15 replies to this topic

#1 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 09 June 2003 - 02:38 PM

Chatting on here about the Tom Mankiewicz audio commentary to LALD yesterday I decided to sit down and listen to the commentary again last night. In the first few minutes of the commentary Mankiewicz chats about how Roger was a lot closer to Flemings image of Bond than Sean Connery was.
That, combined with the Fleming passage (often cited by Moore as the basis of his portrayal) that Bond had just returned from a mission, he had killed but didn't like it, convinces me that Moore played Bond better than Connery. In the documentary "Inside Live and Let Die" Roger even confessed to reading the Fleming novels prior to starting his stint as James Bond.

#2 goldengun

goldengun

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 209 posts

Posted 09 June 2003 - 03:42 PM

Doesn't Roger get "knocked" for not even opening a Fleming book prior to filming any Bond film?

I actually like the Commentary TM supplied on LALD, he doesn't hold anything back - and is more "to the point" than others.

However, I always wished that the DVD's would present more outtakes, more main actor/actress commentaries.

P.S. - Thanks to the dilligent and ever-resourceful "4 Ur Eyez Only" - I have a wonderful Moore avtar to show you all...looks nice wouldn't you agree?

#3 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 09 June 2003 - 05:15 PM

as for the topic...

with soooo much smoke there has to be some fire!

there is waaaaaaaaay to many people saying that Roger was the "chosen one":)

#4 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 09 June 2003 - 08:05 PM

i believe it cause he looks it, or did at the time, and what with the saint it seems to ring true

#5 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 09 June 2003 - 09:23 PM

Originally posted by goldengun
Doesn't Roger get "knocked" for not even opening a Fleming book prior to filming any Bond film?

Well some people don't have a clue what they are talking about. It's a well known fact that Roger read the Fleming Bond books and based his portrayal on material that Fleming wrote about the character.

Anyone who disputes that is either ignorant, stupid or both. That's not a comment, it's a fact!

#6 1q2w3e4r

1q2w3e4r

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1336 posts

Posted 10 June 2003 - 06:56 AM

Thats great. But if the source material isn't there on the script it doesn't matter how could a job he could, would, or should do, or how many Fleming novels he read.

Mankiewicz wrote arguably three of the worst Bond movies. LALD you could argue an exception for, until the car chase with JW and the old lady in the plane. Rog had some good stuff there early on.

Connery even looked bad when Maiubam wasn't writing YOLT, DAF, but I Fleming was certianlly more than impressed with Connery when he meet him. And if you go back through Fleming's novels I think Connery is closer to Fleming's image of Bond.

Bond never viewed himself as an "Englishman" he always felt that there was something foreign about him. This goes back through the novels WAY before OHMSS when Connery met Fleming. I guess you could say he wanted Roger because he was a well known actor in England at the time. No one, certianlly not Fleming had even heard of Connery at the time. And when he heard he was an ex-truck driver and milk man he understandably freaked a little.

However, Fleming also wanted David Niven before Connery took over, and we all know how that one turned out.

#7 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 10 June 2003 - 09:05 PM

Originally posted by 1q2w3e4r
Thats great.  But if the source material isn't there on the script it doesn't matter how could a job he could, would, or should do, or how many Fleming novels he read.

Mankiewicz wrote arguably three of the worst Bond movies.  LALD you could argue an exception for, until the car chase with JW and the old lady in the plane.  Rog had some good stuff there early on.  

Connery even looked bad when Maiubam wasn't writing YOLT, DAF, but I Fleming was certianlly more than impressed with Connery when he meet him.  And if you go back through Fleming's novels I think Connery is closer to Fleming's image of Bond.

Bond never viewed himself as an "Englishman" he always felt that there was something foreign about him.  This goes back through the novels WAY before OHMSS when Connery met Fleming.  I guess you could say he wanted Roger because he was a well known actor in England at the time.  No one, certianlly not Fleming had even heard of Connery at the time.  And when he heard he was an ex-truck driver and milk man he understandably freaked a little.  

However, Fleming also wanted David Niven before Connery took over, and we all know how that one turned out.

Very Cool Name "1q2w3e4r".. what does it mean??

#8 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 10 June 2003 - 10:31 PM

Originally posted by 1q2w3e4r

Well David Niven was hampered by a truly terrible script and a great deal of on the set tension and infighting.

Another choice was Cary Grant, but Grant was only interested in making one movie.

I think Roger is a lot closer to Flemings 007 than Connery.

#9 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 11 June 2003 - 07:09 AM

It seems like there were allot of guys in his mind besides sean..

I guess sean didn't knock his socks off..

I agree.. how can you get real pumped up over a guy who can play only 2 emotions..plus be a weird bitter guy on the set..

sean is a weird bitter guy even to this day..

#10 1q2w3e4r

1q2w3e4r

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1336 posts

Posted 11 June 2003 - 08:05 AM

Nick means it was the easiest thing to remember and think of.

Two emotions. Well he's done pretty good to win the oscar then. Guess Rog better get something else to go with the raised eyebrow. :)

Seriously I think Connery was the right Bond to begin with. A much more masculine image Bond was portrayed. Kinda hard to see Rog having matched it.

#11 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 11 June 2003 - 08:54 AM

u still haven't told us what your user name means;)

did you just pick letter & numbers.. or is that from one of the movies somewhere????

#12 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 11 June 2003 - 11:38 AM

Originally posted by 4 Ur Eyez Only

sean is a weird bitter guy even to this day..

Very bitter, he even took EON to court, suing them for more money. Very sad excuse for a .....

#13 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 12 June 2003 - 06:34 AM

yeah I think sean is a pretty odd man.. Honeyrider tells a story of the first time she meet him.. he was bitter and odd..(and thats before he was famous)

I just read a story that Roger showed up on the set of Goldeneye.. to wish Pierce good luck :)

thats a cool dude.. I mean pierce must have been nervious..and for the biggest bond ever (well 1 or 2) to be nice enough to let him know that hey we are in a club and just relax & have fun.. was pretty cool

:cool:

#14 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 12 June 2003 - 06:42 AM

it just goes to show what a class act roger is, class all the way

#15 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 12 June 2003 - 08:43 AM

u still haven't told us what your user name means;)

did you just pick letter & numbers.. or is that from one of the movies somewhere????

Look at your keyboard. Look at number 1. Look at what's below it. Continue in this vein. Then have a bit of a think.

#16 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 12 June 2003 - 11:28 AM

I just read a story that Roger showed up on the set of Goldeneye.. to wish Pierce good luck :)

thats a cool dude.. I mean pierce must have been nervious..and for the biggest bond ever (well 1 or 2) to be nice enough to let him know that hey we are in a club and just relax & have fun.. was pretty cool

:cool:

Rogers visit to the GE set is covered in the making of... book released in 1995. He quipped (and this may not be exact - I don't have it directly in front of me)--

"They've seen the first shots of Pierce, and he isn't up to the part. They've called me and I'm back on the job." (or words to that effect).

Roger has kept on good terms with the EON camp. Sean on the other hand hates EONs guts.