27 replies to this topic

#1 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 08 January 2003 - 08:01 PM

Now that the movie has basically made back the money it cost. The fact that MGM and Eon will start production in the future on Bond 21. The question i ask is this will the film get any Oscar nods. Goldfinger and Thunderball won for special effect and sound in the 60's. Will DAD get any for either special effect or sound or for music.

#2 JackChase007

JackChase007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3446 posts

Posted 08 January 2003 - 08:26 PM

Yeah! For the music!!! Sound was also pretty impressive.

#3 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 08 January 2003 - 09:36 PM

I'd personally give it a not for the Sound Editing. Madonna also may be a potential given her Golden Globe nomination.

#4 Double-Oh-Zero

Double-Oh-Zero

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3167 posts

Posted 08 January 2003 - 09:44 PM

With all the big explosions and gunshots put in there to make the kiddies enjoy the film (and throw the parents off), I'd be surprised if it didn't get nominated for sound. Although the computer animation geniuses at MGM are sure to lose for special effects, mind you.

#5 Jimbo007

Jimbo007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 285 posts

Posted 08 January 2003 - 09:56 PM

Yes! For David Arnold's music! Also for the sound definetly.

#6 Dunph

Dunph

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3826 posts

Posted 08 January 2003 - 10:14 PM

Arnold's score warrants an oscar, and I'd count this oscar as one towards all his accomplishments in updating Bond.

Drum n' Bond's the best way of explainig DAD's music, and I loved it

#7 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 08 January 2003 - 10:18 PM

Originally posted by Double-Oh-Zero
Although the computer animation geniuses at MGM are sure to lose for special effects, mind you.

TB did, so you never know.

#8 Adam

Adam

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 335 posts

Posted 08 January 2003 - 11:05 PM

I don't intend to be pessimistic here, but Die Another Day doesn't have a prayer to be nominated for any Oscars. The only slight chance it has is Best Original Song, and that's debatable. There are several reasons--first, Hollywood has a very cynical approach to modern Bond movies; secondly, for categories such as score and visual effects there are films with far superior admissions (also Arnold's score isn't that notable to begin with; plus, Best Picture/Director/etc. nominated movies will get score nominations). Also it's competing against Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, and Harry Potter (just a few examples) for technical achievements, and you can bet on the fact that they will receive visual, sound & sound effects noms before Bond will. Additionally, I'm sure MGM will be pushing for other films (Nicholas Nickleby, Evelyn, even BarberShop) it released in 2002 to be nominated.

It sucks, but what can you do? But hey, I could be wrong and maybe it'll sweep the show.

Doubtfully

#9 JackChase007

JackChase007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3446 posts

Posted 08 January 2003 - 11:12 PM

In all honesty, Arnold really deserved a nod for his TND score. And then, being ignored for Shaft, The Musketeer, and TWINE, he deserves it after all this time, for cumulations of being ignored.

#10 boeserzwilling

boeserzwilling

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 233 posts

Posted 08 January 2003 - 11:22 PM

I don't see Bond at the Oscars.

What about an MTV movie award?

Best Car Chase (or hovercraft chase)
Best Fight (sword fight)

#11 JackChase007

JackChase007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3446 posts

Posted 08 January 2003 - 11:26 PM

Well, that's definately more realistic...

#12 solitaire

solitaire

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 09 January 2003 - 12:56 AM

The only Oscar nomination that DAD will recieve this year is for "Best original song for a motion picture",by Madonna. She may not win,but she'll be in the running,and has a great shot at the prize. That is pretty much wriiten in the wind,and a guarantee. I work for a film studio,and have many contacts at other studios (including MGM) and I know for a fact that they submitted the song into competition. If Madonna wins the Oscar,that will be the only prize DAD will recieve this year.:)

#13 JackChase007

JackChase007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3446 posts

Posted 09 January 2003 - 01:12 AM

Unfortunately, that's a very accurate statement...

Where was the Oscar for "Surrender" back in 1997??? They lost that one, "but only on account of villainy!"

#14 Alexborn007

Alexborn007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 187 posts

Posted 09 January 2003 - 06:01 AM

Originally posted by solitaire
The only Oscar nomination that DAD will recieve this year is for "Best original song for a motion picture",by Madonna. She may not win,but she'll be in the running,and has a great shot at the prize. That is pretty much wriiten in the wind,and a guarantee. I work for a film studio,and have many contacts at other studios (including MGM) and I know for a fact that they submitted the song into competition. If Madonna wins the Oscar,that will be the only prize DAD will recieve this year.:)

I agree. And, I'm sure they'll have a huge live performance of the song too.

#15 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 09 January 2003 - 09:40 AM

After forty years and twenty pictures, Die Another Day holds the record for the most digital effects in any Bond film. However, Wednesday's announcements for the F/F and Sound Editing by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences failed to include Die Another Day in the list of selections.

Some of Die Another Day's special effects were met with a cold response by some Bond fans, most unhappy with either the special effects quality or the simple break from tradition. However, most fans gave nothing but praise for the sound quality of the film.

Those films to win selections were Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Men in Black II, Minority Report, Spider-Man, Star Wars: Episode II -- Attack of the Clones, The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers and the Bond-copy xXx.

Other category nominations for the 75th Academy Awards will be announced February 11 with the awards ceremony to be held March 23.

#16 DerrickD

DerrickD

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 70 posts

Posted 09 January 2003 - 09:47 AM

Hey all,

I agree, DAD will only be nominated for Best Original Song...but more than that, it will win! The Oscars, rather snobbishly, try their best to ignore movies that are great but are mass-appeal/sensational/action-type movies. It's really unfortunate. But this IS the 20th Bond film, and they're celebrating a milestone 40th anniversary of the series...and since many people who have been a part of the Bond legacy or even just a part of MGM are members of the Academy, they will want to recognize the Bond franchise somehow after all the years of ignoring them. DAD doesn't stand a chance in special effects, score, sound editing, or basically ANYTHING up against Lord Of The Rings alone, not to mention any others like maybe Star Wars or Harry Potter (although I would disagree there, LOTR is the only one that really is superior technically). So what better way to recognize the Bond franchise with a sort of "consolation prize" for Best Original Song. The award would not even necessarily be based on the song's merits (although I believe it's merits DO warrant an Oscar)...rather, the award would be presented in honor of the full legacy of Bond music. No Bond song has previously stood out as THE song of the year in film before (at least in the Academy's opinion), but they cannot continue to ignore the consistently strong and solid line of great songs the franchise has put out. The Academy is not about to "stoop" to letting a Bond film win Best Picture even if it might be overdue...but they're also not about to let it go empty-handed any longer.

Plus there's no real competition...no "My Heart Will Go On" (read: no sappy Oscar-voter-wet-dream song). One could argue that the older, male Academy voters would rather award an aging MALE "legend" like Paul Simon or something...but I think the # of voters with either professional or promotional ties to MGM and the Bond franchise will outnumber these more conservative voters.

#17 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 09 January 2003 - 01:03 PM

Originally posted by DerrickD
One could argue that the older, male Academy voters would rather award an aging MALE "legend" like Paul Simon or something...

That's what we had last year with Bob Dylan. I doubt they will do it again this year. So chances raise for Madonna to win that flowerpot (if she gets nominated). I don't see any other chance for DAD to win an Oscar. But to be honest, if the want to honour the Bond movies and especially Bond music, the should give John Barry his lifetime achievement award that is overdue.

If Madonna wins, I doubt that she'll do what His Bobness did with his Oscar: he took it around the world for the fans to see it, placed it on his amp on every concert since then :)

#18 daman3755

daman3755

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 293 posts

Posted 09 January 2003 - 02:33 PM

"XXX" is up for a bloody Oscar in the sound department?! I don't see what's so damn spectacular about the sound in that film. The music and effects were lousy. DAD had better music by far (the complete score I mean) and the sound effects were great. Grr...at least "Minority Report" and "The Two Towers," my films of the year, received nods.

#19 Donovan

Donovan

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 09 January 2003 - 03:16 PM

Of all the modern Bond films, including "Die Another Day", on a technical level, "GoldenEye" has the best sound effects and mix by far. It is crisp. The only thing I personally did not like was the effect for the rockets launching off the Tiger.

The only hope the new Bond film had for sfx editing was the sword fight.

As for the music, David Arnold will never, ever be nominated for best "original" score as long as he hacks John Barry. Trying to put a fresh spin by incorporating obnoxious electronic percussion won't fool members of the scoring academy (including John Williams, Jerry Goldsmith, Howard Shore, James Horner AND John Barry) into rewarding him with a trophy for being creative.

If, say, no other film in the years was released with music, he might have a shot.

#20 SeanValen00V

SeanValen00V

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1518 posts

Posted 09 January 2003 - 03:49 PM

Bond fans should be glad with no reward for special fx, make Bond producers think about that and fans reaction to the not so good quality they produced, and improvements for Bond 21, however on sound front, also, because Arnold rehashed previous Bond stuff in his mix, it won't win over more original music produced by other films, although I did enjoy DAD's sound, was good for 40th anniversary, good for Bond, but not good or worthy enough for oscars.

#21 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 09 January 2003 - 05:01 PM

I'd like to see Arnold's score win. He's really brought Bond music into the new century while maintaining the style and classic sound that we all love.

I think FX might get a nomination. Let's try to think of any CGI we DIDN'T notice. That's the true test. There's a lot to compete with right now.

I say go with giving Barbara & Michael the Thalberg (as Cubby received in '82) for continued excellence in the Bond series and 20 films in 40 years. Show a killer montage of clips for 5 mins. + and then have all five on stage in tuxes at the end. Even Connery would show up for that.

and if XXX gets any sort of nom, Bond better get one....Otherwise Bryce will have to SPANK the Academy;)

#22 rubixcub

rubixcub

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 09 January 2003 - 09:58 PM

Originally posted by DerrickD
Plus there's no real competition...no "My Heart Will Go On" (read: no sappy Oscar-voter-wet-dream song). One could argue that the older, male Academy voters would rather award an aging MALE "legend" like Paul Simon or something...but I think the # of voters with either professional or promotional ties to MGM and the Bond franchise will outnumber these more conservative voters.

Don't count on it. The Academy skews older and conservative. Plus U2's song for the long-standing Best Picture front-runner, "Gangs of New York", might take it. "Die Another Day" isn't a cert for a nom, but it is a real possibility. They've ignored Madonna in the song dept, even for traditionally favored ballads. A divisive techno song is going to have an even bigger hurdle to climb. I'm not holding my breath.

Dave

#23 brendan007

brendan007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1512 posts

Posted 10 January 2003 - 05:19 AM

with all the praise eminems been getting from critics everywhere lately, im sure his 'lose yourself' song will win this year. i would like to see madonna's 'die another day' win though.

#24 solitaire

solitaire

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 10 January 2003 - 05:50 AM

Originally posted by rubixcub

Don't count on it.  The Academy skews older and conservative.  Plus U2's song for the long-standing Best Picture front-runner, "Gangs of New York", might take it.  "Die Another Day" isn't a cert for a nom, but it is a real possibility.  They've ignored Madonna in the song dept, even for traditionally favored ballads.  A divisive techno song is going to have an even bigger hurdle to climb.  I'm not holding my breath.

Dave

The voting academy is'nt as conservative as you and others seem to think. If you knew anything about the Oscars,you would know that two of Madonna's previous soundtrack songs have already won Oscars for best song ("Sooner or later" from the film "Dick Tracy",and "You must love me" from "Evita") Two powerful ballads,so she certainly has'nt been ignored. On Feb 11th,just watch for her name among the nominees.:)

#25 DerrickD

DerrickD

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 70 posts

Posted 10 January 2003 - 08:51 AM

Hey all,

These are the nominees from the Phoenix Film Critics for Best Original Song. I think they look a lot like what the Oscar "golden 5" will be, with the possibility of U2 replacing "Hero" or "Gollum's Song".

Best Original Song
Die Another Day 'Die Another Day' - Madonna
Father and Daughter 'The Wild Thornberrys' - Paul Simon
Gollum's Song 'The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers - ? (Icelandic chick)
Hero 'Spider-Man' - Chad Kroger
Lose Yourself '8 Mile' - Eminem

It really comes down to 4 songs though, with great arguments for each winning...

DAD - honoring the Bond legacy
Lose Yourself - breakthrough Eminem song
Hands That Built America - Patriotic-**** and Bono-worship-**** :)
Fathers and Daughters - Paul-Simon-is-a-legend ****

But I have a feeling that the Academy isn't ready to give Eminem an Oscar all of the sudden...that Gangs Of New Yorks will be overlooked more than it is nominated and that the patriotic-**** won't win anyone an Oscar at this point...and that Paul Simon will only get a nod to honor is legend-status. Gollum's Song won't win if "May It Be" didn't..."Hero" is just kinda bla...that leaves Madonna and Die Another Day! =)

#26 DerrickD

DerrickD

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 70 posts

Posted 10 January 2003 - 08:53 AM

...weird, you can't say the C. R. A. P. word here? I swear that's all I said! =)

#27 Double-Oh-Zero

Double-Oh-Zero

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3167 posts

Posted 10 January 2003 - 11:04 PM

Originally posted by Bryce (003)
I say go with giving Barbara & Michael the Thalberg (as Cubby received in '82) for continued excellence in the Bond series and 20 films in 40 years. Show a killer montage of clips for 5 mins. + and then have all five on stage in tuxes at the end. Even Connery would show up for that.

That's an excellent idea, Bryce, and I'm almost 100% sure that the Academy will honour the Bond series in some way, shape or form this time round. Although I wouldn't count on Big 'Tam (Connery) being there. I hardly see him at the show in the audience, much less on stage. Plus I think he's still sour from when they played the Bond theme as he was walking out to present an award. Still, you never know. Maybe they'll get the FX geniuses at MGM who did the surfing scene to digitally insert Connery onstage. Effective, although might be shoddy in close-ups.

#28 JBond007

JBond007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 860 posts

Posted 11 January 2003 - 08:41 AM

There was really nothing in this film that could make it receive an Oscar.

I mean, the music was good but TND was better.

SFX wasn't on par, not that I minded SFX, but it could have been done more convincingly.

Maybe the ice palace?
The interior was hmmmmm nothing special, but the exterior was quite good.