Moonraker

15 replies to this topic

#1 max kalba

max kalba

Cadet

• Crew
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 February 2003 - 12:40 AM

In the light of the tragic event of today, firstly I'd like to express condolences from this Brit to all the families and friends of those killed today.

Of course the space shuttle has a special meaning for us Bond-fans, and it struck me that it first flew in Moonraker a full couple of years before it had its first real flight.

And, a fantastic film I think - I know all the I-love-sean-and-hate-all-the-films-since-goldfinger gang hate it more than virtually any other - but its their loss.

cheers

mk

#2 ray t

ray t

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1394 posts

Posted 02 February 2003 - 02:55 AM

similiar feelings

condolences to the families....

yes, moonraker was/is an epic...and it felt like it on the big screen when i saw it on the big screen as an adolescent......

#3 Johnson Galore

Johnson Galore

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 232 posts

Posted 02 February 2003 - 07:37 PM

Great comedy-adventure that just happens to feature James Bond, as well! Good Roger Moore performance and great John Barry score during his romantic period.

#4 Jriv71

Jriv71

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 05 February 2003 - 06:05 PM

Love it, Max Kalba. Some of it's kinda goofy towards the end, but MR was the one of FIRST things I thought of when I heard the news. The hate-all-the-films-since-Goldfinger gang is definitely missing out. You're right, their loss.

#5 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 05 February 2003 - 07:57 PM

I loved it when it first came out (I was 7 at the time)....I hate it now.

#6 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 05 February 2003 - 08:04 PM

Originally posted by Johnson Galore
Great comedy-adventure that just happens to feature James Bond, as well!  Good Roger Moore performance and great John Barry score during his romantic period.

It was a very good movie in 1979. Outside of Jaws, the Star Wars mess . I remember Moonraker very well. The pre-title sequence is stilll one of the best.

#7 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 06 February 2003 - 07:02 PM

Ignore the **** with Jaws, the **** in outer space, and it's a decent, somewhat ****-stained Bond movie.

#8 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 06 February 2003 - 08:50 PM

Originally posted by ChandlerBing
Ignore the **** with Jaws, the **** in outer space, and it's a decent, somewhat ****-stained Bond movie.

It really wasn't that bad of a movie. It made a great deal of money and lead to FYEO.

#9 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 06 February 2003 - 10:06 PM

I think Moonraker started off as a good Bond movie, but once it arrived in Rio it just got silly and descended into slapstick and necame one of my least favorite Bond movie (along with TMWTGG).

#10 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 06 February 2003 - 10:17 PM

Originally posted by DLibrasnow
I think Moonraker started off as a good Bond movie, but once it arrived in Rio it just got silly and descended into slapstick and necame one of my least favorite Bond movie (along with TMWTGG).

the funny thing about Moonraker and the Moore years was . The movie going public loved the films. Especially every thing from TSWLM to AVTAK. This may not account for much in the taste of hard core Bond fan. Still during the 70s-80s , Moore's Bond films made more money than any Connery film . With the exception of Thunderball. I like most Bond fans, found the slapstick elements in Mooore's movies hard to take . Yet i am glad that Roger Moore continued as Bond for no other reason than the films where "guilty pleasures".

#11 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 04 March 2003 - 03:00 PM

Sean had Thunderball for his 4th, Roger had Moonraker for his 4th, and now Pierce got Die Another Day for his. All big, everything but the kitchen sink epics. Looking back on Moonraker again, it's passable up until he gets pulled out of the water by Jaws, and then it really sucks.

Going along with my first comments, Sean goes on to make YOLT, Roger gets FYEO, and what will Pierce get? Interesting to ponder given the cycles the other two had.

#12 SirMiles83

SirMiles83

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 363 posts

Posted 04 March 2003 - 03:36 PM

Moonraker is a guilty pleasure. When I rank the films, I usually place MR near the bottom, but I can enjoy that film, sometimes, a lot more than any of the others. The film overall, is a funny, action, adventure epic, it will always be. But when you look at it, the film has everything:
The most action, the most girls, and the lushest locales. The film by itself wouldn't win Best Picture, and isn't comparable to (quality-wise) FRWL, and FYEO, but their are few Bond films that can match the fun factor.

#13 White Tuxedo

White Tuxedo

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 05 March 2003 - 10:08 AM

This is my official opinion: It works for what it is, I just don't care for what it is.

On a four star system, I'd give it a **1/2 until Jaws pulls him out the water. Then it's like *1/2. Esspecially when Jaws and his little Swiss Miss girlfriend wave out the window like fricken idiots. God, that's stupid.

#14 homerjbond

homerjbond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1917 posts

Posted 06 March 2003 - 09:57 PM

My first Bond seen in the theaters! Horrified at the centrifuge scene, laughing at the Jaws parachuting scene, thrilled at the boat chase through the Amazon.

One of Barry's best score..."Miss Goodhead Meets Bond" is a great romantic melody

#15 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 07 March 2003 - 12:31 AM

I just saw Moonraker for the first time on VHS last week. I think it's one of the best Bond movies ever. The opening sequence was great. I loved the nerve impluse dart gun Q gave 007. That was one of the greatest Q gadgets of all time.

#16 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 07 March 2003 - 02:13 PM

Originally posted by Righty007
I just saw Moonraker for the first time on VHS last week. I think it's one of the best Bond movies ever. The opening  sequence was great. I loved the nerve impluse dart gun Q gave 007. That was one of the greatest Q gadgets of all time.

The freefall fight sequence is one of the great Bond stunts for me. Equal to the opening to "TSWLM". Had there been no slapstick humor and a more serious approach taken it would be a great Bond.