11 replies to this topic

#1 Jriv71

Jriv71

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 11 June 2003 - 03:39 PM

Not bad, not great. I think I was thrown at first, because after the 'Meek Ones' from Scorpius, I was hoping that Gardner would stay away from these moist names for evil organizations, and the 'Brotherhood of Anarchy and Secret Terror' made me want to puke.

The story was OK but, when did James Bond lose his balls? He's now getting bailed out in just about every situation. He gets kicked in the crotch by a girl, and a Marine has to save him; he almost gets shot at the end, and Beatrice has to save him; and it seemed like the only people he's able to kill in this book are the Wrens!

Maybe it's just me.

#2 James Boldman

James Boldman

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 454 posts

Posted 12 June 2003 - 10:59 AM

I haven't read the book yet but IMO Gardner did over do it just slightly with all the evil organisations:
eg. The new SPECTRE (wasn't a bad idea though)- For Special Services
the Society of Meek Ones- Scorpius
BAST- Win Lose, Or Die
the Scales of Justice- The Man From Barbarossa
etc.

#3 Jriv71

Jriv71

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 17 June 2003 - 05:02 PM

Originally posted by Jriv71

Maybe it's just me.

I guess it is just me.

I guess this is what pretty much started happening to Gardner in his later works...dwindling lack of interest due to dwindling quality.

#4 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 15 March 2005 - 04:48 PM

A better than average Gardner novel. I think the second half really picks up and doesn't stop until the end.

An interesting review in the Literary 007 section if anyone else wanted to read it.

#5 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 15 March 2005 - 04:56 PM

I liked the first half -- good locations and relationship. I liked the "hook" of the book that Bond is going back to the Royal Navy. But it sort of lost me when Bond goes onboard the Invincible. He becomes too much of a detective for my tastes.

But it's been a while so maybe it's time for a re-read. I'm forgotten much of the book.

#6 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 15 March 2005 - 09:13 PM

I've never read this Win, Lose or Die, but its reputation is interesting. Numerous critical reviews at the time were very favorable, more so than with a lot of previous Gardner Bond books. But I find the fan reaction rather mixed such as here. My brother in particular said he didn't like it very much.

#7 ComplimentsOfSharky

ComplimentsOfSharky

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2804 posts

Posted 15 March 2005 - 10:31 PM

He becomes too much of a detective for my tastes.

But it's been a while so maybe it's time for a re-read. I'm forgotten much of the book.

View Post

I think that's what Gardner did to Bond a bit too much - made him a glorified police officer. However, if I was going to suggest a Gardner I would probably rank this one up there...actually, just go reread a Fleming.

#8 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 15 March 2005 - 10:46 PM

I've never read this Win, Lose or Die, but its reputation is interesting. Numerous critical reviews at the time were very favorable, more so than with a lot of previous Gardner Bond books. But I find the fan reaction rather mixed such as here. My brother in particular said he didn't like it very much.

View Post

It's generally looked upon as an average-good James Bond continuation novel I would say. The 'Captain' Bond bit may turn off some fans of course. It was one of the most difficult Gardner's for me to track down, but it was a pleasent surprise compared with some of his others.

#9 Johnboy007

Johnboy007

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6990 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 11:15 PM

View Post

It's generally looked upon as an average-good James Bond continuation novel I would say. The 'Captain' Bond bit may turn off some fans of course. It was one of the most difficult Gardner's for me to track down, but it was a pleasent surprise compared with some of his others.

View Post

I had read Never Send Flowers as my first Gardner, so I missed out on the Captain Bond promotion. I think it was an unnecessary touch to Bond, everyone knows him as a Commander, and there isn't much point in promoting him to captain. Didn't mind most of the changes Gardner made, but that and the somewhat feminimity (I don't think that's actually a word if it is I can't imagine it's spelled right. :) ).

Besides, Commanderbond.net sounds so much better than CaptainBond.net.

:)

#10 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 11:18 PM

View Post

View Post

I had read Never Send Flowers as my first Gardner, so I missed out on the Captain Bond promotion. I think it was an unnecessary touch to Bond, everyone knows him as a Commander, and there isn't much point in promoting him to captain.

Besides, Commanderbond.net sounds so much better than CaptainBond.net.

:)

View Post

Agreed on both points.

http://dictionary.re...ch?q=feminimity :)

#11 Johnboy007

Johnboy007

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6990 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 11:22 PM

Hehe, it's Spring Break, my mind isn't exactly in spelling mode. :)

Does it explain exactly why he was promoted?

#12 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 11:27 PM

Been a while since I read it, but he was temporarily promoted because of the mission coming up? (That level of authority would be helpful? Needed?)