This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Did Connery have a hairpiece in all of the Bond movies?

17 replies to this topic

#1 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 06 March 2003 - 12:40 AM

Every Bond fan knows that Sean Connery had a hairpiece, but did he wear one in all of his movies as Bond? I have seen all 6 of Connery's Bond movies (not counting his unofficial 1983 movie) and I can't tell if he's wearing a hairpiece or not. Can someone tell me which films he was wearing one in?

#2 rafterman

rafterman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 06 March 2003 - 01:22 AM

I've heard it could be as early as FRWL that he had one, but they were good, so it never gets noticed, people tend to notice later in his work because he did stuff with and without a piece, but during Bond he always worked with the rug...

#3 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 06 March 2003 - 03:48 AM

i understood it to be from DR NO onward, it looks fake in dr no

#4 freemo

freemo

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 2995 posts

Posted 06 March 2003 - 08:54 AM

Really, I thought it was all his real hair in Dr No, since it get's out of place quite a bit, plus in the scene with Miss Moneypenny you can see his hari is a little thin, especially at the back. Anyway, I heard quite a few different answers to the question.

#5 1q2w3e4r

1q2w3e4r

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1336 posts

Posted 06 March 2003 - 09:18 AM

same. I've heard a few different answers. i thought it was Goldfinger onward.

#6 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 06 March 2003 - 01:07 PM

Just from Goldfinger onwards did Connery wear a hairpiece.

#7 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 06 March 2003 - 03:16 PM

Check out The Hill, which was released in 1964 and then compare it with Goldfinger, to see how his hair is different.

#8 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 06 March 2003 - 03:22 PM

Originally posted by ChandlerBing
Check out The Hill, which was released in 1964 and then compare it with Goldfinger, to see how his hair is different.

The hairpiece represented a 1940's style military haircut. totally different film. Just look at Dr.No ,FRWL , then GF all made within a 2 year period . The guy had one for Goldfinger . All the Bond film book state so. continuing this theme look at "Marnie" and Women of Straw. Again all made in the same period 1962-64 .

#9 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 06 March 2003 - 05:24 PM

Yeah, it was Gf onwards.

#10 homerjbond

homerjbond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1917 posts

Posted 07 March 2003 - 09:00 PM

I heard he always had a hairpiece as Bond - he started going bald at age 21 (1950?)

#11 Solex Agitator

Solex Agitator

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 10 March 2003 - 08:10 AM

Is anyone here bald or going bald? How does it make you feel? I am thinning. I have the power.

#12 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 10 March 2003 - 01:44 PM

Originally posted by Solex Agitator
Is anyone here bald or going bald?  How does it make you feel?  I am thinning.  I have the power.

Yes i am bald . Shave my head Michael Jordan style for several years . Chick love it. Bald men have great power. Look at Yul Brenner !

#13 rafterman

rafterman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 10 March 2003 - 03:21 PM

I've been losing it for a couple years now...I say shave it off man, screw the George Costanza look, just let it all go, trust me it's much better just shaving your head....going bald sure makes you feel old...

#14 Von Hammerstein

Von Hammerstein

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 10 March 2003 - 09:14 PM

My hair is thinning, I keep it short to be less noticeable, and every summer I shave my entire head. As for chicks digging it, I found the girls I went to nursing school with loved it and my wife hated it. Must be a generational thing. I like being bald in the summer, I too much of a wimp to do it in winter. This winter's been especially cold (Where's all those Global warming nuts now? Freezing their tucases off, I'd wager) but I know several guys I work with keep it shaved all year long. While I'm on the subject, here's another disparity among the races: A black guy can shave his head at any time, Michael Jordan, Samuel L Jackson, Avery Brooks and look damn cool, a white guy like me shaves his head and I either look like a skinhead racist or Curly from the Three Stooges. It's unfair, I tell you! :)

#15 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 10 March 2003 - 10:39 PM

Originally posted by Von Hammerstein
A black guy can shave his head at any time, Michael Jordan, Samuel L Jackson, Avery Brooks and look damn cool, a white guy like me shaves his head and I either look like a skinhead racist or Curly from the Three Stooges. It's unfair, I tell you! :)

Yeah, I sympathise entirely.

A black guy gets pumped up with better results, they can go bald and look totally cool and they move better.

In this repsect, the white generation really don't compare.

I'm losing my hair. I tell you, I had the adolescent spot thing going on, that stops and the very next day, the hair starts thinning. You couldn't even stick a damned feeler gauge in between my periods of negative effect. Absolutely no window of opportunity.

Still, it is an exceedingly slow process, it turns out to not be one of these, "You have 1 year left to enjoy hair, man. So enjoy it while it lasts - hah hah."

Small mercies.

(But I do know there are others out here with worse problems than I'm facing, it's just that this is my worst problem)

#16 Solex Agitator

Solex Agitator

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 11 March 2003 - 06:52 AM

Word to your honesty. WORD.

#17 doublenoughtspy

doublenoughtspy

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4122 posts

Posted 12 March 2003 - 12:55 AM

Yes, one of Connery's biographies says that he started losing his hair when he was 20.

It went on to say that he wore a hair piece in all his Bond films, and that he actually had two - one for close ups and dialog scenes and another for action scenes.

The best way to tell that its the truth is to see pictures right before he leaves for the Bond locations to begin filming.

For instance - a shot of him & Bianchi boarding a plane to Istanbul to start filming there - it's pretty obvious that he isn't wearing his hair piece.

#18 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 12 March 2003 - 02:41 PM

Yes this is true . PLus for more positive proof . Just compare the SPYGUISE Connery doll from Dr.NO to the one model on him from Goldfinger . It's plain that he had a radical change in hairstyles in last than 1 year.