10 replies to this topic

#1 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 17 June 2003 - 01:53 PM

I wasn't sure where to post this one exactly, so here we go...

Just got Christopher Wood's novelization for Moonraker on Amazon for like a buck. Is this based on an earlier draft of the script? This thing's actually pretty good for the most part. Some of the dialogue is way off, but for the most part, it's better the final product. Anyone know the history of this?

#2 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 17 June 2003 - 02:20 PM

Can't really tell you anything about it. But coincidentially, I ordered a used copy a few days ago from an antiquarian shop. It's a hard to find in Germany (and in German), not even at Ebay. I'm very interested what it's like. Glad to hear what you say about it.
I'm sure Zencat can tell us more about its history...

#3 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 17 June 2003 - 02:46 PM

I have the novelization at home in the UK (along with the novelization of TSWLM). I seem to remember enjoying the Wood novelizations when I was growing up.

#4 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 17 June 2003 - 08:11 PM

I read this a year or two ago and found myself enjoying it as it fleshed out some things and left out the obvious jokey material.

#5 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 17 June 2003 - 10:38 PM

what would everyone say is the best Roger Movie Title 007 Books????

I have never really even read a full book..

what are some good ones?

#6 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 17 June 2003 - 11:04 PM

I really liked Chris Woods novelization of TSWLM. I read it before I had read any of the Fleming original.

4 Ur Eyez Only -- as far as Fleming....I really like MR, especially the scene at Blades.

#7 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 17 June 2003 - 11:08 PM

wow that sounds great!!! I am going to pick up that book..

Thanks DLibrasnow :)

by the way.. what does your name mean? Is it a Bond meaning?

#8 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 18 June 2003 - 11:37 AM

Originally posted by 4 Ur Eyez Only
wow that sounds great!!! I am going to pick up that book..

Thanks DLibrasnow :)

by the way.. what does your name mean? Is it a Bond meaning?

No Bond meaning 4 Ur Eyez Only..... it has elements of a homage to a late college friend of mine.

#9 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 18 June 2003 - 03:03 PM

Some of the fun with the book that Wood wrote is that he tries really hard to make it seem as if Fleming himself wrote this version. He even has the description of Bond as Fleming wrote him down to a T, which is kinda hysterical considering Roger doesn't look a thing like him. A lot of the idiotic humor is absent here, which makes me wonder where, how, and who put that **** in later.

#10 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 18 June 2003 - 03:32 PM

Originally posted by ChandlerBing
Some of the fun with the book that Wood wrote is that he tries really hard to make it seem as if Fleming himself wrote this version.  He even has the description of Bond as Fleming wrote him down to a T, which is kinda hysterical considering Roger doesn't look a thing like him.  A lot of the idiotic humor is absent here, which makes me wonder where, how, and who put that **** in later.

I like the two Wood adaptations (TSWLM and MR). They were interesting reads and IMHO better than 75 percent of Gardners work and 100 percent of Bensons.

Wood has been much maligned over the years but I don't think a lot of it was his fault. The part of MR I hate the most is Jaws falling in love, becoming a good guy and then speaking (big, big mistake) - but I think that was a directive from the producers, not Woods idea.

#11 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 18 June 2003 - 08:17 PM

Originally posted by DLibrasnow

I like the two Wood adaptations (TSWLM and MR). They were interesting reads and IMHO better than 75 percent of Gardners work and 100 percent of Bensons.  

Wood has been much maligned over the years but I don't think a lot of it was his fault. The part of MR I hate the most is Jaws falling in love, becoming a good guy and then speaking (big, big mistake) - but I think that was a directive from the producers, not Woods idea.

I've read that Tom Mankiewicz did some rewrites on MR. He may have had a hand in it.