This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Favorite Roger Moore James Bond Film

788 replies to this topic

Poll: Favorite Roger Moore James Bond Film (678 member(s) have cast votes)

Favorite Roger Moore James Bond Film

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 12 February 2003 - 12:44 PM

I voted for AVTAK, even though I think TSWLM is superior I thought AVTAK needed more help.

#32 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 12 February 2003 - 02:06 PM

Originally posted by Sir James
I would have said none of Moore's films are James Bond films but FYEO is pretty good, and I do have a thing for TSWLM.

That is a very untrue statement to make. Moore was the Bond of the 70's and 80's. He help make the franchise a great deal of money . Starred in two(2) of the highest grossing Bonds out side of Thunderball (TSWLM , MR). Whatever the artistic merit of each film , they made a great amount of money. If fact MR , lead to "FYEO".

#33 Daltonitus

Daltonitus

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 232 posts

Posted 12 February 2003 - 11:09 PM

Sir James seems to have real problems accepting that their is a Bond world outside his one angled view that all Bonds should be Brosnan and noone else understands the character like him.

Moores whole approach to Bond wasn't to copy Connery or be a poor substitute, but to shape the role around himself, he is still very much a Bond, but a light hearted one. Just cos he doesn't make a mean face before killing 10000 people with a rifle in some kinda matrix wannabe shootout doesn't make him any less Bond.

Plus he made the most films, to say he isn't Bond is basically admitting you don't really like the franchise and only like Brosnan Bonds - basically you're a fanboy.

#34 Miss Frost

Miss Frost

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 188 posts

Posted 12 February 2003 - 11:21 PM

Originally posted by Loomis

Not too take all this too seriously, but I'd appreciate it if you could find some way of slipping my TMWTGG vote back in again. I have a feeling that that picture will need all the help it can get.:)

Don't worry Loomis, I think TMWTGG was a great Moore movie, but unfortunately I have a soft spot for TSWLM. TMWTGG was definately more amusing though! :)

#35 MovieManOO7

MovieManOO7

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 138 posts

Posted 13 February 2003 - 01:50 PM

THE SPY WHO LOVED ME closely followed by FOR YOUR EYES ONLY and later OCTOPUSSY.

#36 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 13 February 2003 - 04:06 PM

Originally posted by MovieManOO7
THE SPY WHO LOVED ME closely followed by FOR YOUR EYES ONLY and later OCTOPUSSY.

with The Man With The Golden Gun ,and Live And Let Die not to far in the distance. Moonraker and A View To A Kill coming third.

#37 White Tuxedo

White Tuxedo

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 02 March 2003 - 07:55 PM

I voted for FOR YOUR EYES ONLY.

LIVE AND LET DIE is fun, and it works for what it is.

THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN GUN was made too quickly. It looks cheap, and the plot is underdeveloped.

THE SPY WHO LOVED ME is a classic. But I've seen it so many times that it bores the living daylights outta me.

MOONRAKER holds together for what it is, I'll give it that. But I don't really like what it is.

FOR YOUR EYES ONLY is great IMO. It's fun, and I wish Roger Moore made ..ahem.. more films like this. But I do understand it wasn't written for him. He still handles it very well though.

OCTOPUSSY is one that I used to like. I still find it to be decent, but it that's it. I enjoy it's tone though.

A VIEW TO KILL has a great song and great score, plus it's growing on me. It's still bad though. :)

#38 Jaws99

Jaws99

Cadet

• Crew
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 March 2003 - 05:21 PM

Where are all the LALD fans?

#39 James Boldman

James Boldman

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 454 posts

Posted 10 March 2003 - 12:16 PM

I voted for Octopussy it's my most favourite Bond movie.
And Moore is my favourite Bond.

#40 Gunther_Bunt

Gunther_Bunt

Cadet

• Crew
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 March 2003 - 12:42 PM

I voted for OP too!

I love that film! Roger Moore is the best bond by a country mile! None of the others come close to Rog!

AVTAK is growing on me too! Haven't taken it out of my DVD player for 3 days now and must have watched it about 6 times! Zorin is absolutely fantastic and Tibbett is a great sidekick for Bond! The old doctor who created Zorin is fantastic too and love his gibberish babbling before he gets blown up!

#41 soundwave007

soundwave007

Recruit

• Crew
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 March 2003 - 07:08 PM

i voted for a view to a kill but it wouldnt accept my vote this was the first bond film i saw in the movie theater loved the music and feel of the film but i like all the moore era bond films my second favorite would be the spy who loved me also jaws is my all time favorite bond villian

#42 James Boldman

James Boldman

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 454 posts

Posted 12 March 2003 - 06:55 AM

Quote by Gunther_Bunt- "The old doctor who created Zorin is fantastic too and love his gibberish babbling before he gets blown up!"

I think that bit is hysterical too.

#43 mkkbb

mkkbb

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 12 March 2003 - 10:09 AM

This really isn't fair. I think TSWLM was the most accomplished, but Octopussy had the right balance of humour, spying, and action scenes. And they were all very good.

TMWTGG is different, and I like it for that, FYEO is a very, very good straight faced thriller which was a good return to earth for the series. AVTAK I thought had a great story, and many memorable scenes. LALD had a great score and brilliant scenes (crocodiles, train, Samedi's island, Kananga's lair).

But Moonraker has to be one of my favourites, as I always have memories of watching this around my relatives (everytime I went round this used to be on TV) so they'd video for me. It always seemed to be the Bond film I used to watch. I would have voted for this, but Octopussy just has it all, therefore the better Bond film.

But I really do like ALL of Moores Bond films.

#44 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 12 March 2003 - 10:02 PM

Out side of AVTAK (yes i love to watchit if nothing else is on) . All of the Moore Bond's are good to watch . The early ones (LALD and TMWTGG) really suffer from directorial problems . hey would have work better if a Peter Hunt or even a John Glen had done them . In the case of "TSWLM" Lewis Gilbert just re-make "YOLT" . The differance was that Moore was not on Auto-pilot like Connery in 1967 for "YOLT.

#45 Dr Noah

Dr Noah

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 382 posts

Posted 14 March 2003 - 05:21 PM

If I had a second vote, I'd go for TWTGG, Guy Hamilton works soooooo well with Moore :)

#46 YOLT

YOLT

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1533 posts

Posted 17 March 2003 - 08:56 PM

FYEO, can you vote for me too

#47 Von Hammerstein

Von Hammerstein

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 19 March 2003 - 02:46 AM

I voted for Live And Let Die, Roger Moore had just taken over for Connery who had come back for DAF but then said "Never Again", The movies hand't been written for Moore and character was much more in keeping with traditional James Bond, nowhere near as lighthearted and cut-up as TMWTGG or Octpussy. However the best full throttle, over-the-top, Roger Moore James Bond flick is probably TSWLM, it had all the elements, outrageous world destroying plot, vile villian, unstoppable henchman, tricked-out spy car, gorgeous Bond girl and finale on a par with Thunderball or YOLT.

#48 TheSaint

TheSaint

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3067 posts

Posted 19 March 2003 - 03:08 AM

I voted for FYEO-it was the first Bond film I saw in the theaters, and when it aired on HBO afterwards I ran it into the ground.

#49 Mr. Kidd

Mr. Kidd

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 129 posts

Posted 25 March 2003 - 06:34 PM

Originally posted by Jaws99
Where are all the LALD fans?

RIGHT HERE, JAWS! LALD is MY alltime favorite. A serious Roger
Moore, a motley crew of villains, BEST theme song of the series!
Cool stunts, locations, BEST boat chase of all time! Etc, etc...

#50 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 27 March 2003 - 11:49 PM

I don't think Guy Hamilton liked Roger as Bond actually. When he first saw Roger running in action on the set of Live and Let Die, Hamilton saw that Moore couldn't run convincingly. Supposedly he cried.

BTW, I voted for For Your Eyes Only.

#51 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 28 March 2003 - 12:44 AM

Originally posted by ChandlerBing
I don't think Guy Hamilton liked Roger as Bond actually.  When he first saw Roger running in action on the set of Live and Let Die, Hamilton saw that Moore couldn't run convincingly.  Supposedly he cried.  

Never read that . Yet i know that Hamilton did not work hard enough on Moore to get good performances from him . He excuse was that he need to move Moore's Bond far away from Connery's . Yet if you look at Moore non-Bond films from that period 1973-1978 . He gave some pretty interesting performances. Peter Hunt's 1974 film "Gold"and his 1978 "Shout at the Devil" is a perfect example . Peter Hunt has stated that Roger Moore needed to be "leaned on" . In order to get him into character . If feel that with "GoldFinger" Guy Hamilton just got lucky . which some directors do . "Goldfinger" which is not my favorite Bond . Had a near prefect cast outside of "From Russia With Love" . From then on in every thing just fell into place.

#52 Dr Noah

Dr Noah

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 382 posts

Posted 29 March 2003 - 02:12 PM

"Yet i know that Hamilton did not work hard enough on Moore to get good performances from him "

I disagree, I think Moore was at his best in the Hamiltion movies and think that on the whole Hamiltion was a fine actor's director, hence the likes of Christopher Lee singing his praises.

#53 Lazar

Lazar

Cadet

• Crew
  • 19 posts

Posted 05 April 2003 - 11:41 PM

There's something about the atmosphere and mood of TMWTGG that makes it my favorite (it has to be because I keep going back to it time and time again). I also find Roger to be a liitle stronger and tougher than in some of the other films.

#54 rogermoore007

rogermoore007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 06 April 2003 - 05:20 PM

TMWTGG was the best bond film ever

I have watched TMWTGG at least 30 times,probably MOOREthan that (pardon the pun)

#55 goldengun

goldengun

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 209 posts

Posted 08 April 2003 - 01:02 PM

It is very interesting to see the spread of votes for the Moore movies.

TSWLM has taken a good number of votest, but it's good to see many find Moore's films as their number 1 throughout his 12 year run.

ANd looks like FYEO and OP - are continuing to run neck and neck......

#56 SirMiles83

SirMiles83

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 363 posts

Posted 11 April 2003 - 04:30 PM

Octopussy, my vote for the best, has it all. It has a great soundtrack, great Bond girls, great villains, great plot, and great action. IMO, OP resurrected the "motley crue" (as Mr Kidd put it) of villains like LALD was so successful IMO for having. Kananga,Teehee, Baron Samedi, Whisper-- Kamal Kahn, Orlov, Gobinda, the twins, and the guy with the chainsaw yo-yo.

#57 rogermoore007

rogermoore007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 11 April 2003 - 04:40 PM

Where are other TMWTGG fans???

#58 goldengun

goldengun

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 209 posts

Posted 14 April 2003 - 07:42 PM

Originally posted by Sir James
I would have said none of Moore's films are James Bond films but FYEO is pretty good, and I do have a thing for TSWLM.

Oh my....how awful of you to say that!

#59 bonddur

bonddur

Cadet

• Crew
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 April 2003 - 05:50 PM

Originally posted by rogermoore007
Where are other TMWTGG fans???

#60 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander