Live & Let Die Question

3 replies to this topic

#1 Renix

Renix

Cadet

• Crew
  • 18 posts

Posted 01 May 2003 - 04:01 PM

I'm in the middle of reading Live & Let Die right now but I'm trying to remember where it was that someone said "Live and let die." Was it when Bond was with Mr. Big?

Thanks,
Jonathan

#2 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 01 May 2003 - 04:12 PM

It's Bond - Chapter four - 'The Big Switchboard'

When Bond & Felix are meeting with Captain Dexter.

#3 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 01 May 2003 - 06:33 PM

On the sidewalk, Dexter turned to them.
‘Had some instructions from Washington this morning,’ he said unemotionally. ‘Seems I’m to look after the Harlem end, and you two are to go down to St. Petersburg tomorrow. Leiter’s to find out what he can there and then move right on to Jamaica with you, Mr. Bond. That is,’ he added, ‘if you’d care to have him along. It’s your territory.’
‘Of course,’ said Bond. ‘I was going to ask if he could come anyway.’
‘Fine,’ said Dexter. ‘Then I’ll tell Washington everything’s fixed. Anything else I can do for you? All communications with FBI, Washington, of course. Leiter’s got the names of our men in Florida, knows the Signals routine and so forth.’
‘If Leiter’s interested and if you don’t mind,’ said Bond, ‘I’d like very much to get up to Harlem this evening and have a look round. Might help to have some idea of what it looks like in Mr. Big’s back yard.’
Dexter reflected.
‘Okay,’ he said finally. ‘Probably no harm. But don’t show yourselves too much. And don’t get hurt,’ he added. ‘There’s no one to help you up there. And don’t go stirring up a lot of trouble for us. This case isn’t ripe yet. Until it is, our policy with Mr. Big is “live and let live”.’
Bond looked quizzically at Captain Dexter.
‘In my job,’ he said, ‘when I come up against a man like this one, I have another motto. It’s “live and let die”.’
Dexter shrugged his shoulders. ‘Maybe,’ he said, ‘but you’re under my orders here, Mr. Bond, and I’d be glad if you'd accept them.’
‘Of course,’ said Bond, ‘and thanks for all your help. Hope you have luck with your end of the job.’
Dexter flagged a cab. They shook hands.

Live and Let Die, Chapter 4

#4 Renix

Renix

Cadet

• Crew
  • 18 posts

Posted 01 May 2003 - 07:50 PM

Yes! That's right. Thank you, guys!