#1 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts
  • Location:Was on Saturn, now back in Belfast, Northern Ireland

Posted 08 February 2003 - 02:09 AM

I, and many others, wonder why Sean Connery always has a Scottish accent, no matter what role he is playing.

A tutor told a guy in a class I was in that he probably does it on purpose.

Or is it just that he does not have the ability to speak with another accent?

An American Cop with a Scottish accent.

An American Cowboy with a Scottish accent.

An American son of an American Businessman with a Scottish accent.

I've seen him in a movie where he plays an Arab and he has a Scottish accent.

They are just some I can think of.

#2 1q2w3e4r

1q2w3e4r

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1336 posts

Posted 08 February 2003 - 04:36 AM

you forgot a Russian submarine Commander.

Simply because he's Sean Connery.

#3 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts

Posted 08 February 2003 - 04:40 AM

Originally posted by 1q2w3e4r
you forgot a Russian submarine Commander.

Oh yeah and that movie too :)

#4 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts

Posted 08 February 2003 - 05:17 AM

How many are there ?

#5 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts

Posted 08 February 2003 - 05:20 AM

I mean, does Connery have a Scottish accent in EVERY role?

#6 rafterman

rafterman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 08 February 2003 - 06:29 AM

I think he doesn't bother because he has a very distinctive voice that is his trademark, plus doing a bad accent is worse than not doing one, besides it's the movies, it's all fake so maybe he just would rather pull the audience in with the performance than doing weird voices....

#7 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 08 February 2003 - 11:31 AM

When you cast Sean Connery in your movie, he can speak with any damn accent he pleases. :cool:

In any case, what you get is what you want with Sean.

#8 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts

Posted 08 February 2003 - 08:03 PM

Originally posted by rafterman
I think he doesn't bother because he has a very distinctive voice that is his trademark, plus doing a bad accent is worse than not doing one, besides it's the movies, it's all fake so maybe he just would rather pull the audience in with the performance than doing weird voices....

I never wrote that Connery should speak with a weird voice in his films. I just think he should speak with the accent the character he is playing would most likely have.

If I hear a Russian Submarine Commander speak with a Scottish accent, then I have difficulty thinking of them as being a Russian Submarine Commander, I think of them as being a Scottish Submarine Commander. I know you can come from a country and not necessarily speak with the accent of that country, but even still, it's hard to believe.

It would be the same if he had spoken with any other non-Russian accent in that film.

#9 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 08 February 2003 - 08:11 PM

Originally posted by Blofeld's Cat
When you cast Sean Connery in your movie, he can speak with any damn accent he pleases. :cool:
In any case, what you get is what you want with Sean.

The why he is Sean"CryBaby"Connery. My man has read just one too many "glowing" press releases. Starting to go to his head. At least Roger Moore is or appears to be a "very nice and humble man". Roger seem to be please with his station in life . He is happy about the rewards that Bond has brought him. Sean is ,well over the age of 73 . And he still act like he wants to kick ***.

#10 Double-Oh-Zero

Double-Oh-Zero

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3167 posts

Posted 08 February 2003 - 09:01 PM

Originally posted by Dr. Tynan
An American Cop with a Scottish accent.

If you're referring to The Untouchables, he's supposed to be an Irish Cop, but the point still stands. I think he does it just because it's Sean Connery. If he did a Russian accent, people might look at him as if it isn't his style. Like Rafterman said, doing a bad accent is worse than none at all, much like Liam Neeson and Harrison Ford's supposedly Russian accent K19: The Widowmaker. So his gruff accent is kind his trademark, and without it, it just isn't Sean Connery.:)

#11 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts

Posted 08 February 2003 - 11:45 PM

Originally posted by Double-Oh-Zero

If you're referring to The Untouchables, he's supposed to be an Irish Cop, but the point still stands. I think he does it just because it's Sean Connery. If he did a Russian accent, people might look at him as if it isn't his style. Like Rafterman said, doing a bad accent is worse than none at all, much like Liam Neeson and Harrison Ford's supposedly Russian accent K19: The Widowmaker. So his gruff accent is kind his trademark, and without it, it just isn't Sean Connery.:)

I had thought about that regarding The Untouchables. :) I was thinking that he was an Irish-American and anyone like that would speak with an American accent, I didn't know he was Irish (I've only seen some of The Untouchables, and it was a while ago.)

#12 RITZ

RITZ

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 08 February 2003 - 11:55 PM

Interesting to see what accent he comes up with in his upcoming film "LXG"

Connery's trademark is his accent - i love it!

#13 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts

Posted 09 February 2003 - 12:14 AM

I suppose part of the fun of watching Connery in a movie, might be that you can snicker at the way he does not change his accent.

#14 JackChase007

JackChase007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3446 posts

Posted 09 February 2003 - 07:35 AM

Well, before I saw "The Hunt For Red October", I wondered "How can he play a Russian when all he speaks with is that Scottish accent of his?" I watched the movie, and it actually didn't matter that he had a distinctly Russian accent or not. What did matter was how effective his performance was. And I must say that although I'm not the biggest Sean Connery fan, he was damned effective. When I see a movie and see an actor using a horribly fake accent, it ruins their character and performance for me. Sometimes, the accent does make the character (the nationality could be a major part of it), but most of the time, I think it all depends on how that person plays the part - not how he sounds. Also, as long as his accent is consistant, then that's something else to their credit.

#15 rafterman

rafterman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 09 February 2003 - 09:00 AM

to me it doesn't really matter that he doesn't use different accents, I think he doesn't do them because he can't....

#16 Icephoenix

Icephoenix

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3144 posts

Posted 09 February 2003 - 09:14 AM

Yikes, thats a hard blow Rafterman. I think it's hard for him to escape his accent, it's so deep within him he cant change or cover it up.

#17 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 09 February 2003 - 06:35 PM

Originally posted by rafterman
to me it doesn't really matter that he doesn't use different accents, I think he doesn't do them because he can't.

Just how much of his "scottish accent" is in his first 3 Bonds (Dr.NO , FRWL , GF) . Didn't Fleming adjust Bond's biography to make his father a scotsman? Also how much of Brosnan irish accent mars his Bond . Roger was the only "trrue Englishman" to play Bond.

#18 Thunderball8

Thunderball8

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 72 posts

Posted 10 February 2003 - 04:35 AM

I have no problem with Sean always speaking with his Scottish accent on all his films.

My only problem is that it creates some confusion in my brain because somewhere in the back of my mind, I imagine that it is 007 disguised as a submarine commander, or 007 disguised as a policeman, or, even more strange 007 going to Alcatraz to stop rockets with ZX poison gas....

Heck, from watching First Knight I know he could have done OHMSS as well if he needed to.

But I guess that's it. Sean Connery is the quintessential James Bond 007 of film. And he always did that one with the same accent.

#19 ChrisMarvel2002

ChrisMarvel2002

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 24 posts

Posted 17 February 2003 - 03:55 AM

Sean Conney can speak In any accent he wants to. At 73 he can still
be tough.I am eagily awaiting LOEG. And look forward to seeing him play
Indiania Jones's Father again.

#20 1q2w3e4r

1q2w3e4r

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1336 posts

Posted 17 February 2003 - 12:08 PM

I look forward to Indy 4 also, should be a blast.

I don't put that much weight that Fleming changed Bond's bio to that of a Scottish background because of Connery.

Fleming was of Scottish herritage and quite proud of it, he also states in one of his early novels when we hear Bond's thoughts that there's something definantly "un-English" about himself.

Anyway, Connery is Connery. He's got the physical presence to be able to speak any way he pleases. Seems to work pretty well.

#21 Tehuti 004

Tehuti 004

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted 17 February 2003 - 04:42 PM

He has a Scottish accent because he is Scottish. :)

But then, it is his trademark, if you want an American cowboy, then why dont you hire an American actor? Because they wanted Connery obviously, and they would know that he has his distinctive accent.

I still stand by the fact that he is Scottish.

#22 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 25 February 2003 - 07:48 PM

You try and tell Connery to change his accent. Even at his age, he could still rip people half his age to shreds. Connery is Connery and is a force of nature to himself. Only Connery could have gotten away with making out with Catherine Zeta Jones in Entrapment. Look what the reaction was when she married Michael "Another Face lift please" Douglas.

#23 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 25 February 2003 - 08:51 PM

Originally posted by ChandlerBing
You try and tell Connery to change his accent. Even at his age, he could still rip people half his age to shreds. Connery is Connery and is a force of nature to himself. Only Connery could have gotten away with making out with Catherine Zeta Jones in Entrapment. Look what the reaction was when she married Michael "Another Face lift please" Douglas.

Taht what makes him Sean Connery . The remainder of your post is the funniest thing i read all day . Remember Michael Douglas' nude scene in "Basic Instinct" .