Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 08 June 2003 - 04:43 PM

From The Sunday Times, today June 8 2003. Copyright News International 2003

Article by Andrew Lycett, he of the Fleming biography

(Goes on more than this - worth reading; sensationalist headline and is really a report on the Indiana University thingie)

"Pussy Galore would have purred in agreement. Lesbians regard Sean Connery as the most attractive screen James Bond because his stylised masculinity accords with the butch persona that they like to project. Pierce Brosnan does not do it for them: his 007 has been over-prettified to appeal to a wider female audience in today's politically correct times.

"As Jaime Hovey, assistant professor of English at the University of Illinois at Chicago, memorably put it last weekend: "James's transformation from murderously efficient prick (word beginning with P, rhymes with sick, if the asterisks have worked their magic) to stylishly accesorised dildo" is neither interesting nor sexy"

Pierce Brosnan: Stylishly Accesorised Dildo (or S.A.D - hmm...)

Very, very odd things have been happening in Indiana. Remainder of article reports equally crazed debate. Fun fun fun.

#2 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 08 June 2003 - 04:51 PM

At last, the lesbians have spoken! Now I know how to think. :)

#3 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 08 June 2003 - 10:33 PM

I didn't know it was a good thing to be a P****. But never mind....

Any links to this article?

-- Xen

#4 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 11 June 2003 - 01:57 PM

But murdering people is okay? I don't think judging Jamesbonddoubleohseven's morals is a very wise idea.

Just wanted to bring this thread back basically because I like the dildo thing. Marvellous.

#5 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 11 June 2003 - 02:33 PM

Originally posted by marktmurphy

Just wanted to bring this thread back basically because I like the dildo thing. Marvellous.

...not that this is capable of being misconstrued in any way.

I think "the Lesbians" have a point though - is James Bond (as a concept) still directed at the same audience as it was forty-one years ago? Has it moved from a male wish-fulfliment to a unisex (neutered?) character? Basically, fifty years on from the carpet beater incident, have his testicles been removed - and been replaced by a dildo?

#6 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 11 June 2003 - 06:29 PM

Not sure they have been replaced by a dildo, or indeed anything at all. Certainly they seem to have become more polite though.

The male wish fulfillment on the part of the (male) audience is still there (I believe) but we're just not allowed to express this or at least advocate it.

So the audience is there, but just not served in quite the same way.

#7 License To Kill

License To Kill

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1556 posts

Posted 11 June 2003 - 09:42 PM

Weird....

#8 DanMan

DanMan

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2009 posts

Posted 13 June 2003 - 01:04 AM

I don't think Bond's "jewels" have been replaced by a dildo , nor do I believe that the character has been changed to target a female audience. Just because Brozzie doesn't hit women, doesn't make him any less masculine than Connery.

#9 DanMan

DanMan

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2009 posts

Posted 13 June 2003 - 01:07 AM

And by the way, why do we care which Bond is considered the most attractive by lesbians? It's not like their interested in him or anything.

#10 Brix Bond

Brix Bond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1503 posts

Posted 13 June 2003 - 01:16 AM

"It's not like their interested in him or anything."

He must have appealed to their maternal instincts...

#11 DanMan

DanMan

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2009 posts

Posted 13 June 2003 - 04:45 PM

LOL, Brix.

#12 TheSaint

TheSaint

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3067 posts

Posted 09 July 2003 - 05:11 AM

Good point, DanMan. At least they didn't diss Roger.

#13 White Tuxedo

White Tuxedo

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 27 July 2003 - 03:05 AM

Well, while we are on the topic of dildos and testicles, I thought I would give my catch phrase opinion of Roger Moore: He had a bigger Vag!na than the Bond girls.

#14 DanMan

DanMan

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2009 posts

Posted 27 July 2003 - 03:33 AM

Okay...

#15 Dr.Carl Mortner

Dr.Carl Mortner

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 281 posts

Posted 27 July 2003 - 07:48 PM

"Well, while we are on the topic of dildos and testicles, I thought I would give my catch phrase opinion of Roger Moore: He had a bigger Vag!na than the Bond girls"

I'm not sure whether to ignore this post or fight it, but it's my duty as the blunt instrument of the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Roger Moore to not only protest this post but make damn sure it never happens again. Roger may not have been as "macho" as Sean but he is all man - how in the world could anyone think otherwise?

Furthermore, I think Roger is a fine example of masculinity in real life. He's sensitive without being a wuss. He cares about his fellow man. He doesn't take life too seriously - he's always there with a great one-liner, just as he was when he played Bond. We could make a comparison to the real-life, wife-beating, greedy, ornery Connery, but let's not;P.