Photo

Why don't they???

7 replies to this topic

#1 0007

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 79 posts

Posted 04 February 2003 - 11:37 PM

Why don't they make any 007 games representing any Bond film besides those ones by Pierce Brosnan or those films that don't exist (like Agent Under Fire and Nightfire)? :) In other words, I'd like to see some films by Connery, Moore and Dalton to be turned into some Bond games.

#2 Thunderball8

Thunderball8

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 72 posts

Posted 05 February 2003 - 05:16 AM

Exactly! I was just talking about that with some friends yesterday. It would be fantastic for example if we had a video game for "Dr. No" complete with likenesses of Wiseman and Connery.

Heck, they can even include cutscenes made from actual scenes from the film. And they can even add in the trailer for "Dr.No", character profiles, etc.

Yeah...that would be great....in fact, we can go down the entire timeline and developers like EA will not have to worry about whether what they're doing is really fit for 007.

But won't that be competing in a way against MGM's DVD collection?

#3 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 05 February 2003 - 05:17 AM

well the reason i think is because when games really hit and were big brosnan was the bond at the time, and although u could make a game of older bond films it does not likely seem plausible because the people who play games for the most part dont know connery, dalton, moore, and it seems that u have to go with the current 007 at the time you make the game

#4 Thunderball8

Thunderball8

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 72 posts

Posted 05 February 2003 - 10:42 PM

There is such a thing as the power of the original. I've seen my younger brother, who's not even a trekkie, get fixated at watching "STAR TREK: The Motion Picture" starring William Shattner and Leonard Nemoy. It can work for 007 too.

I mean, if EA made a game about Dr. No and told everybody that Sean was the original 007, the live cutscenes would make people think: "Yeah, he does look cool." One showing at E3, and the game (if done well) will be a hit...after which the rest of the series could follow.

But if they did all this imagine the rights expenses they'd have to pay for the score, the scenes, Connery's likeness, Wiseman's likeness, etc.

Imagine having to buy rights to produce the Aston now, and then, later on, having to get rights to produce the Lotus Elise, then BMW's.....

Still, I wish it would happen. I'd buy it...Wouldn't you?

#5 0007

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 79 posts

Posted 06 February 2003 - 12:40 AM

I would. If a Bond video game came out not involving Brosnan as Bond, I'd definitely buy it. It'll be cool. You play as Connery, Moore, Dalton, etc. :)

#6 Thunderball8

Thunderball8

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 72 posts

Posted 06 February 2003 - 04:54 AM

Yeah...but the cost and strategy would be the issue....

Interestingly, 0007, would you have wanted the type of classic-007 game that would really include all those features I mentioned? Or would you have readily settled for Nightfire-engine-with-Dr.No-story? (Kind of like what RARE did with Goldeneye.)

#7 0007

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 79 posts

Posted 06 February 2003 - 11:37 PM

Yeah, I'd probably would. As long as the game matches the sory accurately, and that is has cool features (like blood, cool realistic sounds, etc., and people have "sensors," meaning that they sense that if there is an object nearby when they are killed, they die leaning on that object or something to make it seem real).

#8 Thunderball8

Thunderball8

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 72 posts

Posted 09 February 2003 - 11:00 PM

Well I watched "Dr. No" and "From Russia With Love" again to help refresh my memory.

Yes...they could build a great game based on those stories...and No, I don't think they're too old fashioned.....If the game is good it won't matter.

If you a build a good game, they will play it.

However, thinking as a programmer and software designer, it would be extremely limiting to just base it on the story. There has to be a branching of some sort.....and an increase in action and interactive elements for a game like "Dr. No" to succeed.

Like there has to be more enemies to shoot at when the Diesel Dragon appears, or an alternate escape route other than the tunnel from the prison cell. Or that there is more than one way to cause trouble at Dr. No's control room. And that maybe you can choose to get in without a disguise and simply raise hell Brosnan-style.

Oh an remember the part where Bond tried to walk the other way when the nurse summoned them for dinner with Dr. No? What if players were allowed to subdue the nurse, sneak a different way and try to take down Dr. No at dinnertime?

And I'm also thinking that while some of the sleuthing is essential to move the game forward, the player shouldn't have to go through all of it...That should please the action buffs out there.

Unless, of course, we're actually talking about the King's Quest formula...
one track solutions...If you've seen the movie, you've solved the game.
That's something I would not really approve of.