Goldfingers Evil Twin Brother

23 replies to this topic

#1 jamie wilkins

jamie wilkins

Cadet

• Crew
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 January 2003 - 01:54 PM

Everyone knows that in the early scripts of DAF bond was to have faced Goldfingers twin brother. Played by Gert Frobe,who was a shipping magnate with an oil tanker with a giant laser in it. Does anyone have any more information about this?or know where i can get some? and what do you think about the evil twin idea? Do you think it would have been better than the Blofeld story in the finished film?

#2 Double-0 Six

Double-0 Six

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 411 posts

Posted 19 January 2003 - 09:48 PM

I only know what you've described, which I originally heard on the DAF DVD. I personally don't think this would have been any good, for a start the concept is too silly (not that DAF isn't a silly film anyway).

Perhaps a business partner, or maybe even a son, but the evil twin brother thing is a bit too much for me to believe. It would have come across as a shallow attempt to emulate Goldfinger, and would probably have backfired.

#3 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 19 January 2003 - 11:11 PM

I think there are probably scripts, but as will nearly all the screenplays, the public will not see them for a hell of a long time.

'Mother always said Auric was a bit retarded.' wasn't that a proposed line?

#4 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 20 January 2003 - 07:17 PM

I think that move would have smacked of desparation that early in the series. While the Blofeld of DAF wasn't exactly evil, at least he was a continuing character rather than trying to relive the glory of the best loved villain of the series.

I agree it would be fun to be able to read the early script treatments of these. Hey EON, this would be a great marketing opportunity for us to see this rare stuff.

#5 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 06 February 2003 - 11:20 PM

Originally posted by Double-0 Six
I only know what you've described, which I originally heard on the DAF DVD. I personally don't think this would have been any good, for a start the concept is too silly (not that DAF isn't a silly film anyway).
Perhaps a business partner, or maybe even a son, but the evil twin brother thing is a bit too much for me to believe. It would have come across as a shallow attempt to emulate Goldfinger, and would probably have backfired.

this was the continuation of the Bond movie no longer following Fleming. It all statred with YOLT. It the film barely worked with the Blofeld theme.

#6 freemo

freemo

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 2995 posts

Posted 06 February 2003 - 11:33 PM

I think that move would have smacked of desparation that early in the series. While the Blofeld of DAF wasn't exactly evil, at least he was a continuing character rather than trying to relive the glory of the best loved villain of the series.

I argee, it kind of sounds like a last roll of the dice, and they really were never that desperate, were they ?. Although if they weren't certain that they'd have Connery back one can kind of understand their thinking.

I like the finished film, though I somethings think they should have made Charles Gray out to be a new villian rather than Blofeld returning, not that it really matters that much.

#7 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 06 February 2003 - 11:37 PM

Originally posted by freemo

I argee, it kind of sounds like a last roll of the dice, and they really were never that desperate, were they ?. Although if they weren't certain that they'd have Connery back one can kind of understand their thinking.
I like the finished film, though I somethings think they should have made Charles Gray out to be a new villian rather than Blofeld returning, not that it really matters that much.

To me Charles Gray , may not be "Evil". Still he had some of the best lines in the film. His delivery was great. I still get a kick out of the exchanges between him and Bond.

#8 1q2w3e4r

1q2w3e4r

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1336 posts

Posted 07 February 2003 - 12:28 AM

He's a weak Blofeld. Telly is easily the most physically imposing. I think he should have just been a different character.

But the only good thing about Diamond's in my opinion is Jill St John anyway.

#9 freemo

freemo

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 2995 posts

Posted 07 February 2003 - 12:45 AM

To me Charles Gray , may not be "Evil". Still he had some of the best lines in the film. His delivery was great. I still get a kick out of the exchanges between him and Bond.

Yeah, I got nothing against him, was just thinking that his character could have been an entirely new character with a different name rather than being "Blofeld".

#10 Double-Oh-Zero

Double-Oh-Zero

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3167 posts

Posted 07 February 2003 - 01:36 AM

I believe this idea was used in the roleplaying game Goldfinger II, where Bond has a run-in with 'Finger's twin. As for it being used in DAF, it might have benn funny if he made a sort of cameo, but where he is quickly dismantled by Bond (much like an Indiana Jones vs. Cairo Swordsman kind of deal). He wouldn't have worked as the main villain, though.

#11 doublenoughtspy

doublenoughtspy

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4122 posts

Posted 07 February 2003 - 01:55 AM

jamie,

The information about this draft is talked about in an issue of Starlog from 1983 (it has the Roger Moore/Sean Connery cover). Richard Maibaum discusses it during an interview.

The quotes about it are repeated verbatim in Marcus Hearn's Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (both 1st & 2nd editions).

#12 rafterman

rafterman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 07 February 2003 - 04:25 AM

the twin idea is bad and was justifiably not used, I think Gray should have been a new character, not Blofeld, since other than the name and his history with Bond there's nothing that connects him to the Blofeld of SPECTRE, he's practically a new guy...

#13 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 07 February 2003 - 02:25 PM

Originally posted by 1q2w3e4r
He's a weak Blofeld.  Telly is easily the most physically imposing.  I think he should have just been a different character.
But the only good thing about Diamond's in my opinion is Jill St John anyway.

Your right , Telly was the ideal Blofeld. And Jill St John is very hot. she was similar to the "Tiffany Case" character in the book.

#14 1q2w3e4r

1q2w3e4r

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1336 posts

Posted 08 February 2003 - 04:55 AM

I know. I think that's why I like Jill St John so much in Diamond's cause Tiffany in my opinion is Fleming's best female interest for Bond in the novels. She's the most exciting and engaging character.

#15 JBond007

JBond007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 860 posts

Posted 14 February 2003 - 12:28 AM

Originally posted by freemo

Yeah, I got nothing against him, was just thinking that his character could have been an entirely new character with a different name rather than being "Blofeld".

I agree.

I think the same could be said about the Telly Savalas Blofeld.

Donald Pleasance and the FYEO Blofeld are THE Blofeld.

#16 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 14 February 2003 - 12:48 AM

Originally posted by JBond007

I think the same could be said about the Telly Savalas Blofeld.
Donald Pleasance and the FYEO Blofeld are THE Blofeld.

What is wrong with Telly Savalas's Blofeld ? Donald Pleasance was not the original Blofeld for "YOLT" . A actor named Jan Welch was to play Blofeld. Pleasance replaced him during filming. The person in the "wheelchair" ,holding the cat is not Blofeld. Blofeld died during DAF.

#17 Glen Barrington

Glen Barrington

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 17 February 2003 - 05:13 AM

From Kevrichardson:

"Blofeld died during DAF."

Did ya check the vitals? Did ya see the body? (Just kidding, stolen from UnderSiege 2 and seemed appropo).....

Now, that intriguing little fact has been debated to death. Actually, it was never made crystal clear at the end of DAF (the film, anyway, don't know about the book) what the heck really happened to Blofeld. Last we all saw, he was still banging back and forth in his getaway minisub. The sub was never released from the crane as of the moment Bond jumped off the rig. You just knew Blofield didn't die at the climax to YOLT-and it was just as ambiguous here in DAD.

After what that character did to Bond and Tracey, that was an awfully weak and frustrating manner to leave his fate in middair (literally).

I've seen DAD a zillion times and I KNOW I didn't miss anything! LOL!

#18 rafterman

rafterman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 17 February 2003 - 12:19 PM

yeah, what exactly did happen to Blofeld at the end of DAF? Bond swings him around in his little capsule, but that's it......plus how can he be an evil twin? then they'd both be evil...

#19 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 19 February 2003 - 01:45 PM

Originally posted by rafterman
yeah, what exactly did happen to Blofeld at the end of DAF?  Bond swings him around in his little capsule, but that's it......plus how can he be an evil twin?  then they'd both be evil...

Blofeld death in DAF was firmly not established . That why Maibaum was about to bring himback in "TSWLM".

#20 rafterman

rafterman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 19 February 2003 - 04:18 PM

the end still bugs me, Bond has him right there....but then what happens? it's so unsatisfying...no death, no escape, just cut to the cruise ship WTF?

#21 sausagebrigade

sausagebrigade

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 56 posts

Posted 19 February 2003 - 04:43 PM

While it's unsatisfying, it would just be annoying if they brought Blofeld back in LALD...while I enjoy Charles Grey's performance, by that point there was no menace about the character.

#22 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 20 February 2003 - 02:45 PM

Originally posted by sausagebrigade
While it's unsatisfying, it would just be annoying if they brought Blofeld back in LALD...while I enjoy Charles Grey's performance, by that point there was no menace about the character.

Blofeld had no place in "LALD". That novel had enough plot and character development to transfer to film. The film was jsut a smaller scale Bond moovie as compared to "DAF" which was large scale Bond on the level of "YOLT". PLus the villians major and minor in "LALD" were black. It was rightly so that EON remained "fairly faithful " to the spirit of the book.

#23 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 04 March 2003 - 04:54 PM

Back in junior high, I used to write a bunch of Bond short stories, treatments, whatever. I actually did my own version of Goldfinger's twin brother in Las Vegasm calling it Gold Isn't Forever. I don't have it anymore, but this post got me to remembering. I did it just for fun, including my version of the ending where Bond corners him on Lake Mead, calling out to the boat captains to do their duty for Las Vegas, and the bit where Auric's brother tells Bond that Auric always was a bit retarded. I wince thinking about the awfulness of it all, but it was fun back then.

#24 Von Hammerstein

Von Hammerstein

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 10 March 2003 - 09:24 PM

While Diamonds Are Forever is one my favorite Bond pictures and I thought Charles Gray was perfect as a smugly superior Blofeld,when I heard about Maibaum's original treatment, I thought it would have been a much better flick that what we recieved. I also wish that TSWLM had used SPECTRE and Blofeld. It would have made a little more sense since it's bascially YOLT with submarines instead of space capsules. Besides I always wanted to see Roger Moore square off against Bond's numero uno baddie. Pity