Moore too wimpy?

10 replies to this topic

#1 Simon Templar

Simon Templar

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 23 posts

Posted 19 January 2003 - 11:50 AM

I read here and there and since a while people say Roger Moore was too wimpy, not strong enough, too slight, not muscled enough for playing the role. Perhaps in comparaison of Connery or Lazenby? What's your opinion?

#2 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 19 January 2003 - 11:27 PM

Compared to Lazenby, they are all whimps--which is ironic because Lazenby's Bond is the only one to show tears.

That said, Moore's Bond was not as whimpy as some would make him out to be. Moore seemed a bit of a whimp, though; he didn't want to do the kicking-Loque's-car-off-the-cliff bit at first.

#3 11 11

11 11

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 154 posts

Posted 20 January 2003 - 05:41 AM

If Moore is wimpy then what the heck is Brosnan? A little school girl?

Please lets not be ridiculous here Roger Moore was said to be 6 feet and 180 pound man that is not a wimp by any standards.

And yes compared to Lazenby they are all wimps so that is not a very good argument.

#4 goldengun

goldengun

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 209 posts

Posted 20 January 2003 - 05:20 PM

Wasn't it long-time Bond stuntman Martin Grace who stated that he never saw a actor throw a punch as well as Roger Moore did?

All the ppl who despise Roger really crack me up! Their excuse for hating Roger are ridiculous. IF he did exactly what Sean did then ppl would state he's doing a bad Sean imitation. He did his own thing.

The James Bond role was starting to get less appreciation by the time YOLT was released. Bond was seen as some sort of live-action cartoon hero.

Roger Moore infused the character with suave, coolness and humour. Each movie would begin with a new chapter in the life of Bond - thoroughly entertaining.

I have heard some crass remarks for Roger - he's a "red-hair mannequin", "girly-spy", "plastic" and "unreal".

Which always leads me back to what I have always thought - Sean Connery fans are just jealous that Roger Moore took the Bond role and did a very good job at doing it. The only regret I have for Roger's tenure as Bond is that he did not star in Bond movies from the beginning with Dr. No.

20 years of Roger Moore would be a great blessing.

No Roger Moore is not wimpy - he's a real man who carried the greatest movie series ever - he placed into the hands of Timothy Dalton one very healthy franchise.

#5 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 20 January 2003 - 05:37 PM

Moore's Bond was not powered by his brawn, he was powered by his Britishness and class. That's one of the things that made him such a great Bond. I think people who complain that Moore is too "wimpy" are missing that very simple point.

I think Pierce is very much powered in the same way as Moore (high style over machismo), but he wants to be powered like Connery. I think this is why, at times, Pierce's Bond seems to struggle.

#6 11 11

11 11

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 154 posts

Posted 20 January 2003 - 05:53 PM

Yes exactly, Moore is not a wimp, and if we are going to say he is, then we have to be fair and say Brosnan is a complete wimp then, because he is much smaller than Roger Moore and has nowhere near the muscle.

But I think that is stupid because I would not call either of them wimps.

People are just being stupid with those remarks. None of the Bonds were wimps at all, and Connery was a very large and powerful man, while Lazenby was almost unreal he was so big and muscular.

#7 Rod Slater

Rod Slater

Cadet

• Crew
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 February 2003 - 04:58 PM

I agree with Simon Templar even if I like Moore as Bond. "Wimpy" isn't perhaps the right term but we have all to admit Moore isn't athletic at all !!! see him running is laughtable (he haves so thin legs) and he doesn't have muscles.
But OK, that's not the most important, he's after Connery the most moved Bond actor with awesome on-liners and humour.

#8 Felix's lighter

Felix's lighter

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 247 posts

Posted 01 February 2003 - 05:25 PM

It so happens that - physically - Moore comes closer to the Bond Fleming described than the too-burly Connery and Lazenby.

Face it: for an entire generation Moore IS James Bond. Many of us grew to appreciate Connery later, but before video Moore was virtually our only interpretation of Bond for many years.

#9 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 01 February 2003 - 07:37 PM

Originally posted by zencat
Moore's Bond was not powered by his brawn, he was powered by his Britishness and class. That's one of the things that made him such a great Bond. I think people who complain that Moore is too "wimpy" are missing that very simple point.

You got there first - totally agree.

I think Pierce is very much powered in the same way as Moore (high style over machismo), but he wants to be powered like Connery. I think this is why, at times, Pierce's Bond seems to struggle.

Interesting point - hadn't thought of that.

#10 Lady Sinclair

Lady Sinclair

Cadet

• Crew
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 February 2003 - 10:35 PM

Roger isn't muscular and it is his particularity. Where's the problem? He IS Bond.

#11 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 10 February 2003 - 06:10 AM

Roger is the best mix!! by far.. there is no one better..