Roger's cigars

14 replies to this topic

#1 St.John Smythe

St.John Smythe

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 90 posts

Posted 15 June 2003 - 01:57 PM

I always liked that Roger's Bond smoked cigars. Does anyone know why they stopped this after the first two movies? I wonder if this was Roger's idea?

#2 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 15 June 2003 - 08:02 PM

Yes.. I liked that allot too! I always wondered why they stopped that?? It wasn't like it was the 1990's and everything had to be "PC"..

Maybe when they started TSWLM.. and felt that Roger was being used wrong,they wanted to start over??? I know they didn't liek they were trying to make roger..sean ..with roughing women around

ie: DAF = TMWTGG

so maybe they started over... or just forgot?? I think they should have brought that back in when John Glen started his reign as director!!:)

#3 St.John Smythe

St.John Smythe

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 90 posts

Posted 17 June 2003 - 01:28 AM

That would have been cool if John Glen brought it back. I always thought it was just one other subtle thing that seperated Moore's Bond from Connery's, who smoked cigarettes.

#4 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 17 June 2003 - 01:38 AM

Originally posted by St.John Smythe
I always thought it was just one other subtle thing that seperated Moore's Bond from Connery's, who smoked cigarettes.

I agree.

#5 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 17 June 2003 - 01:49 AM

nothing wrong with a damn good cigar, when u can get a damn good cigar

#6 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 17 June 2003 - 02:10 AM

I haven't read many 007 books... did they have Bond smoke cigars in any of them???

#7 1q2w3e4r

1q2w3e4r

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1336 posts

Posted 17 June 2003 - 04:58 AM

Bond smoked cigars in Roger's first two films because Roger used to smoke a heap of cigars at the time. I actually think it was in his contract that he could have as many as he wanted.

No Bond never smoked cigars in the novels. He found them repulsive and thought they were a sign of criminal tendancies. Though the last bit is him having a joke with himself. He excuses M from this list when M smokes a cherrot once a day.

#8 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 17 June 2003 - 10:57 PM

wow I never knew Roger was a smoker... Does anyone know if he still smokes cigars now?:cool:

#9 Rich Douglas

Rich Douglas

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1105 posts

Posted 18 June 2003 - 12:29 AM

Roger was a HUGE cigar smoker. It was in fact in his contract to have a box of cigars (partagas i believe) with each production. He was still smoking during the production of Octopussy, just watch the documentary on the DVD pretty much every shot that Roger is in he is smoking a cigar lol. Nothing wrong with cigars at all, not a thing.

Rich

#10 Rich Douglas

Rich Douglas

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1105 posts

Posted 18 June 2003 - 12:33 AM

Oh yeah.. and I found and article located here: http://www.cigarafic...342,740,00.html
In that article it talks about Brosnans Cuba scene from DAD and mentions this:

"The scene is also an accurate depiction of the character. According to the books written by Ian Fleming, on which the films are based, James Bond is regularly described lighting up a number of handmade smokes."

So in answer to your question 4ur, Bond did in fact smoke quite a bit in the books.

Rich

#11 1q2w3e4r

1q2w3e4r

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1336 posts

Posted 18 June 2003 - 02:31 AM

Oh yeah sorry. Bond did smoke a heap in the novels. He used to favour what were called "Moorlands Specials" (which fleming smoked) That were a balkan/turkish mix and had three gold rings around the base (to signify Fleming's rank of Commander). He usually went through about 60 a day though 70 wasn't unheard of (this is for both Bond and Fleming) and when they went out of business Bond switched to Senior Service.

#12 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 18 June 2003 - 06:07 AM

I wonder what kind of Cigars Roger smoked in the first 2 bond films he did?? I am not a huge cigar guy.. but they didn't look like a cuban? Do they make Cuban Cigar's very thin & long??

I wonder what was the best cigar next to a cuban in the early 1970's???

hmmmm....??

#13 1q2w3e4r

1q2w3e4r

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1336 posts

Posted 18 June 2003 - 07:39 AM

My guess is that Roger smoked Cuban's. Im sure someone could find out. Though he probably didn't during LALD since their illegal in the US.

They make all kinda of Cuban's so the size of it isn't an indicator of its origion. The best cigars generally come from Cuba, so i'd say more than likely he smoked cubans

#14 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 18 June 2003 - 11:17 AM

I know that Roger was smoking cigars during the filming of OP. Aside from the previously noted DVD documentary there are also a number of publicity stills from that movie in which Roger is smoking a cigar.
Interesting how the publics perception changes - there was such a fuss caused by Pierce smoking a cigar in DAD.

#15 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 20 June 2003 - 06:15 AM

yes I saw a bunch of behind the scenes stills of roger smoking cigars on Octopussy...

~didn't they also show some on the Extras Documentary on Octopussy as well??

I gotta go check that out.. now.. it is going to bug me:o;)

hahhahah