30 replies to this topic

#1 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 11 March 2003 - 02:07 AM

I heard George Lazenby was given a contract for seven Bond films, does anyone know why he didn't take the offer? Do any of you wish he did more Bond films? I dont.

#2 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 11 March 2003 - 02:55 AM

Hey Righty007 - Welcome to our own little corner of the Bond Universe. It's always cool to have a new young Bond fan in the ranks. I will admit that I've found a few of your post questions seemingly negative, but I soon realized your hungry for knowledge.

Not to sound too much like Grandpa Simpson, but "back in my day" I had the same appetite;)...the net just wasn't available and all my news came second hand or through talk shows (fine men like Mike Douglas, Johnny Carson, Merv Griffin etc.) who had the actors present to promote the world of Bond and news stories or magazines (long before Premiere, Ent. Weekly, Movieline and the like). Starlog always had the facts from the set and some great interviews.

Now to your query - George wasn't offered a 7 picture deal. The standard Bond contract (3 pics with an option for a fourth) didn't come around until Roger took the reigns and Cubby & Harry realized this would be an ongoing series with a changing of the Bond over time.

As is my understanding, George was offered a two picture deal and (due to youth and ego) walked away. Lazenby states this in "The James Bond Story" - a really great AMC produced documentary and admits that he should have stuck around and done a second one. Alas, Sir Sean agreed to return and Eon jumped on it even though he only agreed to do one - Sean got a cool Million to do it and a promise from UA to back two films of his choice - unheard of at the time (it was the equivalent of stars today getting 20-25 Million per film - especially for a continuing franchise) It was only 1971.

GL ultimately always got my personal "Guts" award for jumping into the role and starring in one of the best films of the series.

Watch OHMSS - 20 minutes in, you have to accept him as 007 and he delivers. The CBn boards are filled with "What if" threads but ultimately, he was an interesting addition to the world of Bond.

Hope this feeds your needs;)

..and to add my favorite tag-line to this post for new members,

"CBn...MGM free since.....well...August of '02"

CHEERS!

#3 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts
  • Location:Was on Saturn, now back in Belfast, Northern Ireland

Posted 11 March 2003 - 03:13 AM

Well Lazenby once said this (maybe this is the programme you saw Bryce).

"Now the reason I didn

#4 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 11 March 2003 - 03:26 AM

True Dr. T -

I recall the quote but I'm pretty sure it wasn't on the JBS/AMC doc. I do remember it though.

Poor old George. You know he was one of the last people to meet with Bruce Lee before he passed? I recently heard of this. Talk about someone with bad timing...Then again, who else got to make out with Diana Rigg in her prime?

*Bryce throws on one of his Avengers tapes - insert Homer Simpson drooling sound effect*

#5 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts

Posted 11 March 2003 - 03:44 AM

Richard Graydon who worked as a stuntman on On Her Majesty's Secret Service said this about Lazenby (Changed slightly for grammar and nothing else.)

#6 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts

Posted 11 March 2003 - 04:11 AM

Peter Hunt once said this.

#7 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts

Posted 11 March 2003 - 04:38 AM

Lazenby also once said this.

#8 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts

Posted 11 March 2003 - 06:04 AM

No, I don't have a super memory. I've just very recently re-watched the programme these quotes come from. :)

#9 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts

Posted 11 March 2003 - 09:15 PM

I didn't just post those quotes for my own amusement lads and lassies. I wanna read your views on them. :)

#10 Daltonitus

Daltonitus

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 232 posts

Posted 11 March 2003 - 10:16 PM

Do I wish he did more films?

Yes, but not too many. To have seen him in DAF would have been great.

#11 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 12 March 2003 - 12:13 AM

Originally posted by Daltonitus
Do I wish he did more films?

Yes, but not too many. To have seen him in DAF would have been great.

I agree with you that George should have done one or two more films. But, I wouldn't like to see him in DAF. DAF, I think was made just for Sean Connery.

#12 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts

Posted 12 March 2003 - 12:16 AM

Peter Hunt also once said this.

#13 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts

Posted 12 March 2003 - 05:44 AM

I woulda thought at least one person woulda posted their opinion/s on the quote/s. :)

Come on, what's your views on what any of these guys said?

#14 Daltonitus

Daltonitus

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 232 posts

Posted 12 March 2003 - 06:59 PM

I think what they are trying to say (and it seems Lazenby himself admits this in hindsight), was that he was the right guy at the right time in the right film....but he just needed get more of a 'grip' on what Bond would do for him.

He though he was now a superstar and that Bond was perhaps going out with all the hippy movement, then he got some bad advice from an agent and it all blew up in his face really.

The people you have quoted all saw Lazenby for what he would have been and are most probably as sad as he is that it never happend (not like it did for the other fellow. lol).

#15 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 12 March 2003 - 08:28 PM

Originally posted by Righty007
I agree with you that George should have done one or two more films. But, I wouldn't like to see him in DAF. DAF, I think was made just for Sean Connery.

Yes your right it was made just for him .That's why it's a live -action cartoon.

#16 Killmaster

Killmaster

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 211 posts

Posted 12 March 2003 - 11:45 PM

Unfortunately, you're right, kevrichardson. Everyone back then was so thrilled with the fact that Connery was returning for one more that they failed to craft the type of Bond film he was best at, one that used his strengths, and instead gave him a film that was just this side of a comedy. There were some great bits, but it also had that "held together with duct tape" feel to it. At times SC seemed to be walking through it.

If GL had remained and this was the script he would have had to work with, combined with his inexperience, we may never have seen RM, TD or PB. Only Connery COULD have carried it off and he did... just. If GL had remained DAF would have needed a more serious slant as a follow up to the powerful ending of OHMSS.

#17 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts

Posted 15 March 2003 - 11:46 PM

Do you feel Lazenby looked upon Bond as a bit of fun?

Do you believe the reason Lazenby gives for quitting Bond?

Do you think it "went to his head"?

#18 Daltonitus

Daltonitus

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 232 posts

Posted 15 March 2003 - 11:49 PM

I think he thought he had 'made it' and could sit back a bit.

Not really, but then I don't think he is totaly lying either.

At the time, yes, now...he realises what a dope he was :)

#19 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts

Posted 16 March 2003 - 12:12 AM

I showed the programme I heard those quotes on to a class-mate and he said, "He [Lazenby] seems like a bit of a tosser. I'm glad he admitted he was being arrogant."

Are you male or Female Daltonitus? :)

#20 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 16 March 2003 - 05:44 PM

Originally posted by Dr. Tynan
 heard those quotes on to a class-mate and he said, "He [Lazenby] seems like a bit of a tosser. I'm glad he admitted he was being arrogant."

Arrogant or not Lazenby was a damn fool to just walk away from the greatest film role in history .To star in the Chow Fu Hong Kong films of the 70's .

#21 Daltonitus

Daltonitus

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 232 posts

Posted 16 March 2003 - 11:52 PM

I'm male. Why?!

#22 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts

Posted 17 March 2003 - 02:41 AM

No. Ha Ha. Sorry. Your sig made me think you were female....No offense, and I was gonna ask you if you agreed with that statment Lazenby made about his body being better than Connery's. But not now :)

#23 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 17 March 2003 - 08:06 AM

lazenby turned into a jerk, got the big head and then did not think he needed bond anymore, guess he found out otherwise...bad career move

#24 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 17 March 2003 - 03:07 PM

Waht is a Daltonitus in the first place? But back on track George is still famous for become the first Bond after Connery . PLus starring in the best of the series outside of "FRLW". The fact that he's a idoit notwithstanding .

#25 Dr Noah

Dr Noah

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 382 posts

Posted 17 March 2003 - 06:43 PM

"George is still famous for become the first Bond after Connery "

Only in quizes. He is possibly the most obscure Bond actor, in the same way that OHMSS has had little exposure outside fan circles, ie being the Bond movie which has been shown least on British tv (and when it is shown it isn't given the same "prime" slots as the others)

#26 Daltonitus

Daltonitus

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 232 posts

Posted 17 March 2003 - 08:43 PM

Hmm, my signature (a cool quote from TLD of course) somehow makes me female...I'm sorry but I don't see that connection myself :)

As for the bodys...uh...well Connery was a bit of a fat man, and um...Lazenby isn't, but that's as far as I can go :)

What is a Daltonitus? The best infection to ever sweep the Bond world :)

#27 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts

Posted 17 March 2003 - 09:57 PM

Sorry, no. I didn't use my head. It's not called a sig. :)

I mean your picture. :)

#28 Daltonitus

Daltonitus

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 232 posts

Posted 18 March 2003 - 06:57 PM

Loads of people here have woman avatars.

I guess you expected i'd go with the grey Dalton one if I was a guy though?

Well, I wanted to use my own avatar here, but I couldn't. Don't like the grey Dalton one, so I picked a nice looking girl :)

#29 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 20 March 2003 - 02:31 PM

It is claimed in an interview with UA Chief David Picker in the "Inside On Her Majesty's Secret Service" documentary on the DVD (the best of all the 'Making of.... ' docs running almost an hour) that the decision to let Lazenby go was the studios decision due to the poor box office....
This is at odds with the quotes from Lazenby who seems to be saying it was bad advice he received from people telling him the Bond character was out of date.

#30 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 20 March 2003 - 05:49 PM

Originally posted by DLibrasnow
It is claimed in an interview with UA Chief David Picker in the "Inside On Her Majesty's Secret Service" documentary on the DVD (the best of all the 'Making of.... ' docs running almost an hour) that the decision to let Lazenby go was the studios decision due to the poor box office....
This is at odds with the quotes from Lazenby who seems to be saying it was bad advice he received from people telling him  the Bond character was out of date.

I don't buy Picker's version. Lazenby's version is the most widely reported and that documentary is the first I've heard of Picker's claims.