This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Should EON still use parts of Fleming's novels for future films?

35 replies to this topic

#31 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 04 March 2003 - 10:14 PM

"License to Kill" which this thread is not about was a good back to basics Bond . It was not a very dull Lethal Weapon film . In fact the last part of the film , is considered a classic in so far as the stunt work.

#32 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 04 March 2003 - 11:11 PM

Licence to Kill was not a Lethal Weapon type film, it was a near remake of Raw Deal with that Arnold fellow. The big difference was that Davi was pretty good in Raw Deal. I can’t think of anything Davi ‘outshined’ in Licence to Kill including whatever it was Q was raking.

#33 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 04 March 2003 - 11:14 PM

I thought we had a thread that states that Davi and Dalton had some degree of "screen chemistry" . I thought both were evenly matched .

#34 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 04 March 2003 - 11:16 PM

Very funny. Still laughing now.

Have to say though, I found him to be an asset to LTK - he was, for me, truly menacing.

#35 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 04 March 2003 - 11:33 PM

Originally posted by Mister Asterix
Licence to Kill was not a Lethal Weapon type film, it was a near remake of Raw Deal with that Arnold fellow. The big difference was that Davi was pretty good in Raw Deal. I can’t think of anything Davi ‘outshined’ in Licence to Kill including whatever it was Q was raking.

It was a remake of that Clint Eastwood spegetti western in which he infiltrates, in this case, two oposing sides and play them against each other. Can't remember the title though. It in turn was remade into a Bruce Willis movie called Last Man Standing.

The only thing in which Davi outshined Dalton was that he had the better one-liners by far.

#36 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 05 March 2003 - 05:31 AM

Originally posted by Blofeld's Cat

It was a remake of that Clint Eastwood spegetti western in which he infiltrates, in this case, two oposing sides and play them against each other. Can't remember the title though. It in turn was remade into a Bruce Willis movie called Last Man Standing.

The only thing in which Davi outshined Dalton was that he had the better one-liners by far.

Last Man Standing, Eastwood’s Fist Full Of Dollars, David Carradine’s The Warrior And The Sorceress, a Spanish/French film called Django, and some Swedish viking film named Revenge Of The Barbarians were all remakes of the samari film Yojimbo which was actually ripped off from Dashiell Hammett’s novel Red Harvest that was set in the US in the 1920s with two mobs as Last Man Standing was. The makers of Last Man Standing were quite surpised to have a lawsuit brought against them for ripping off this book that they had never heard of when they were remaking an old Japanese classic that had already been remade so many times.

Back To The Tangential Conversation:
Don’t get me wrong I quite like Licence to Kill; I just think it’s lacking in Davi’s acting, Glen’s directing, and Dalton’s hairstylist’s hairstyling. But if anyone ‘outshines’ in Licence to Kill it is Benicio Del Toro, whose Dario stands head and shoulders over everyone else.

And Nearly Back On Topic:
As far as Fleming elements, I think Licence to Kill actually tries to hard to cram in the Fleming, either that or John Glen just failed at making those scenes (such as Leiter being fed to the sharks) work.