41 replies to this topic

#31 00 deceased

00 deceased

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 250 posts

Posted 25 April 2003 - 02:50 PM

The only dodgy person in the cast of Thunderball is the guy playing Felix, how can you be a Bond fan and slate Thunderball so much. Never say Never Again is ****. It couldn't hold a candle to Octopussy in 1983!

#32 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 25 April 2003 - 02:53 PM

Thank you, finally someone talking some sense.

#33 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 25 April 2003 - 04:16 PM

Originally posted by ChandlerBing
Thank you, finally someone talking some sense.

Wow, now there's a convincing argument --- NOT!

#34 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 25 April 2003 - 04:23 PM

Please give me some of your arguments why you feel "Thunderball" is better than "Never Say Never Again". I have shown you the courtesy of stating the reasons why I find "Never Say Never Again" to be better than "Thunderball" and you have merely replied with innuendo and one sentence remarks.
And "00 deceased" there is nowhere where it states that you have to like "Thunderball" and be a Bond fan. I have read all the Fleming and Gardner books (still have to read the latest Benson book) and there are a total of 22 movies (and by mid-May I will own them all on DVD). I have seen all the movies at the movie theater since "Moonraker" in 1979.
Perhaps one should question your credentials as a Bond fan for not liking a Sean Connery Bond movie.
The only area where Thunderball was better than NSNA was in the musical score.

#35 00 deceased

00 deceased

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 250 posts

Posted 25 April 2003 - 05:09 PM

I couldn't care if Never Say Never Again is a Sean Connery movie, it's not an MGM movie. EON have made 20 great films in a 40 year history. Kevin McClory has made one weak copy. What is so good about it?

The Cast
The Soundtrack
The Storyline
The Action
THe Special Effects
The Humour

It is perhaps Sean Connery's best character performance. Why don't you watch "The Thunderball Phenomon" on the DVD special features, there will be a detailed explanation why millions of fans love the film. Thunderball is just as popular today as it was 35 years ago, as for Never Say Never Again, people are still trying to forget it. You should never remake classics, Never Again, Never, Never!

#36 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 25 April 2003 - 05:48 PM

Personally, I think that "Never Say Never Again" is the best Sean Connery performance as 007. I have seen "The Thunderball Phenomenon" and I appreciate the fact that a lot of people like it. That's fine.
I also think that MGM and EON have made their fair share of stinkers over the years. I think the true test of a Bond fan is being able to tell when an EON Bond movie stinks. As for your criteria listed above NSNA was better than Thunderball:

The Cast - Yes, Barbara Carrera did an amazing job as the Femme Fatale, Klaus Maria Brandeur also did an excellent job as the villain.
The Soundtrack - No, Thunderball had the better soundtrack.
The Storyline - They had the same basic storyline.
The Action - The underwater battle at the end of TB was too long, and too confusing. My vote is with NSNA.
THe Special Effects - NSNA had better special effects, but TB had good effects for the time it was made.
The Humour - NSNA wins this category easily. Rowan Atkinson is hilarious, Sean Connery has some of his best lines and Barbara Carrera is wickedly funny...

Anyway, there has been a shooting at the University of Maryland, so I feel a little funny bickering over the merits of two James Bond movies.

#37 MarkA

MarkA

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 25 April 2003 - 10:30 PM

Yes I agree there was some fabulous talent involved in NSNA. What they did with it was jack! It was one of the biggest wastes of talent in the history of cinema. Better than Thunderball PLEASE!

#38 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 25 April 2003 - 11:56 PM

Originally posted by MarkA
Yes I agree there was some fabulous talent involved in NSNA. What they did with it was jack! It was one of the biggest wastes of talent in the history of cinema. Better than Thunderball PLEASE!

What was so good about Thunderball??? The only area where Thunderball beats NSNA is in the soundtrack!!

#39 00 deceased

00 deceased

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 250 posts

Posted 25 April 2003 - 11:59 PM

The Cast was excellent, the film was packed with action, humour, suspence and had all the the Bond ingredients.

#40 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 27 April 2003 - 12:02 AM

Well it's obvious you and I are never going to agree on this matter. So, lets just agree that we love the character James Bond and move on....
Fancy a beer??? :)

#41 00 deceased

00 deceased

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 250 posts

Posted 27 April 2003 - 01:24 AM

I'm up for that but I cannot afford a plane ticket

#42 TheSaint

TheSaint

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3067 posts

Posted 27 April 2003 - 03:26 AM

On it's best day, NSNA is nowhere close to Thunderball.