This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Steven Spielberg tried to make a Bond movie, but...

11 replies to this topic

#1 thuffner

thuffner

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 329 posts

Posted 03 February 2003 - 07:23 PM

"Spielberg said he tried to make a Bond movie about 30 years ago, but producer Cubby Broccoli told him he was not ready. "

http://story.news.ya..._spielberg_dc_6

Interesting isn't it? I bet a Bond movie directed by Spielberg would be unbelievable!

#2 DanMan

DanMan

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2009 posts

Posted 03 February 2003 - 08:28 PM

I would definetly love to see that one day.

#3 goldengun

goldengun

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 209 posts

Posted 03 February 2003 - 08:49 PM

I wonder if the Bond films will return to the day where they had the same director working on 3 or films in a row. Days like Lewis Gilbert and most recently John Glen's tour de force with 5 straight Bond films in the 1980's.

I don't see Spielberg doing a Bond movie - the media would turn it into the "Spielberg movie" and divert attention away from BOnd.

What do you think>?

#4 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 03 February 2003 - 10:51 PM

I read in 1984 (to coincide with the release of Indy Jones and the Temple of Doom) that Spielberg said that he had wanted to direct a 007 movie but had been turned down. Then, he turned around and made "Raiders of the Lost Ark" instead.

#5 thuffner

thuffner

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 329 posts

Posted 04 February 2003 - 12:55 AM

Good call. I think Spielburg would make an interesting Bond movie. But it would definitely detract from the whole Bond aura.

#6 Johnson Galore

Johnson Galore

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 232 posts

Posted 04 February 2003 - 12:58 AM

Originally posted by DLibrasnow
I read in 1984 (to coincide with the release of Indy Jones and the Temple of Doom) that Spielberg said that he had wanted to direct a 007 movie but had been turned down. Then, he turned around and made "Raiders of the Lost Ark" instead.

Both he and George Lucas have said that Raiders and the Indy series were their attempts at Bond movies.

#7 Rich Douglas

Rich Douglas

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1105 posts

Posted 04 February 2003 - 05:07 AM

well.. I'd they certainly came up with some damn good competition. I think spielberg and his group (Kahn editing, Kennedy producing, and of course williams scoring) would definately do a good job with a Bond film. You could also bet that the score done by John Williams would be a REALLY traditional bond score with little or no electronics. Personally, I think that would be really cool to hear!

Rich

#8 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 04 February 2003 - 05:13 AM

Well, Spielberg and Lucas were trying to turn Dr. Jones (Indiana Jones that is...could he be Christmas' dad? Never mind.) into Mr. Bond, they certainly had the right stunt man for the job! :)

I don't know about Stevie doing a Bond movie though....I just can't see James hanging out with ET. :)

I guess I would have to see Minority Report before I can really decide if Spielberg would be good.

-- Xenobia

#9 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 04 February 2003 - 06:29 PM

Spielberg also is on record as saying he would want to do a Bond film like the first 3 before he thought they went into the technology and gadgetry overload.

#10 Dr Noah

Dr Noah

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 382 posts

Posted 17 February 2003 - 05:39 PM

"Interesting isn't it? I bet a Bond movie directed by Spielberg would be unbelievable!"

Unbelievably awful perhaps? :)

I read somewhere that this was in the early '70's before Mr Spielberg made Jaws (when he was a tv movie director).

#11 1q2w3e4r

1q2w3e4r

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1336 posts

Posted 18 February 2003 - 05:44 AM

I think people miss the commercial viablilty of a Spielberg Bond film.

You could return to the more traditional charcter driven films the 007 series used to produce that now belong to the likes of The Bourne Identity and make even MORE money while doing it.

#12 sausagebrigade

sausagebrigade

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 56 posts

Posted 18 February 2003 - 01:22 PM

I've been thinking, and a Spielberg Bond movie, released in the 70s, might've been OK. At that point, Steve was making movies like Jaws. However, if they gave him the job in the present day (which will never happen), I imagine the movie would suck, because his last three movies have been awful.