This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Did Roger ever do a "Spy/007" Type movie after 1985?

15 replies to this topic

#1 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 05:52 AM

I remember about 8 years ago when I was in a Blockbuster I saw a box for a movie.. and Roger Moore was on the cover.. and it looked a FAKE James Bond Movie.. It was made after 1985's AVTAK..

To this day I can't remember the name of it.. I never saw the movie.. but was wondering if anyone here knows what I am talking about.. I believe it might have been in the late 1980's.. maybe 1987?

But I remember sorta laughing at it.. that someone paid Roger to make a spy type film..

I can be 100% wrong.. because I didn't see it, and only looked at the Box for maybe 25 seconds..

does anyone know what movie I am talking about??? Did roger ever do any spy type movies after james bond?

#2 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 10:52 AM

A View To A Kill (1985) was Roger's last film of the 1980's and I don't think he has been in any spy films since Bond.

#3 homerjbond

homerjbond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1917 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 12:15 PM

He starred with Michael Caine in a little movie called "Bullseye!", which came out in 1990.

They played con-men who ended being involved in some sort of espionage plot. I haven't seen it but remember it coming out.

He also did a cameo voice in "The Saint" movie with Val Kilmer...he was the voice on the radio in Simon's Volvo.

#4 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 12:19 PM

I think the film you are talking about is Fire, Ice and Dynamite. I saw the posters in the Odeon Cinema but I believe it may have had a limited release as it never arrived.

It was directed by Willy Bogner of skiing film unit fame.

#5 homerjbond

homerjbond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1917 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 12:34 PM

I don't think "Fire, Ice and Dynamite" had anything to do with spy/espionage, it's more of a winter sports movie (as you said, it's directed by the Bond skiing director/photographer)

#6 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 12:55 PM

There was some artwork for ffolkes that made it look like a Bond movie. If I remember right, it was designed kind of like the DAF poster as the movie is about hijacked oil rigs. It came out in 1980. That Lucky Touch, which came out in the late '60s, also had a video box that made it look like it was from a Bond movie too.

#7 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 01:14 PM

Originally posted by Turn
There was some artwork for ffolkes that made it look like a Bond movie. If I remember right, it was designed kind of like the DAF poster as the movie is about hijacked oil rigs. It came out in 1980. That Lucky Touch, which came out in the late '60s, also had a video box that made it look like it was from a Bond movie too.

Yes, the video cover for the US release of "Ffolkes" was made very much in the style of the James Bond posters with Roger striking a very Bond-like pose. It is my favorite Roger Moore movie, it is a lot of fun and also starred James Mason, Anthony (Psycho) Perkins and David (Live and Let Die) Hedison. The later edition of the movie on videotape had a very different cover. The DVD will be released later this year so it will be interesting to see what artwork they choose to use.

#8 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 01:19 PM

Originally posted by homerjbond
I don't think "Fire, Ice and Dynamite" had anything to do with spy/espionage, it's more of a winter sports movie (as you said, it's directed by the Bond skiing director/photographer)

Yeah, but it was made in '87, had action and chases in it and is the closest thing to a spy movie that Moore made after he left Bond - yes,no?

#9 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 01:32 PM

Originally posted by Simon

Yeah, but it was made in '87, had action and chases in it and is the closest thing to a spy movie that Moore made after he left Bond - yes,no?

I have never seen it, but I noticed the poster for it in the background of the Willy Bogner interviews on the DVDs so I searched for it on amazon. I notice that you can order it from amazon.uk -- is it any good?

#10 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 01:38 PM

Never seen it so on that I cannot comment.

An ex girlfriend saw it on Sky TV though and she said it was a bit of fluff - I'm sure the ski sequences will be good though.

#11 homerjbond

homerjbond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1917 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 02:29 PM

Originally posted by Simon

Depends on what kind of movie 4 Ur Eyez Only saw - if it was strictly action or if it had spy elements in it.

I remember seeing "ffolkes" a long time ago and remember it being fun. Didn't Roger Moore's character had a thing for cats? How ironic!

#12 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 04:40 PM

But ffolkes was made before Moore gave up Bond. 1980 wasn't it?

The crux of the matter is that 4Eyez said it was made after 1985. And he didn't see the movie - just the video box.

#13 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 05:47 PM

yeah I seem to remember it said 1987ish? but it could have been a re-release and new packaging?? of ffolks?
hmmmm...??

the cover had a whole spy feel... and when I saw the cover it shocked me because I thought Roger said he was to old to play bond in his eyes.. then why play a fake bond?? that was my thoughts..

but I bet it was a guy who made a new cover to trick you into renting it..

#14 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 06:26 PM

Originally posted by homerjbond

Depends on what kind of movie 4 Ur Eyez Only saw - if it was strictly action or if it had spy elements in it.

I remember seeing "ffolkes" a long time ago and remember it being fun.  Didn't Roger Moore's character had a thing for cats?  How ironic!

Yes Roger Moore's character does like cats. That's why the "Jennifer, Ruth, Esther" thing at the end is so cool.

#15 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 06:34 PM

I have to see ffolks.. they dont have it here anywhere at the video stores...

it sounds interesting :)

#16 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 09 May 2003 - 11:35 AM

Originally posted by 4 Ur Eyez Only
I have to see ffolks.. they dont have it here anywhere at the video stores...

it sounds interesting :)

"Ffolkes" (note the spelling) will be released on DVD later this year. It is available for preorder on Amazon.com. It was of course known as "North Sea Hijack" in the UK.