM

I thought it was one of John's best. I liked the setting on the West Coast and Northwest-my stomping grounds. Bond in Canada (can't think of any other time) if i am not mistaken, as well.

the Shatterhand reference in interesting-not noticed at the time.

#8 Cesari

Cesari

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 255 posts

Posted 20 June 2003 - 09:43 AM

It is too one of my favourite John Gradner's.
I specially like the climax opposing Bond and Brokenclaw at the end of the book and the indian torture.
But as for all Gardner's books there are weaknesses. (Other characters dull, script without skeleton)
I better like Benson's worst than Gardner's best

#9 Jriv71

Jriv71

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 20 June 2003 - 12:30 PM

Originally posted by dennisbolt
Bond in Canada (can't think of any other time) if i am not mistaken.

The Spy Who Loved Me (novel), off the top of my head.

#10 Genrewriter

Genrewriter

Cammander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4360 posts

Posted 22 June 2003 - 10:43 PM

Oh yeah, that torture scene is a good one. I just reread the book and the final chapter had me squirming, not an easy task mind you. I also like the beginning with Bond simply investigating out of curiosity rather than being under orders. It would be interesting to see this kind of initial involvement in the next film.

#11 Jriv71

Jriv71

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 23 June 2003 - 12:21 PM

I was waiting for the part where it turns out that Bond and Lee both being in Canada was NOT coincidence...
Here's how it played out as I saw it...

M: Go check out this Brokenclaw guy.
Bond: Holy ****, I just saw him in Canada!

A little far-fetched. Not in the classic James Bond-far-fetched way, like with Drax in Moonraker (novel) just kind of lazy on Gardner's part, not very well thought-out at all.

#12 Grubozaboyschikov

Grubozaboyschikov

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 207 posts

Posted 23 January 2004 - 01:12 PM

I

#13 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 09:17 PM

Oh yeah, that torture scene is a good one.  I just reread the book and the final chapter had me squirming, not an easy task mind you.  I also like the beginning with Bond simply investigating out of curiosity rather than being under orders.  It would be interesting to see this kind of initial involvement in the next film.

View Post

Agreed. This is one of Gardner's better books in my opinion, one of the high points in the rollercoaster ride of his later books. We have an interesting villain (something I think was a problem once in while with the Gardner books, No Deals, Mr. Bond, The Man From Barbarossa come to mind) and some good scenes.

#14 Kronsteen

Kronsteen

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 418 posts

Posted 27 June 2005 - 01:58 PM

I'm not very fond of Brokenclaw. Brokenclaw Lee, the villian, is excellent though, as for the first few chapters which slightly reminded of Live and Let Die. But other than that I didn't find it interesting, actually quite poorly written with a too slow tempo and action sequences that just doesn't felt right. Some nice ideas here and there, but sadly nothing more to it. What first seemed like original and interesting was badly executed and fell flat. Too bad, John Gardner is a great writer and wrote many good James Bond novels, but this one just doesn't work. Simply put: one of the worst Bond books, though fairly allright.