This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

HMS 'Galatea', if you were wondering what she did...

3 replies to this topic

#1 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 02 April 2003 - 08:34 PM

While researching the Battle of Jutland to prepare a lesson plan for sea cadets, I ran across the name Galatea; the scouting cruiser after whom Gala Brand was named. Here's the basic history of where she fits into World War I:

The battle of Jutland commenced circa 1740 hrs on May 31st, 1916 between the Imperial German and Royal British navies, under the command of Admiral Sir John Jellicoe and Vice-admiral Sir David Beatty on the British side, and Admiral Reinhard Scheer and Vice-admiral Franz von Hipper on the German side.It is of course named after the peninsula which is Denmark.

The battle was in fact, a careful plan, by Scheer, to trap part of the the British fleet before Jellicoe

#2 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 02 April 2003 - 09:36 PM

Is there a Fleming family tie with that Galatea at all? I didn't realise that Fleming took the name of the ship.

#3 Peter

Peter

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 445 posts

Posted 04 April 2003 - 11:30 PM

Galatea is a Greek name from mythology. She was the statue that Pygmalion built and fell in love with, and who later came to life because of his love.

I didn't think there was any connection to a ship. I assumed Fleming named Gala that because:

1. British people often use classical names for their children (often compared to Americans, at least)

2. Gala is a little like the statue. She's beautiful but cold to Bond in the beginning, but later warms up to him, even caring for him. Naturally, she doesn't end up with him in the end.

What do you think?

#4 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 15 April 2003 - 12:44 AM

In the book, Gala explains that she was named by her father, after a ship in which he served. I had no idea it was a naval vessel at the time, but there we are.

Interesting etyology, though.