Best Non-007 Roger films

9 replies to this topic

#1 St.John Smythe

St.John Smythe

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 90 posts

Posted 15 June 2003 - 12:41 AM

I am a huge Roger Moore fan but I haven't seen him in anything but the 007 films, The Quest and Ffolkes. Can you guys recommend some of Roger's other movies that a good? Thanks:)

#2 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 15 June 2003 - 01:11 AM

Well "Ffolkes" really is great.
Another Roger Moore movie you should see is "The Sea Wolves".The Sea Wolves was made in 1980 and starred Roger Moore, Gregory Peck and David Niven.
It was an action adventure movie set in World War II. The 'Calcutta Light Horse' was a group of retired British military men who were living out a life of retirement in Calcutta, India.
In the neutral port of Goa there was German ship that was transmitting Allied shipping departures and maneuvers to a German U-Boat that would lie in wait for the unsuspecting merchant ships.
Since Goa was a Portugese neutral territory the British military could not directly attack the ship so they asked the members of the 'Calcutta Light Horse' to do it for them.
Also, you might also enjoy "Wild Geese" (1978) which teamed Roger Moore with Richard Burton and Richard Harris. In it Roger plays a member of a team of mercenaries that go to Africa to help extract a political leader. It led to a sequel "Wild Geese 2" which DID NOT star Roger.
A lot of Roger Moore fans like "Shout at the Devil" (1976) with Roger and Lee Marvin fighting the Germans in World War I. It was directed by Peter (OHMSS) Hunt and the titles were made by Maurice Binder.
Also made by Peter Hunt (I believe) was "Gold" which featured Roger as the Foreman of a gold mine in Africa. Some nasty villains (including Sir John Gielgud) plan to flood this mine in Africa thereby increasing the value of their own gold reserves. It also starred Susannah York.

#3 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 15 June 2003 - 03:29 AM

Originally posted by DLibrasnow
Well "Ffolkes" really is great.
Another Roger Moore movie you should see is "The Sea Wolves".The Sea Wolves was made in 1980 and starred Roger Moore, Gregory Peck and David Niven.
It was an action adventure movie set in World War II. The 'Calcutta Light Horse' was a group of retired British military men who were living out a life of retirement in Calcutta, India.
In the neutral port of Goa there was German ship that was transmitting Allied shipping departures and maneuvers to a German U-Boat that would lie in wait for the unsuspecting merchant ships.  
Since Goa was a Portugese neutral territory the British military could not directly attack the ship so they asked the members of the 'Calcutta Light Horse' to do it for them.
Also, you might also enjoy "Wild Geese"  (1978) which teamed Roger Moore with Richard Burton and Richard Harris. In it Roger plays a member of a team of mercenaries that go to Africa to help extract a political leader. It led to a sequel "Wild Geese 2" which DID NOT star Roger.  
A lot of Roger Moore fans like "Shout at the Devil" (1976) with Roger and Lee Marvin fighting the Germans in World War I. It was directed by Peter (OHMSS) Hunt and the titles were made by Maurice Binder.  
Also made by Peter Hunt (I believe) was "Gold" which featured Roger as the Foreman of a gold mine in Africa. Some nasty villains (including Sir John Gielgud) plan to flood this mine in Africa thereby increasing the value of their own gold reserves. It also starred Susannah York.

Very Cool.. you make them sound great.. I never saw any of these!

a great thing is I just look online at my local public library ..and they have The sea wolves!! so i will be getting that monday :)

Can you PLEASE put these in order of best to worst of the movies you names above..

thanks
:cool:

#4 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 15 June 2003 - 01:09 PM

Best to worst is a matter of preference. I think the best is either "The Sea Wolves" or "Wild Geese" and the worst is "Shout at the Devil". However I know a lot of Roger Moore fans like "Shout at the Devil" so who knows. "Gold" is kinda average.

One picture I forgot to mention was "Cannonball Run". In that 1981 movie Roger played a character named Seymour Goldfarb. The character was under the delusion that he was a movie actor named "Roger Moore" (and even drove the gadget laden Austin Martin DB5). I thought the movie was a little too quirky and goofy but some Bond fans might like it.

#5 St.John Smythe

St.John Smythe

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 90 posts

Posted 15 June 2003 - 01:50 PM

Thanks for all the info on his other movies. They sound pretty interesting. I'll definitely check out some of those. :)

#6 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 15 June 2003 - 08:09 PM

Originally posted by DLibrasnow
Best to worst is a matter of preference. I think the best is either "The Sea Wolves" or "Wild Geese" and the worst is "Shout at the Devil". However I know a lot of Roger Moore fans like "Shout at the Devil" so who knows. "Gold" is kinda average.

One picture I forgot to mention was "Cannonball Run". In that 1981 movie Roger played a character named Seymour Goldfarb. The character was under the delusion that he was a movie actor named "Roger Moore" (and even drove the gadget laden Austin Martin DB5). I thought the movie was a little too quirky and goofy but some Bond fans might like it.

well thats great to know!! :)

Luckly they have The Se wolves down the street.. I think I saw Cannonball Run and thought it was dumb and a nothing part for Roger..

Burt with his Car movies :):)

#7 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 15 June 2003 - 11:05 PM

Originally posted by 4 Ur Eyez Only

well thats great to know!! :)  

Luckly they have The Se wolves down the street.. I think I saw Cannonball Run and thought it was dumb and a nothing part for Roger..

Burt with his Car movies :):)

I have to agree....I am not an admirer of "Cannonball Run"....
Let me know what you think of "The Sea Wolves", I saw that one in the theater and always thought it was an interesting movie.

#8 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 16 June 2003 - 10:50 AM

Were there any movies that I missed?

#9 Coop

Coop

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 220 posts

Posted 16 June 2003 - 10:22 PM

My favourite non-007 Roger film is "Crossplot", made in 1969. It's like the pilot for an ITC action series (it was co-written by John Kruse, produced by Robert S Baker, and directed by Alvin Rakoff- all Saint veterans) and lots of fun.

I also like "The Man Who Haunted Himself", about a London businessman who finds he has a doppelganger. You can get it on DVD from Anchor Bay.

#10 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 16 June 2003 - 10:44 PM

I thought the ending to "The Man Who Haunted Himself" was a bit too wierd for me. Without ruining the ending it was a bit of a let down.
I had forgotten about "Crossplot" - it's been a long, long time since I have seen that.