36 replies to this topic

#1 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 10 June 2003 - 01:47 PM

It's celebration time. It was 20 years ago today that Octopussy was released in the U.S.

It was the only time I have, so far, been to a Bond film on the day it was released. Instead of being released in one of the main theaters in my town, it was put into an older second-run theater in another town not far away. It was amusing because the marquee outside the auditorium just read "James Bond". Somebody must have been embarrassed by the title.

1983 was the year of the Battle of the Bonds hype as NSNA was also waiting to be released. OP lived up to its end and remains my favorite Moore film.

#2 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 10 June 2003 - 02:05 PM

Oh lord....

Yup....20 years...

I'm feeling rather old right now, yet fondly remembering standing in front of the theater with a few friends and wondering if NSNA was actually going to be released in July....

OP was fun though.

"007 on an island populated exclusively by women?...We won't see him until morning."

Good old Q.

#3 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 10 June 2003 - 03:05 PM

I was going to post this same thread. You beat me to it, Turn. :) But I love the story about the theater that wouldn't put the title on the marquee. Classic.

Here's my contribution. "Today's" newspaper -- June 10, 1983.

#4 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 10 June 2003 - 04:14 PM

i will watch it today today in honor of the anniversary, 20 years...how time flies

#5 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 10 June 2003 - 04:31 PM

20 years...I can hardly believe it. I remember all the hype at the time that 1983 marked the 21st anniversary of the start of the Bond movie series -- ITV even had a nice special on it.
I have fond memories of going to see OP at the movie theater, it just seems incredible that 20 years has passed.
1983 was a great year to be a Bond fan, not one but two new movies opening and all the media hype that surrounded that.

#6 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 10 June 2003 - 05:02 PM

Originally posted by DLibrasnow
1983 was a great year to be a Bond fan, not one but two new movies opening and all the media hype that surrounded that.

And let's not forget ICEBREAKER.

'83 was a great Bond year.

#7 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 10 June 2003 - 05:10 PM

Originally posted by zencat

And let's not forget ICEBREAKER.

'83 was a great Bond year.

Very true....my favorite of all the John Gardner Bond novels.

#8 DanMan

DanMan

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2009 posts

Posted 10 June 2003 - 07:46 PM

That's a cool poster Zencat, thanks for posting it.

#9 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 10 June 2003 - 07:54 PM

I think another thing that came out that year, if I'm not mistaken, is the Bond role-playing game. I remember going to the house of a woman who ran a mystery book store in early '84, where one of the guys who created the game introduced it and several of us played.

I actually bought it and a couple of the game scenarios a few years later when my friends were into playing Risk and other similar games. But to this day, it is still unplayed and sitting in a closet at my parents house since I don't think anybody could figure it out.

That was a great time to be a fan. There were tons of magazine articles at the time. The tv specials like DLibraSnow mentioned and other features seemed to be all over the place. One I still have on a tape somewhere is the Siskel and Ebert special Bond retrospective.

#10 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 10 June 2003 - 08:02 PM

Originally posted by DanMan
That's a cool poster Zencat, thanks for posting it.

I have the opening day newspaper ads from every movie from OP to DAD. I'll post each one on the 20th Anniversay, how about that? :)

#11 Dmitri Mishkin

Dmitri Mishkin

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 10 June 2003 - 08:03 PM

I have the opening day newspaper ads from every movie from OP to DAD. I'll post each one on the 20th Anniversay, how about that? :)

Are we only going to get from Octopussy on then? The others' 20th anniversaries have already past :)

#12 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 10 June 2003 - 08:39 PM

I think zencat is saying that he only has the opening day newspaper ads from OP onwards.

#13 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 10 June 2003 - 08:48 PM

The next film to have a 20th anniversary is 'AVTAK' in 2005!

#14 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 10 June 2003 - 08:52 PM

Well, don't forget about NSNA this Fall.

Then, yes, 2005 for AVTAK. (Unless I break down and just do thread with all of them -- which I will no doubt do. :))

#15 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 10 June 2003 - 08:59 PM

no way... oh my god :)

I remember it like it was yesturday ... I saw it not opening night but 2 days later...

then saw it maybe 6 more times after that :)

To this day that was the BEST movie going experience I have ever had!!!!:)

wow 20 years..

I was 12 :cool:

#16 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 10 June 2003 - 09:51 PM

Then, yes, 2005 for AVTAK. (Unless I break down and just do thread with all of them -- which I will no doubt do. :))

I have a soft spot for NSNA.... Great femme fatale in Fatima Blush and some of the best dialogue.

#17 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 10 June 2003 - 10:02 PM

I too like NSNA :)

I think Sean did a nice job in this one!! The script and movie was off ..sorta a wannabe roger 007 feel..

But sean clearly did a better job acting in this one then his last few in his original Bond run!

I did like that they showed bond older and wrote that in the script! also that the secret service was not as funded! so stuff didn't work as well.. that was different and pretty cool

#18 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 10 June 2003 - 10:08 PM

I actually rank NSNA quite highly on my list of Bond movies. It has some of the best dialogue of any James Bond movie.
Sean Connery looks in much better shape than the chubby actor who played 007 in DAF, and, in NSNA he acts his age - and does so admirably.

Next is the wonderful Barbara Carrera, she virtually oozes sexuality and danger. I think Fatima is probably my favorite femme fatale of the entire series. "Going down, one should always be relaxed."
Kim Basinger turned in a truly remarkable performance and is one of the most breathtaking women to play the female lead in a Bond movie.
Klaus Maria Brandeur was a wonderful Largo (much better than Adolpho Celi in TB).
All three of these supporting actors turned in impassioned performances in NSNA.

I also liked Edward Fox as M. I think he did a much better job than weak pretender Robert Brown in the competing film OP. I also liked the Q scene "Now that you are on the case I hope we are going to get some gratuitous sex and violence."

Rowan Atkinson was also a nice addition to the cast as was the always great Bernie Casey.

The sets were well designed and there were a number of well designed action sequences sprinkled throughout the movie.

#19 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 10 June 2003 - 10:23 PM

Yeah Sean had energy for this one!!!! he did look beat down in YOLT and a Fat Math Teacher in DAF..

I think they should fix this one.. put the Bond Theme in there and just have a better score..

that was a surprising chose of the director of Empire Strikes Back..

*I think the pressure of having Sean coming back.. made Octopussy a high energy set! They just mopped up on Sean's comeback ..

:cool:

#20 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 10 June 2003 - 10:23 PM

Unfortunately I missed OP in the theater but I did see NSNA.Thunderball was my favorite film and the first JB I ever saw (TV) and I didn't know going in to NSNA it was gonna be a remake. I liked the movie but it's not as good as OP or TB. Without a gun barrel or signature music it just wasn't 100% Bond. And Sean's intro("my name is...") while Domino is playing the video game 'centipides' really dates the film. The score is lousy and I didn't care for Kim Basigner when The first Domino was so much hotter!

Roger looks '7 tall in that add! ABC always said OP was "The best Bond film ever...." :)

#21 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 10 June 2003 - 10:26 PM

Originally posted by 4 Ur Eyez Only

I think they should fix this one.. put the Bond Theme in there  [/B]

NO, No, No...... NSNA is so good precisely because it is different.

It could do with a different score but don't put the Bond theme or the gunbarrel on there.

#22 MarkA

MarkA

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 10 June 2003 - 10:32 PM

I went to the premier of Octopussy in London. 20 years ago! What happened to time

#23 Kingdom Come

Kingdom Come

Discharged

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3572 posts

Posted 10 June 2003 - 10:42 PM

I also rememeber going to a theatre to see Octopussy in a little town called Killarney in the west coast of Ireland. I was not impressed by the film, though since then I regard it as one of my own favourites. It's a more mature Bond film than we had up till then and helped greatly by Alan Hume's stunning cinematography and of course India!
Few cinematographers could go wrong with that location.

#24 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 11 June 2003 - 01:24 AM

The cinematography of OP is quite breath taking.

#25 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 11 June 2003 - 01:27 AM

if they could have just left out that tarzan yell

#26 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 11 June 2003 - 01:28 AM

I didn't forget about 'NSNA', it's just that I don't care about it since it's not official.

#27 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 11 June 2003 - 01:46 AM

I couldn't give a toss about whether it's official or not...

All this fuss about NSNA not being "official" (whatever the hell makes one movie official and another not) is just silly. Who cares if EON did or didn't make it...What does that matter??? I like NSNA because it is different.

#28 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 11 June 2003 - 06:51 AM

Originally posted by BONDFINESSE 007
if they could have just left out that tarzan yell

I agree.. that dude in post production ..was trying to go for one more big laugh..

They had the "SIT".. which was funny and huge

but seconds later they tried for one more..

*perfect movie.. but that is the only "dumb" part

#29 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 11 June 2003 - 06:54 AM

oh yeah...

I think that same "Post guy".. put in that stupid beach boys joke in AVTAK also:rolleyes:

That must suck when you have a great moment or stunt and some moron in Post production ruines it

:mad:

hey I bet it was the same guy who added the "whistle" sound FX in TMWTGG car jump stunt;)

we should choke that guy;)

#30 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 11 June 2003 - 06:58 AM

Originally posted by 4 Ur Eyez Only

I agree.. that dude in post production ..was trying to go for one more big laugh..

They had the "SIT".. which was funny and huge

but seconds later they tried for one more..  

*perfect movie.. but that is the only "dumb" part

And don't forget the "hiss off" gag as well. That whole sequence went over board in the lame gag department. It would have been bearable with just the one.

Dare I say it. Makes one gag, really.