9 replies to this topic

#1 Cesari

Cesari

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 255 posts

Posted 17 June 2003 - 06:12 PM

Has someone read John Pearson's book "James Bond the authorised biography of 007"?
What do you think of that book and how do you place it in the series of Bond books?

#2 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 18 June 2003 - 01:38 AM

I have read the book, and as to where I would place it within the series...I don't.

I think some of the sections are great for giving us details into Bond's pysche, but the problem is some characters -- such as Monique Bond, Honey Ryder, and even to a certain extent Tiffany Case -- do not come out very well, and that I didn't appreciate.

I also don't know how I felt about dealing with Bond's son...a detail Raymond Benson didn't know about or chose to ignore when he wrote his short story for Playboy.

-- Xenobia

#3 dennisbolt

dennisbolt

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted 23 June 2003 - 07:54 PM

Like Zenopbobia, I would not place it in the Bond canon (Fiction books that have Bond a character: fleming and continuation authors)-I would place it in the category of reference books that deal with Bond character and phenomenom, eventhough it is written as if it is a real bio on a "real" James Bond. Pearson's actual biography of Ian Fleming is good though.

#4 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 23 June 2003 - 08:06 PM

Mr. Bolt...I could not help but notice how you killed my screen name. It's Xenobia, not Zenopbobia, although I enjoy the "in" joke with PB's initials.

-- Xenobia

#5 dennisbolt

dennisbolt

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 01:41 AM

XENOPHOBIA-ooooooopppppssss-- that was unintended slight and pun-just fast wrtiting on a new keyboard. It makes me type slower than I think and I get loads of typos and then don't bother to check before posting thread-no insult intended-sorry I am new here, so don't want to piss off the regulars:-) I could have accidentally put an RB for Raymond just as easily.

#6 dennisbolt

dennisbolt

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 01:44 AM

PS Xenophobia-I just realized that I might have been thinking of Zencat when I typed your name and phonetically spelled it wrong. I assume Zencat will not mind??

#7 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 04:47 AM

No Zencat won't mind...As a matter of fact, a while back Zencat, Blofeld's Cat and I thought about writing fan fiction together and calling the author Zxencat Squared.

I would prefer it if you called me Xenobia...Xenophobia is a seriously racist person, and I am not. :-D

-- Xenobia

#8 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 08 July 2003 - 05:10 AM

Originally posted by Xenobia
No Zencat won't mind...As a matter of fact, a while back Zencat, Blofeld's Cat and I thought about writing fan fiction together and calling the author Zxencat Squared.

Zxencat Cubed, I think.

#9 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 07:08 PM

Cubed...squared...what's a little math among friends.

:)

-- Xenobia

#10 Thunderbird

Thunderbird

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 127 posts

Posted 11 July 2003 - 06:55 PM

Pearson's biography is an interesting aside to the main canon, and I suppose I too tend to use it as a reference guide rather than an actual story.

I think Pearson's take was an interesting one, and as you read it, the writing style at times is not dissimilar from 'the man' himself in some ways. I read it first when I was about 15, some 18 years ago, at the same time that I discovered Fleming, so I suppose I tend to lump it in with the Flemings more than I should.