13 replies to this topic

#1 goldengun

goldengun

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 209 posts

Posted 26 January 2003 - 06:53 PM

I am not sure if this has been discussed before, but during the duel scene between Bond and Scaramanga near the the end of the film, poor BOnd drops his gun down the set as he's trying to loacte Scaramanga.

SO then which gun is Bond using to kill Scaramanga? I didnt think that he simply went to the wax Bond figure and took the gun from there? Unless Scaramanga liked having a loaded gun in the hands of the wax figure...?

I dont know - what do you think happened at the end?

#2 Tedley King

Tedley King

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 26 January 2003 - 08:44 PM

He may have climbed down and retrieved it, after all, he would have had to complete his way down to get into position as the wax work before shooting Scaramanga. Therefore I suggest it is probably his own, after picking it up again.

#3 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 26 January 2003 - 08:53 PM

I've never been too sure about what happened here. I assume it's the gun from the mannequin and for some reason the gun is loaded (because wasn't the dropped gun out of ammo anyway?).

But how cool would it have been if Bond retrieved the mannequin

#4 Tedley King

Tedley King

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 26 January 2003 - 09:25 PM

That's one of the things about the franchise that puts me off on occasions ... this minor things where the audience don't quite know how it happened. Other than that gun there are a few others (might make a good post one day) such as how, in TWINE, did Dr Jones and Bond manage to take the lid (?) off of the bomb in the tunnel when the screw heads had been stripped? I know in TND about how they cut the rope as that scene was deleted (using a knife in the tool box). Oh well, this isn't even what is being mentioned for this post, so I'll leave it there.

#5 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 26 January 2003 - 10:33 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by zencat
I've never been too sure about what happened here. I assume it's the gun from the mannequin and for some reason the gun is loaded (because wasn't the dropped gun out of ammo anyway?).

But how cool would it have been if Bond retrieved the mannequin

#6 Roebuck

Roebuck

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1870 posts

Posted 26 January 2003 - 11:29 PM

Originally posted by Tedley King
how, in TWINE, did Dr Jones and Bond manage to take the lid (?) off of the bomb in the tunnel when the screw heads had been stripped?

Bond used the laser in his watch to open the bomb casing, but it never made the final cut. Why, I've never understood. Maybe EON ask Omega to pay for their product placement by the minute.

#7 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 27 January 2003 - 02:11 PM

Same as in DAD. Bon has a watch-with a laser-which cuts metal-but to cut through a fence to get to the airstrip he uses....a pair of seccaturs?

This was actually Brosnan's own little joke but I think it completely ruins the sequence.

#8 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 27 January 2003 - 04:26 PM

Originally posted by Tanger
Same as in DAD. Bon has a watch-with a laser-which cuts metal-but to cut through a fence to get to the airstrip he uses....a pair of seccaturs?

This was actually Brosnan's own little joke but I think it completely ruins the sequence.

Yes, that struck me as more odd than funny. Had Jinx made a quip it would have been funny.

#9 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 27 January 2003 - 09:19 PM

Originally posted by zencat

Yes, that struck me as more odd than funny. Had Jinx made a quip it would have been funny.

I was bothered by that scene too. If they knew they may have to do that, why would they wait so long to do so. I know he's Bond, but it takes a while to clip through that kind of fencing.

And would anybody believe for a second that an airfield like that would actually allow two people to run down the strip to jump a plane? Maybe it was a private one, but they seemed to have enough people with them at the beginning, why not then?

#10 Spectre001

Spectre001

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 229 posts

Posted 28 January 2003 - 01:17 AM

My guess is that they were on their way back to the hanger so had their backs turned. Who knows.

As for the gun I thought he had picked up the one he dropped...biut only after being made to think about it after I read this post.

#11 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 28 January 2003 - 02:30 AM

In my mind the gun came from the wax Bond. Scaramanga is just the type of guy to make sure that the gun on the wax figure was loaded.

#12 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 28 January 2003 - 02:40 AM

Bond's PPK wasn't out of ammo, I think there were 3 or 4 cartriges left when he dropped it.

I assume Scaramanga wouldn't get kicks out of shooting an unarmed dummy. He likes fairness, as we can see.

PS. Wouldn't it've been ironic if TMWTGG was made in 1985, and we had the overly-made-up Moore posing as a wax dummy? :)

#13 goldengun

goldengun

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 209 posts

Posted 10 February 2003 - 08:42 PM

Does anyone know what happened to the wax Roger Moore figure from this movie?

P.S. The last comment about comparing Roger Moore from 1985 to the wax figure is not nice at all...!!!

#14 Daltonitus

Daltonitus

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 232 posts

Posted 10 February 2003 - 11:37 PM

Probably it was from the dummy, that's the way I always understood it.

It does make limited sense that the dummy's gun be loaded so that Scaramanga's opponents could have a backup gun should they live long enough to grab it. Or something like that.

Maybe bond had 1 bullet left in his pocket that he was able to chamber into the dummy's PPK....maybe (for once) he had a spare magazine fully loaded in his pocket. Maybe EON thought noone would care. Maybe noone does :)