This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Do you own the book, James Bond 007: The Secret World of 007?

25 replies to this topic

#1 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 14 June 2003 - 02:21 AM

Do any of you own the book, James Bond 007: The Secret World of 007 by Alastair Dougall? I do and I think it's really cool. If you don't already own it, you should get it! It is only $20.00 but some places such as Amazon.com sell it for much less.

Click here to buy it at Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.co...=glance&s=books

Book Description:

"From its foreword, written by MI6's very own chief, M, James Bond: the Secret World of 007 takes readers on a thrill-packed journey through the life and career of the world's most famous secret agent. Every major mission Bond has ever undertaken in the interests of world security, from Dr. No to The World Is Not Enough, is investigated and explained. Spectacular illustrations and photographs reveal, for the first time, the hidden workings of Bond's incredible vehicles and gadgets, the labyrinthine lairs, and masterplans of villains such as Ernst Stavro Blofeld, Elliot Carver, and Auric Goldfinger, and some of 007's most spectacular chases and battles. The book also explores Bond's lovelife, and his relationships with other key members of M16, such as M, Q, and Miss Moneypenny. In addition, a reference section gives details of the world famous movies based upon his amazing assignments. Officially endorsed by Eon Productions, creators of the Bond movies, this in-depth approach to Bond's career will bring 007 to life for fans of all ages."

NOTE: It was published in 2000, thats why it doesn't cover the Die Another Day mission.

#2 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 14 June 2003 - 02:53 AM

i am going to make a point to get that book, i have put it off long enough

#3 Jeff007

Jeff007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2076 posts

Posted 14 June 2003 - 05:17 AM

Yes, I have it. It's done well and it goes into a lot of fiction. i.e. the inside of Dr. No's steal hands. Something that is never explained. Quite interesting and good pictures.

#4 Sick Sense

Sick Sense

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 119 posts

Posted 14 June 2003 - 05:52 AM

The art work in it is a perfect replica of the events that happen in the film.

#5 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 14 June 2003 - 02:50 PM

The only thing wrong about this book is that it has a couple of minor errors, such as the "Skydive Duel" between Jaws and Bond from Moonraker is in the The Spy Who Loved Me section.

#6 superracer0022

superracer0022

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 255 posts

Posted 14 June 2003 - 03:00 PM

yeah its a great book, got it a year or two ago. its shows the layout of like every major set which is cool.

#7 freemo

freemo

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 2995 posts

Posted 15 June 2003 - 02:14 AM

Yeah, I got the book a few months back. Some terrific pictures, Very good. :)

#8 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 15 June 2003 - 03:22 AM

yall keep talking and i am going to go and buy it tomorrow

#9 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 17 June 2003 - 01:02 AM

Originally posted by BONDFINESSE 007
yall keep talking and i am going to go and buy it tomorrow

"Tomorrow" has passed, so did you get the book yet?

#10 dennisbolt

dennisbolt

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted 23 June 2003 - 07:50 PM

DK is the publisher-they always do very visula nd infographic books-they also did the Star Wars books. I like the illustrations in the Bond book.

This thread might be better in a forum on the movies, since this book does not deal with literary bond (just EON films), except in the fact that it itself is a book.

#11 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 28 June 2003 - 08:23 AM

Yep, I own it. Very neat book.

Originally posted by Righty007
The only thing wrong about this book is that it has a couple of minor errors, such as the "Skydive Duel" between Jaws and Bond from Moonraker is in the The Spy Who Loved Me section.

Actually, there's a reason for that. It's because that particular sequence has no revelance to the Moonraker movie. It's the same reason the Acrostar spread is located between the For Your Eyes Only and Octopussy sections.

#12 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 28 June 2003 - 01:46 PM

Thanks [dark], that explains alot.

#13 Dunph

Dunph

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3826 posts

Posted 28 June 2003 - 03:27 PM

Very cool book, especially (what I think) is the UK cover, just plain red with a silver 007 on the front (and obviously the title). Is this version also available in the US?

#14 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 28 June 2003 - 10:07 PM

Originally posted by Dunphboy007
Is this version also available in the US?

I dont think so because I have only seen the other version in US stores.

#15 Canada

Canada

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 158 posts

Posted 30 June 2003 - 04:03 AM

Great Book, I love the layout. Obviously they have a few more pages dedicated to some of the newer movies than others but the part I like the best is the drawings of villains complexes. I wish they even had more detail, but I guess it has to be simple enough for everyone.

#16 Bond111

Bond111

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2667 posts

Posted 30 June 2003 - 04:12 AM

Yeah there are some great drawings in this book. Another great feature is you can see some things that weren't explained in the movies. A must for any Bond fan.

#17 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 30 June 2003 - 05:06 AM

Originally posted by dennisbolt
This thread might be better in a forum on the movies, since this book does not deal with literary bond (just EON films), except in the fact that it itself is a book.

Well, we are discussing a book here so it's fine where it is. Thanks for the suggestion though. We'll leave it at that OK.

From what I've heard about this book, I've got to get myself a copy.

The cover that Dunphboy007 describes reminds me of the cover of the first printing of Benson's Bedside Companion.

#18 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 30 June 2003 - 05:53 AM

Originally posted by Righty007
"Tomorrow" has passed, so did you get the book yet?

i am going to get it but first i have to get my girlfriend an engagement ring, so the book might have to wait just a bit

#19 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 30 June 2003 - 12:14 PM

I see. :)

#20 Dunph

Dunph

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3826 posts

Posted 30 June 2003 - 01:03 PM

Congratulations on your (impending?) engagement, BONDFINESSE!
:)

#21 Icarus

Icarus

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 943 posts

Posted 11 July 2003 - 06:09 PM

I have The Secret World of 007, and I love it. I like how it explains things that never got explained in the movies, like Doctor No's hands and the Beemer 750's reinflatable tyres.

#22 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 11 July 2003 - 07:09 PM

Originally posted by Dunphboy007
Congratulations on your (impending?) engagement, BONDFINESSE!
:)

thanks dunphboy007...i am the happiest man in the world

#23 B007GLE

B007GLE

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 11 July 2003 - 08:04 PM

I must add to this forum, that I love this book.

I could never understand Scaramanga's funhouse until I got this book. It has some of the most amazing cross-sections of villains lairs, including Piz Gloria, the volcano base, the stealth boat, all that add to your enjoyment of the films.

I just wish they'd put out an update or some add on with DAD stuff. I'd love to see their layout of the ice palace.

#24 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 11 July 2003 - 10:14 PM

It's interesting because this book does that whole 'James Bond is a real person and there were films made of his missions' which I think could throw the casual fans. It states it somewhere near the back an also says that '007 has never commented on which portrayal of himself he prefers'.

I agree with all your comments though, the diagrams are superb and really help to explain, in particular, the villains side of things. ie. what their base is really like, where everything is , etc.

#25 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 12 July 2003 - 02:40 AM

Originally posted by dennisbolt
DK is the publisher-they always do very visula nd infographic books-they also did the Star Wars books. I like the illustrations in the Bond book.

yeah dk does a good many books on the super heros like spider man and batman and soforth, and being a batman fan i have the one they did on him and the one they did on hulk and they were great

#26 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 14 July 2003 - 09:15 AM

I managed to pick this book up last night from QB Books here in Jakarta. Lucky last. :)

I've only flicked through it, but as someone pointed out earlier the cutaways are fantastic.

One thing I noticed straight away though. The book has a section on The World is not Enough yet it has a couple of chevron shaped MI6 crests throughout the book instead of the circular one as seen on the floor in the movie.