5 replies to this topic

#1 TheSaint

TheSaint

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3067 posts

Posted 21 March 2003 - 02:44 AM

Dreamworks has the rights to the Helm novels and wants to do a series of films, providing the first one is successful. Who would you cast and would you film them in the present or as period pieces? I'm thinking period pieces if only so as not to have to change the villains' motivations(former Nazis, Russian spies, etc.). As for who to play Helm, I'd give Clooney a shot at it. He was good in The Peacemaker. I also wouldn't mind seeing Lee Horsely give it a go. For those of you who have no idea who he is, he played another Matt on tv in the 80's... private eye Matt Houston.

#2 Matt Helm

Matt Helm

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 41 posts

Posted 21 March 2003 - 03:21 AM

Bravo on your choice of topic and your choices to play Matt Helm. On a Matt Helm dedicated web site, I too offered Clooney as my first choice based on his role in the Peacemaker. He definitely has star power and a beliveable cruel side to pull it off. Teh actor who played Matt Houston is not that bad a choice either although I haven't seen him in a while. I would even consider Michael Madsen based on his performance in Species.

But recently I've discovered a new candidate, al beit a long shot, from Canada. Don't laugh but I think Richard Dean Anderson would make an excellent Matt Helm. Please erase MacGyver from your mind and check him out on Stargate SG1. He plays a tough wisecracking sarcastic individual who is dedicated to his cause much like our second favorite hero (Bond being first of course), Matt Helm.

As far as the setting, I sure hope they would attempt period pieces in the 60's. Competing with big action Bond and XXX is not a likely avenue for success. Helm is all about the cat-and-mouse double crossing thriller and should be kept that way in the movies. Maybe then we can wash away the Dean Martin memories (even though they are enjoyable in a campy sort of way).

#3 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 24 March 2003 - 05:01 PM

I don't beleive that the Matt Helm books would work in remakes . I can't recall how many novel there are . But i prefer the one with Dean Martin . They had a certain charm to them .

#4 TheSaint

TheSaint

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3067 posts

Posted 25 March 2003 - 01:58 AM

There are 27 Matt Helm novels. While I LOVE the Dean Martin Matt Helm films, I would like to see them done straight. It could work. Better that than XXX, Spy Kids, Cody Banks, etc.

#5 Von Hammerstein

Von Hammerstein

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 25 March 2003 - 02:49 AM

Clooney was my first choice (first thought) to play Matt Helm. There are some great stories by Donald Hamilton. Some tough and hard-bitten and some a little wild. Could be the makings of a good franchise.

#6 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 25 March 2003 - 02:42 PM

Originally posted by TheSaint
There are 27 Matt Helm novels. While I LOVE the Dean Martin Matt Helm films, I would like to see them done straight. It could work. Better that than XXX, Spy Kids, Cody Banks, etc.

I agree with you on the last part of your post . Also i am open minded to a Matt Helm series if do similiar to the Jack Ryan series . In a more serious vain than the Dean Martin films .