7 replies to this topic

#1 Major-Boothroyd

Major-Boothroyd

Cadet

• Crew
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 February 2003 - 07:05 PM

Hi All

I`m new to the forums so please be gentle. :)

I notice that us fans still seem to argue/discuss whether Roger was too old when he finally hung up his PPK.

I just have this question. When would Bond himself retire?

I ask this as many people seem to think that as soon as the actor who portrays him starts to get a few wrinkles and/or grey hairs they say it starts getting unbeliveable and unreal. (a bond film that is unreal never)

My own opinion is that Bond would continue working On Her Majestys Secret Service until he was either killed or ordered to retire.

I watched AVTAK just before writing this and yes Roger was a bit jaded round the edges but hey he could hold his own on top of the golden gate bridge to still make it belivable and wouldn`t Bond himself be like this after almost 27 years working for MI6.

Just in case anyone wonders Roger Moore is my Favourite Bond. I was a child of the 80`s so this is who i grew up with us 007.

Personally i think the closest any actor has come to portraying 007 was Timothy Dalton in Licence To Kill.

#2 Double-0 Six

Double-0 Six

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 411 posts

Posted 02 February 2003 - 10:42 PM

In Moonraker (the novel), Fleming mentions that Bond would be forced into retirement when he reached a certain age (45 I think), and that Bond carries out about 3 missions a year. I haven't read the later Fleming novels, so I don't know if that "rule" changed.

As for the films, it's fairly easy to imagine them all taking place during Bond's career as a Double-0 agent. If you ignore political factors that date some of the earlier films, it's easy to think of Connery's Bond and Brosnan's Bond as the same man and that rather than being 30-40 years apart, the missions depicted are maybe 5-10 years apart.

That's how I prefer to look at it anyway. Welcome to the forums! :)

#3 RITZ

RITZ

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 02 February 2003 - 10:47 PM

Originally posted by Major-Boothroyd

Personally i think the closest any actor has come to portraying 007 was Timothy Dalton in Licence To Kill.

I like you already!
Welcome to the wonderful and entertaining world of CBN:)

#4 1q2w3e4r

1q2w3e4r

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1336 posts

Posted 02 February 2003 - 11:05 PM

Fleming puts Bond's age at peak between 37-39. It's Moonraker where he states he has eight more years before he's forced into retirement at the "statutory age of 45" and that he had at least 8, 16 or 24 assignments to many unless he was killed first, and if so he aimed to leave as little money as possible in his bank account.

So yeah Bond's supposed to be in his middle to late 30s. For good.

#5 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 02 February 2003 - 11:32 PM

Originally posted by Double-0 Six
In Moonraker (the novel), Fleming mentions that Bond would be forced into retirement when he reached a certain age (45 I think),....

True 006. Bond also mentions that the mandatory age is 8 years off. Hence, Bond is 37 when Moonraker takes place.

A friend of mine who is fan of the "Bat" and I had a discussion about our mutual heroes and I asked him about Bruce Wayne's age vs. the age of the series. I stated the above that Bond is always 37-38 and he shared a similar belief stating that Master Bruce is basically always 29-30 (excluding the Dark Knight series).

Some characters are ageless and some are one age forever...as they should be;)

Considering I blew out 35 candles last time, I guess this puts me in the running.

Somebody get word to Michael G. & Barbara. I'm game, available and I'll pay for my own screen test.

*cue faint sound of coyote howl and crickets chirping*

maybe not;)

#6 Thunderball8

Thunderball8

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 72 posts

Posted 02 February 2003 - 11:44 PM

I think Bond has become like a cultural icon.
He's ageless, always in his thirties, always dealing with the world's most important issues.

#7 mattbowyer

mattbowyer

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 03 February 2003 - 04:36 AM

I find it frustrating to put an age on him. I mean can you describe bond as a twenty or thirtysomething? It's too hard. I put his age at exactly 40. Don't ask why, it just feels right.

#8 Jriv71

Jriv71

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 05 February 2003 - 06:01 PM

Originally posted by Major-Boothroyd

...Roger was too old when he finally hung up his PPK.

I have no comment, I just love this quote.