33 replies to this topic

#1 MovieManOO7

MovieManOO7

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 138 posts

Posted 22 January 2003 - 09:59 AM

Even though he was maimed in LICENCE TO KILL, do you all think Felix should return in some form or another? His "replacements" in Jack Wade and Damian Falco just appear inadequate next to this classic Bond character (who appeared in seven Bond films - eight if you include NSNA). After all, in the novels Leiter returned after being maimed in the LIVE AND LET DIE.

Thoughts?

#2 RITZ

RITZ

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 22 January 2003 - 10:06 AM

I thought Jack Wade was excellent in GE and TND. Shame about Falco though. I think a return of Felix Leiter would be a good idea - perhaps in a wheelchair or with a false leg. Trouble is - which actor would play him?

#3 brendan007

brendan007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1512 posts

Posted 22 January 2003 - 11:30 AM

although in the books felix lieter was extremely memorable, he never really mattered much in the films. besides dn and ltk, felix never really stood out in the films, so i see no need to bring him back.

#4 M_Balje

M_Balje

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1564 posts

Posted 22 January 2003 - 11:31 AM

Originally posted by RITZ
I thought Jack Wade was excellent in GE and TND. Shame about Falco though. I think a return of Felix Leiter would be a good idea - perhaps in a wheelchair or with a false leg. Trouble is - which actor would play him?

David Hedison,but he is now 75.

#5 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 22 January 2003 - 04:16 PM

How about Felix Leiter and the never used Rene Mathis. Bill Tanner has never been fully explored either all he does , in the few film he has been in is just look official and agree with "M" . Jack Wade and Falco are the "ugly Americans" as far as i am concerned . There was a genuine friendship between Felix Leiter and James Bond . That what LTK was attempting to get across. All the Fleming books with Leiter revolved around the respect that Bond has for Leiter . What the films lack is that strong male friendship Bond had with others men( the warm ,dry handshake) . The film makers have used the "super women or bitch" concept to the point of death. Give him a few good men to work with.

#6 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 22 January 2003 - 05:51 PM

THE PROBLEM WITH THIS IS THERE HAVE BEEN SO MANY FELIX LEITERS THAT IN THE MOVIES IT HARD TO CARE ABOUT HIM BECAUSE OF ALL THE RECASTS

#7 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 22 January 2003 - 05:54 PM

Well said, Kevin Richardson. Give Bond some type of partner, or even another male agent to bring out his competitive side, somebody he needs to compete against as well as the villain. Without making it a female. That concept is really old.

The Wade character is an attempt at a cheap laugh and why would anybody want Falco back? I like Michael Madsen a lot in Tarantino movies and such, but he didn't add a thing to DAD. At least back in the Moore days, a recurring character like Gen. Gogol was okay to see repeated in films as he had qualities that made him welcome back. I don't feel the same way about Falco.

Felix may not have made as much of an impression in the films as he did in the novels, but he seems to be better liked in the fan community.

#8 Double oh Ten

Double oh Ten

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 90 posts

Posted 22 January 2003 - 06:00 PM

CHRISTOPHER REEVE IS FELIX LEITER IN BOND 21

#9 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 22 January 2003 - 06:04 PM

it would have been nice if they could have stuck with jack lord through a good many of the bond movies as it turned out it was always a new face and no continity

#10 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 22 January 2003 - 06:19 PM

What is all this rubbish about Felix being in a wheelchair? In all of Fleming's post-LALD books, Leiter only had a prosthetic arm and a limp or something. He even helped Bond kill off Scaramanga's Group in TMWTGG. Quite different than most seem to want to portray him in the later films.

We should give him a cool gadget in his arm, too.

For a plot, how about his defeat of Sanchez has the CIA after him because Sanchez' drugs funded the Contras, and blah blah blah, but the point is that the CIA are after Leiter, and Bond helps Leiter on his mission. Falco could be a bad guy, sort of a traitor.

#11 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 22 January 2003 - 08:28 PM

Jack Lord was asked to do Goldfinger . He want too much money , plus a percent of the profits . Also the producer's felt that he "might " overshadow Connery. So he did not do it.

#12 11 11

11 11

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 154 posts

Posted 22 January 2003 - 09:29 PM

Jack Lord wasn't too bright was he? Yea Hawaii Five-O was a lot better choice than GF.

#13 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 22 January 2003 - 09:44 PM

Originally posted by 11 11
Jack Lord wasn't too bright was he? Yea Hawaii Five-O was a lot better choice than GF.

I would guess so , remember this "Book em Dano". Stupid people generally .laugh all the way to the bank.

#14 Felix_Leiter

Felix_Leiter

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 482 posts

Posted 22 January 2003 - 10:22 PM

I have determined it is time to brink back "The Leiter!", Felix Leiter. This new fellow, Damian Falco, can't take his place! Do you guys miss him as much as I do? His relationship with Bond is the strongest in the franchise. I am thinking of starting a petition, anybody interested?

#15 Felix_Leiter

Felix_Leiter

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 482 posts

Posted 22 January 2003 - 10:25 PM

Damn! I just created a similar post in BOND 21 then stumbled on yours. Oh well. Oh and yes, please, please, please bring back Leiter.

#16 RoboDan

RoboDan

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 28 posts

Posted 22 January 2003 - 10:30 PM

I was actually thinking about that for the past few weeks. Where in the hell is this guy? I guess they got him "pushing pencils" behind a desk somewhere??? :)
--Dan

#17 mrmoon

mrmoon

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 22 January 2003 - 10:35 PM

Isn't it because he's supposedly a relic of the cold war, or something along those lines, whereas Bond has broken into the 'new' world.

#18 MovieManOO7

MovieManOO7

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 138 posts

Posted 22 January 2003 - 10:36 PM

Originally posted by Felix_Leiter
Damn! I just created a similar post in BOND 21 then stumbled on yours. Oh well. Oh and yes, please, please, please bring back Leiter.

Hey, no problem at all! The more people that request it and throw the topic out in the arena, the more of a chance that EON might take a hint!

As long as you're feeling up to it, Mr. Leiter. We bid your return!

#19 Truman-Lodge

Truman-Lodge

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 190 posts

Posted 22 January 2003 - 11:23 PM

Yeah...in the movies Leiter never had any discernable personality, which was a shame. Might as well start a new Felix Leiter character, only give him a new name.

Personally, I liked Rik van Nutter the best. He could kill you with his hardcore stare.

#20 Imperator

Imperator

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 55 posts

Posted 16 February 2003 - 04:17 AM

Yes. It's time for Felix!

#21 Scottlee

Scottlee

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2592 posts

Posted 23 February 2003 - 03:13 PM

I'd love to see Felix Leiter back in the Bond movies.

#22 Dr Noah

Dr Noah

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 382 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 05:34 PM

Wasn't one of the reasons why the created "Jack Wade" was that they felt that Leiter had become a bit devauled by the fact he kept coming back played by a different actor?

#23 M_Balje

M_Balje

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1564 posts

Posted 26 February 2003 - 11:28 AM

What do you think about Everett McGill as Leiter.
He play Ed Killifer in Licence to kill,but it is now 13 years later and i think he can play Leiter.

http://www.jamesbond...s/killifer.html

#24 Dr Noah

Dr Noah

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 382 posts

Posted 26 February 2003 - 05:07 PM

Should a woman play Lieter? After all if he could change his skin colour the character could change sex... :)

#25 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 26 February 2003 - 05:15 PM

Originally posted by Dr Noah
Should a woman play Leiter?  After all if he could change his skin colour the character could change sex... :)

Ther tried this for "NSNA' . Made Felix Leiter black . And Gardner introduced his daughter Ceder Leiter in "For Special Services" . A lot of this has too do with how the CIA was in disfavor over the last few years . The was a article during DAD's run . Which posed the question about why not use Felix Leiter . It was in the New York Times. Noverber 17. 2002 Cultural Studies : Holmes had Watson . Why Bond can't keep Leiter.

#26 Scottlee

Scottlee

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2592 posts

Posted 27 February 2003 - 07:10 PM

Originally posted by M_Balje
What do you think about Everett McGill as Leiter.

I can't imagine Everett McGill doing anything other than the shady bad guy role..

Under Siege 2
Licence to Kill
People Under the Stairs

#27 SirMiles83

SirMiles83

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 363 posts

Posted 01 March 2003 - 01:35 AM

I can't understand why Leiter never returned in films after LTK. He returned in many novels after LALD. I hope they can put him in Bond 21 somehow. Although I don't have a clue who would play him.

#28 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 01 March 2003 - 02:11 PM

Originally posted by SirMiles83
I can't understand why Leiter never returned in films after LTK. He returned in many novels after LALD. I hope they can put him in Bond 21 somehow. Although I don't have a clue who would play him.

EON does not need or want a character like Felix Leiter . He is the one person who appears in several novels( "CR" , "LALD" , "GF" ,"TB ,"TMWTGG") .Felix Leiter was Fleming most colorful friend for Bond . In the film there is no need for Bond to have a friend or seek assistance . Plus the characrter is underwritten anbd poorly casted .

#29 SirMiles83

SirMiles83

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 363 posts

Posted 01 March 2003 - 05:18 PM

It think it would be great for Bond to have a colorful friend in the new film, be it Felix or Robinson. It would be nice to see Bond working with a man for a change, just like he was with Kerim, Felix, Columbo, Draco, and JW Pepper(joking). They have had problems casting in the past for Felix, but the character in some fashion returning would be nice.

#30 Dr Noah

Dr Noah

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 382 posts

Posted 01 March 2003 - 06:14 PM

Bring back Jack Wade!!!