5 replies to this topic

#1 ray t

ray t

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1394 posts

Posted 09 January 2003 - 03:48 PM

i bot a 42inch widescreen high definition tv on tuesday and got my THUNDERBALL dvd out.

what an EPIC Thunderball was/is....the pre-titles, the song, the barry score, the romantic mood of the bahamas, the sense of genuine world wide alarm generated from spectre's outrageously diabolical caper, connery's performance, the underwater stuff....just magnificent.

yes, there are continuity errors in thunderball...yes the epic underwater battle off miami is a bit too long...but it is THE greatest bond of all with all the gadgets, women, villians, sleuthing, exotic locales and plot.

my only wish is to see THUNDERBALL on the big screen...that would be mind blowing.

my top 5:

Thunderball
The Spy Who Loved Me
OHMSS
Die Another Day
Goldfinger

#2 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 09 January 2003 - 08:11 PM

I've seen it in a cinema and the whistle that blows on the soundtrack during Bond's pursuit in the street festival made my ears bleed. Otherwise it was very nice though.

#3 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 09 January 2003 - 09:53 PM

What does your top 5 represent there ray t? Top 5 films or top 5 on HDTV?

Heck, I'd love to see the Bond's on HDTV. But I've been lucky enough to see a few of Sean's on the big screen, and it is amazing.

#4 White Tuxedo

White Tuxedo

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 10 January 2003 - 05:09 PM

Have you seen Catch Me If You Can? If you have you'll know what I'm talking about. :)

#5 Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 293 posts

Posted 12 January 2003 - 12:23 AM

Sadly, you're DVD of Thunderball is not really high-definition at all. At best it'll be 480p, but that's still not HD.

Now when ABC was airing the Bond films last year, they were shown in HD. I never saw any of them though, as I don't have HD, nor do I know anyone that does.

And yes, Thunderball is awesome in the theater. I've seen it twice theatrically so far. The second time I saw it, it was part of an all day "Sean Connery as Bond" film festival, and Thunderball started around 7 at night. It was the only film that day to sell out. It was a new print and a fantastic experience.

Neil

#6 ray t

ray t

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1394 posts

Posted 20 January 2003 - 12:02 AM

Originally posted by Blue Eyes
What does your top 5 represent there ray t? Top 5 films or top 5 on HDTV?

Heck, I'd love to see the Bond's on HDTV. But I've been lucky enough to see a few of Sean's on the big screen, and it is amazing.

those are my top 5 bonds. DAD isnt out yet on DVD/HDTV, my dear blue eyes:D

anyway, u are luckier than I. at least youve seen THUNDERBALL on the giant screen.

one thing i'd change about the movie. ID SHORTEN THE FINAL UNDERWATER BATTLE BY A MINUTE OR SO. JUST TO MAKE IT THAT MUCH "TIGHTER"