10 replies to this topic

#1 Friedrich Baxter

Friedrich Baxter

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 426 posts

Posted 03 April 2002 - 08:53 AM

Having read all the articles of particular Bond movies, I've came up with something. Especially because it's at this 'Roger Moore' post very busy.

It's true that I've watched the following Bond movies the most: Goldfinger, OHMSS, Moonraker, TSWLM, Octopussy, The Living Daylights and EVEN Tomorrow Never Dies.

I think it has to do with the level of entertainment in this Bond movies. How much I appreciate Bond movies like FYEO, FRWL and LTK, I don't watch them very often. To be honest, the last time I saw Licence To Kill totally, was I think more than 1 year ago. There is much quality in for instance Licence To Kill, but the extravaganza of James Bond is not present here. For me it's just an American action movie which you can put beside Die Hard and Lethal Weapon.

James Bond is for me a true fantasy, which I desperately want to become true. But in Licence To Kill the character Bond is being made TOO real. The result is a less more entertaining 007, which is too close to reality. Although, the level of science fiction is very small, it's necessary to keep 007 alive.

Off course there are some 'helpers' of the Bond movies, like good and well crafted action sequences. The music is also VERY important. A Bond movie, like Moonraker fullfills all these details. A movie like TND has got almost all these elements, but the the overuse of action, resulted with me in 'not watching this movie that often.

There is also another point which I should make clear. We say that James Bond movies can stand on it's own very good, but STILL, 007 is influenced by other movies and also by world politics. Sometimes it are good influences, like in Moonraker and Octopussy, but sometimes the influences are not that good. LTK is a good example of it.

Having written these points, I can made a list of elements, which are necessary to make a HUGE succes of a Bond movie. A list of elements, which can result in the most watched Bond movie for me:

- A little bit of science fiction. Not too much reality. On that point it's maybe better not go back to much to Ian Fleming's character, like in LTK. Let 007 be humouristic. Good humourous one liners spoken by 007 are very important.
- A well crafted story. It's simple to say, but that's very important. But a well crafted story is not enough. It should also be simpel and understandable for everyone. As a said before; 'smoothly to follow'. A good motivated globe trotting by 007 is also very important.
- So, good POWERFULL locations, which can appeal to us, and which are familiair to us, are also very important. The tropical latin american Rio de Janeiro, the historic canals of Amsterdam, buildings like the Eiffel Tower, the Alps.......and what about a possible recording of the Sydney Opera house. Also good settings are important. Ken Adam was a mastermind in it, but his junior Peter Lamont is also doing a great job.
- The music. One of the most important elements. GoldenEye was one of my favourites, if the music was much better. Eric Serra, Michael Kamen, George Martin, Bill Conti and Marvin Hamlisch were very refreshing, but they were never used to make Bond music. Although the results are very good, John Barry, and also David Arnold have got the well suited predicate of Bond Composer.
- Some originality. AVTAK was the most bad examples of originality if you ask me. Octopussy was very political orientated, but in a very good way.

And now we have got Die Another Day. I must say this can be one of the most entertaining Bond movies if you ask me ;-) Big.........Bigger.........Biggest! That's also a very important element :-)

#2 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 04 April 2002 - 12:01 AM

Does anyone else notice the similarities between LTK, and The Godfather Part II, and TMWTGG book?
That is to say: the setting of the Carribean and the conference having to do with illegal activities in America.

#3 freemo

freemo

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 2995 posts

Posted 03 April 2002 - 11:45 AM

I agree with a fair bit of what you're saying. Bond is entertainment, fantasy, I've always felt that people who try to over analiyse Bond are missing the point.

Power locations is a must, and use the location, not just have Bond being there for the sake of it. Music ? Definatly, I concur.

Saying all that I think people are a bit harsh on LTK. Had it been made now fans would be prasing about how Bond is all serious and emotinally driven, since that seems to be what everyone wants now.

#4 Evil Doctor Cheese

Evil Doctor Cheese

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1019 posts

Posted 04 April 2002 - 09:37 PM

I have to say that the action doesn't appeal to me at all infact it totally detracts from the Bond expereince. I've been watching my Roger Moore films alot recently and I have to say that they are a guilty sin to me especially if you watch them compared to Dr No - Goldfinger films. They are alot of action and chases that I don't agree with, they do not furthur the plot at all and are often bigger than they need to be. For me Bond isn't BIG BIG BIG it's small, tense and weird. It's one man who has these huge vices that we love who is fighting a lone battle against the world's weirdest criminals. Goldfinger is considered the best because it has action that makes sense, the drive through the woods isn't that big but it's suspenseful and effective. If the action is going to be big then keep it short, TMWTGG's car chase was way too long and totally pointless. The audience want action you might say? Well why do people still say that Connery is the best and GF is the best Bond film? Mu answer has to be that Connery is brutal real character and the action is small but the suspense is huge. I'm entertained by the action but come on guys grow up! drop the action and give us a decent thriller again like FRWL, DN, FYEO. That's what Bond is about... suspense! For me it isn't the action and overt comedy that makes it entertaining. Only the Moneypenny and Q scenes should be overtly funny. You get my point... SUSPENSE ALL THE WAY BABY!

#5 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 30 May 2003 - 12:19 AM

Originally posted by freemo
I agree with a fair bit of what you're saying. Bond is entertainment, fantasy, I've always felt that people who try to over analiyse Bond are missing the point.

Well put Freemo!

#6 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 30 May 2003 - 04:18 AM

MOST of the Bond movies are fun! just plain fun entertainment.. but there is a handful which tried to go outside that and do something a little different..a little bit more serious with some action/fantasy

DN
FRWL
OYMSS
TSWLM
FOEO
LTK

#7 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 30 May 2003 - 11:10 AM

FOEO???

I must have missed that one :)

#8 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 31 May 2003 - 11:24 AM

oops... :)

I guess you can tell when I am posting very late at night.. and should be sleeping..

#9 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 31 May 2003 - 12:36 PM

no harm done, it happens

#10 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 31 May 2003 - 11:41 PM

I knew what you were referring too... :) It's all good.

#11 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 02 June 2003 - 07:51 AM

The way I see Bond.. Serious vs Entertainment..

Hey WE all know they are going to make a ton of these movies.. ONE bad movie that might have been different/took a chance.. is NOT going to kill the series..

I respect them, when they do take a chance and do something different!! It shows range to the whole series :)

OYMSS
FYEO
LTK

all made just "ok" to "poor" ..at the box office ..BUT tell me who would want those Bond Movies erased from the Series? I'd say NOBODY!

I like the risk.. and most of the time 10 years later.. you really love a change a pace