3 replies to this topic

#1 Jacques Nexus

Jacques Nexus

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 18 August 2001 - 11:49 AM

Everybody remembers the overwhelming negative reaction to her possible casting in Bond 20, and in particular to her drug habit which got up almost every one's nose (no pun intended). Anyway, the whole drug thing has made me think of an interesting angle that people may not have thought of before.

Fleming buffs would know the Bond of the early novels (aswell as some villains) used a drug called BENZEDRINE. He used it occassionally before going into dangerous situations and also during the famous bridge game with Drax in the MOONRAKER novel (M didn't like 007 using the stuff). Benzedrine wasn't illegal and I don't know how it compares with other drugs but it obviously was a stimulant (not to mention Fleming's Bond was a very heavy drinker and smoker). Also...people should be aware that the great Sherlock Holmes of Conan-Doyle's stories was also a...COCAINE ADDICT !.

Although I also thought Whitney Houston is a bad idea for Bond 20 (just on acting ability alone) just spare a thought on the fact that Fleming's Bond could in today's world be classed as a possible SUBSTANCE ABUSER. Other fans may have different views on my assertion...so let's see your responses.

P.S. If anybody knows what benzedrine actually is and how the drug is considered by today's standards...please drop a line here.

#2 White Persian

White Persian

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 19 August 2001 - 06:40 AM

spacebabe (18 Aug, 2001 01:19 p.m.):

Benzedrine is an amphetamine.... The short term effects are a heightened sense of power, strength, motivation and focus, as well as heightened athletic ability, which last for several hours. The user feels he can 'take on the world'. After affects include depression and physical fatigue. Short term use of relatively harmless, but long term heavy use can lead to heart failure, psychosis and depression. This kind of drug abuse is associated with violent behaviour more than any other drug.

You're a mine of information, Spacebabe!
Doesn't this description fit Fleming's Bond to a "T"! Even Bond's breakdown after Tracy's assassination ties in with the depression side effect.

#3 spacebabe

spacebabe

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 45 posts

Posted 18 August 2001 - 12:18 PM

This is where my brief career in medical school actually becomes useful...

Benzedrine is an amphetamine. A chemical (not natural, like cocaine) group of drugs (of which there are several varieties, usually referred to as 'speed' or 'uppers') that can be sniffed, snorted or injected. They suppress the need to sleep and eat (and are now widely used as a diet aid for their appetite suppressant qualities).

I don't know how technical you want it, but basically they affect the central nervous system, stimulating the release of neurotransmitter dopamine, which creates a rush of euphoria. It is similar to cocaine, but because of it's unique chemical composition is not so easily broken down and removed from the body, hence the effects last longer.

The short term effects are a heightened sense of power, strength, motivation and focus, as well as heightened athletic ability, which last for several hours. The user feels he can 'take on the world'. After affects include depression and physical fatigue. Short term use of relatively harmless, but long term heavy use can lead to heart failure, psychosis and depression. This kind of drug abuse is associated with violent behaviour more than any other drug.

In the 50s and 60s, amphetamines were widely used as an appetite suppressant, and, ironically, an antidepressant. During this time they were legal, and could be bought for medical purposes.
Amphetamines are now a class B drug (except when prepared for injection, when it becomes a class A).

#4 Jacques Nexus

Jacques Nexus

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 19 August 2001 - 12:38 PM

My goodness !...this is really good stuff I'm reading here. Now that we know what benzedrine is then how does this information affect our perceptionion of Fleming's Bond ?...The booze, the birds, the tobacco, the benzedrine, the bullets, the bombs, the tortures, the heartaches...Fleming's Bond sure as hell LIVED LIFE ON THE EDGE !.