8 replies to this topic

#1 philbowski

philbowski

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 235 posts

Posted 17 June 2003 - 03:26 AM

Does anyone have any sales numbers for the recent US reprints of the Fleming books? Are they selling well? ..... poorly? The reason I ask is that I the B&N and Books A Million in my area are not ordering the newest three (Thunderball, Live and Let Die, For Your Eyes Only) for their stock. I had to ask them to bring some in. Is anyone else having these difficulties or is it just me?

#2 Jriv71

Jriv71

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 17 June 2003 - 04:54 PM

Order online. B&N.com has 'em for $9.10. (That info was posted in another thread, somewhere.) Free shipping too, I think.

#3 Jriv71

Jriv71

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 17 June 2003 - 04:56 PM

Duh. I just saw the thread started by Zencat. Pretty easy to find...

#4 JackChase007

JackChase007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3446 posts

Posted 18 June 2003 - 07:15 PM

Yes, try BN.com - that's where I got my copies. You can also pre-order the next three - THE SPY WHO LOVED ME, ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE, and YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE.

#5 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 18 June 2003 - 07:21 PM

I’d go the other direction. Try a local non-chain bookstore. If they don’t have it order it from there. I’d much rather give my money to a small bookstore than one of the web-based bookstores or giant chains, particularly if you can find one that carries the Bond books anyway.

#6 philbowski

philbowski

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 235 posts

Posted 19 June 2003 - 04:34 AM

The real motive behind this thread was to find out how well (or poor) the new reprints are selling. Getting the books is no problem.... maybe my first post was just misleading.

#7 dennisbolt

dennisbolt

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted 28 July 2003 - 06:47 PM

I have NOT seen them in Waldenbooks or Borders. I even asked Waldenbooks staff to look it up and they only had audio books of Fleming:-(

#8 Icebreaker

Icebreaker

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 69 posts

Posted 06 August 2003 - 03:35 AM

Um...I dont think people are getting the question here. Your asking how well its performing in terms of many have been sold right? Unfortunately I dont know the answer to that, but I assume there is something you could look up online. Try some searches, but if that doesnt work you could ask your bookstore if they could look it up for you. Obviously they would keep track of those sorts of numbers. Hope that helps a bit

~ICeBReaKeR

#9 Pussfeller

Pussfeller

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts

Posted 02 September 2003 - 10:52 PM

I think that they're selling relatively well. A friend of mine who works at a Border's bookstore says that the sale of Bond books stabilized in the sixties following the Bondmania peak in about 1965 (coinciding with the release of "Thunderball") and remained fairly steady thereafter. He says that there is a surge of Book sales whenever a new movie is released, and a smaller surge whenever a new novel is published.

It is rare for bookstores to stock all of the Bond books, but most franchises (B&N, Borders, Waldenbooks, Books-a-Million, B. Dalton, Bookstar, etc.) stock the staples. By this I mean FRWL, LALD, OHMSS, GF, and the occasional collection of short stories.

I personally buy most of my books online at Amazon.com. I love the Amazon Marketplace feature (with the cheap pre-owned books). For all my Bond novels (about twelve), I have paid a grand total of about ten dollars. As far as Bond is concerned, I don't even bother with the bookstores anymore.