12 replies to this topic

#1 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 25 February 2003 - 06:59 PM

After listening to the newly remastered and expanded OHMSS soundtrack these past few weeks, I couldn't get the idea of what if out of my mind about Sean. A lot of you here think he would have been totally wrong for the movie, but are you sure?
Connery was very world weary of Bond by the late 60s. Echoing the character and his pursuit of Blofeld, Connery had had enough, calling in his resignation to the producers much like Lazenby's Bond to M early in the movie.
Connery would have lent more maturity to the scenes with Tracy. The whole idea of having spent the better part of the 1960s seducing women and engaging in numerous relationships was wearing thin on Connery's Bond. What if he met a woman he felt a connection with? What if this were it? Connery would have brought the baggage of his last 5 films to the role. The romantic scenes with Tracy would have been shocking because the great Connery Bond woiuld have crumbled, losing the machismo, engaging a woman for the first time in the series.
Connery going up against Draco would have been terrific, as well, because Connery had more presence and maturity, giving those scenes more gravitas than they had. Same with his scenes with M. Connery getting pissed off and storming out after M takes him off Operation Bedlam would have been classic. The following scene in his office going through his desk would have made more sense than it did.
There was a big emphasis on Bond smacking the snot out of people in OHMSS. Who better to smack people around--both men and women--than Sean Connery? Yeah, it was nice to see Lazenby doing it for real, knocking Yuri Borienko on his ***, but Connery could have done it with one finger (see Rising Sun, to see what I mean). The guy who started out in Dr. No by knocking Mr. Jones silly would have been terrific mixing it up with Blofeld's goons, who were just as mean as he was.
Connery playing Bond throughout the 1960s would have lent a sense of a finished cycle. He starts out young, cocky, vibrant, unshakable. By the end of OHMSS with the death of his wife, Connery would have been broken, beaten down, world weary. He might have been representing the US during the 1960s, ie loss of a President, Vietnam, etc. .
Of course Connery would most likely never have come back for DAF in 1971, which would have left us without a Bond. Roger was not available yet because of the Persuaders. Would they have gone with Dalton, who would have turned them down because he was too scared of following up Connery? Would we have gotten Burt Reynolds or John Gavin? Would Bond still be here today?
I like to think of this scenario up there with the Star Trek Phase 2 series that was supposed to have aired in the late 1970s on the Paramount Network. Neither one of them obviously ever happened, but it's interesting to speculate, isn't it?

#2 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 25 February 2003 - 09:34 PM

Connery and OHMSS is one of the great movie "what ifs" of all time. My only concern is if he had stayed, would he have been lethargic about it? Around YOLT, he got a little heavier and began ageing a bit.

But it would have gotten back to basics and likely got his interest up more than the previous Bonds he starred in. I don't see Lazenby as a missed opportunity, though.

#3 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 25 February 2003 - 09:39 PM

Read the article on the HMSS website . www.hmss.com . It about "OHMSS" and Connery . It is very interesting reading . it might help with some of your questions.

#4 doublenoughtspy

doublenoughtspy

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4122 posts

Posted 25 February 2003 - 09:49 PM

I have a UK tabloid from early 1969, during OHMSS filming about Sean's weight gain. The headline is "00 flab, Connery is licensed to put on weight."

While I concur with some of your points Chandler, you left out the most obvious one - Sean is a Scot and would have made more sense in a kilt.

HOWEVER,

I think that A: he would have been too fat. B. he would have been too bored C: They would not have cast Rigg D: The budget for locations, props, effects, and other actors would have been reduced because of the burden of Connery vs Lazenby's salary.

To me, Lazenby is actually the best part of the movie.

The fight scenes are why he was hired and they are the best in the series.

The love scenes are great and believable.

The one area where Lazenby is almost universally panned - the long dialog with Draco and as Sir Hillary Bray - aren't bad enough to drag down the good parts.

#5 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 25 February 2003 - 10:00 PM

NO Bridgett Bardot would have been casted . He would not have been too bored . Since it would have been the type of character driven plot he want . UA tried to get him during film with a "DAF" style offer . Once they saw the rush of the film . The love scenes with Bond /Tracy . With Connery and whatever actress cast would have been better . Look at the love scenes in "FRLW" . The fight scene would have been just as credible as with Lazenby . Why Bob Simmons was Connery stunt double. The long dialogue scenes , with Draco , Hilary Bray and Blofeld would have had a harder edge to them. By 1969 Connery was in several films . He was not that fat.

#6 Dr Noah

Dr Noah

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 382 posts

Posted 26 February 2003 - 05:26 PM

Also, I don't think Connery would have needed to be dubbed... :)

#7 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 27 February 2003 - 02:38 PM

Sean Connery again would have lent the whole thing a maturity it otherwise lacked. Bond would have been on equal footing with Draco instead of the older fella and the kid-manner it had. Connery would have been at the top of his game with Ferzetti and Rigg, both terrific actors. He would have been able to act in the movie, instead of the stuff he did in You Only Live Twice, which I watched again recently. He was bored in that movie. There wasn't really anything for him to play with in that movie. I still like the movie, don't get me wrong. It's got one of the most gorgeous John Barry scores ever. Connery either acts bored or really pissed off. Oh, well, knowing what he was going through as they were filming, I guess I can't blame him. I just hope Pierce doesn't get to that place.

#8 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 27 February 2003 - 02:49 PM

Originally posted by ChandlerBing
Sean Connery again would have lent the whole thing a maturity it otherwise lacked.  Bond would have been on equal footing with Draco instead of the older fella and the kid-manner it had.  Connery would have been at the top of his game with Ferzetti and Rigg, both terrific actors.  He would have been able to act in the movie, instead of the stuff he did in You Only Live Twice, which I watched again recently.  He was bored in that movie.  There wasn't really anything for him to play with in that movie.  I still like the movie, don't get me wrong.  It's got one of the most gorgeous John Barry scores ever.  Connery either acts bored or really pissed off.  Oh, well, knowing what he was going through as they were filming, I guess I can't blame him.  I just hope Pierce doesn't get to that place.

I agree with you on the issue of OHMSS and Connery . It might have been a different film. Still i have come to the opinion that Connery was his own worst enemy . He was offered the chance to do OHMSS not once but twice . During filming as the rushes were sent to UA (then the sole film studio for Bond) . The UA people want to replace Lazenby . And offered Connery a hugh salery . He refused . So it's mute to debate how the film would have turned out . Since it(OHMSS) is still a pretty darn good movie.

#9 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 27 February 2003 - 03:09 PM

I had no idea UA wanted to sack Lazenby after they saw the rushes. Are you saying that they wanted to go back and reshoot the whole movie again? I had never seen this story before. Where's your source?

#10 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 27 February 2003 - 03:19 PM

Originally posted by ChandlerBing
I had no idea UA wanted to sack Lazenby after they saw the rushes.  Are you saying that they wanted to go back and reshoot the whole movie again?  I had never seen this story before.  Where's your source?

Yes the Chairman of UA offer to pay Connery a mega-salaery to do "OHMSS" . I will look up the sources on post them here for you. They are several sites devoted to "OHMSS". Specially Blofeld 's Cat . Do you ever look up the HMSS article on the film.

#11 ray t

ray t

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1394 posts

Posted 27 February 2003 - 06:58 PM

if IFS and BUTS were candy and nuts, everyday would be christmas.

ohmss is a top 5 bond.

its a damn fine movie as is.

adding in connery to the mix would have changed the chemical composition of the production in countless ways.

thunderball was connery's zenith. lets leave well enough alone.

#12 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 27 February 2003 - 07:56 PM

Originally posted by ray t
if IFS and BUTS were candy and nuts, everyday would be christmas.
OHMSS is a top 5 Bond.  
its a damn fine movie as is.
adding in Connery to the mix would have changed the chemical composition of the production in countless ways.
Thunderball was Connery's zenith. lets leave well enough alone.

Here ,Here . Finally a welcomed bit of common sense .

#13 Mr. Kidd

Mr. Kidd

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 129 posts

Posted 03 March 2003 - 06:42 AM

It seems to me if Lazenby went on to make several more Bonds,
get comfortable in the role and gain the public's acceptance as
Bond, posterity would not be asking "what if Connery were Bond
in OHMSS?" To me, it is Lazenby's hasty exit from the series that
keeps the question burning. YES it is one of the Best Bond films,