This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Actors who were almost cast in Bond movies.

2 replies to this topic

#1 White Persian

White Persian

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 13 August 2001 - 07:10 PM

Thought it might be fun to look at some of the actors *almost* cast in key Bond roles, such as Jack Palance as Scaramanga, or Orson Welles as Blofeld [in Kevin McClory's first attempt to redo T'ball].
I recently read the name of an actor [sorry, forgotten his name- it wasn't Meatloaf] who knocked back the part of Renard.
I, for one, would love to see footage of Jan Werich as Blofeld in YOLT.

#2 db-4

db-4

Cadet

• Crew
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 August 2001 - 02:09 AM

Julie Christie was set for THUNDERBALL but was let out of her contract to do DR. ZHIVAGO. Oh, well, Dr. No Part IV, Dr. Zhivago, whatever.

Timothy Dalton was considered a few films before he did THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS, when he was way too young for it, when the producers had their bi-annual negotiation ploy w/Roger Moore.

John Gavin had been considered for the first Eon Bond, as well as being later signed for DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER. I have never understood the producers' infatuation w/Gavin. Watch PSCHO -- he looks classic movie star handsome, but he was dull as bricks...

#3 mrmoon

mrmoon

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 13 August 2001 - 09:51 PM

John Gavin was signed up for Bond in DAF, then Connery was lured back. Gavin was paid in full.

I think Noel Coward turned down the part of Dr.No, he was definately considered but I'm not sure if he was asked.

Adam West aka 60's Batman, had also apparently spoken to cubby about the role of bond but nothing ever came of it.

Julain Glover was apparently considered for bond when he was younger, whether you'd class this as almost being cast I don't know because he eventually played Kristatos in FYEO.

can't think of anymore offhand if I do I'll post them