23 replies to this topic

#1 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 31 December 2002 - 08:58 PM

DVDFile.com is running an interview with xXx star Vin Diesel to coincide with the release of xXx on DVD... In the interview it is mentioned that there are two scripts being written simultaneously for an xXx 2 and an xXx 3...the next one will take place in Washington D.C. and the third one will take place in Japan

DVDFile: As we talk the new James Bond film (Die Another Day) is just out and seems to be a hit. Did you feel any pressure trying to create a "new Bond" in XXX, and did you intentionally try to pay homage to or avoid any of the elements that has made that series so long-lasting?

V.D: My intentions when I made XXX were not to create a new Bond, but to create an original approach to the secret agent genre, the spy genre. The first and foremost different between XXX and all of its predecessors and contemporaries is that he (Xander Cage) doesn't want to be a secret agent. And that's the first characteristic that makes him fascinating, and makes the story fascinating. That this guy is the quintessential reluctant hero.

I felt like that there was more integrity in that approach, a little bit more tangible about that reality, especially in the wake of September 11th.

DVDFile: What sorts of things did you try to focus in on with the character to make it more accessible, more tangible?

V.D: I remember when I used to see James Bond movies, the one thing I didn't relate to was that this guy seemed like he probably went to school for 12 years to be a secret agent. I was like, "No, that's not going to be me."

DVDFile: While the Bond films are still popular with a wide audience, XXX seems like it was designed to appeal more directly to the young adult demographic...

V.D: It was successful in that demographic, but it was I also found is that when the older audience went to see the film they were tapping into something completely different than the modern cultural influences that were incorporated into the character. They were talking about the characters, the relationships and the storyline. The were intrigued by it , which was cool. I feel like this is a film that entertained, that hopefully anybody that went to it came away entertained.

DVDFile: Did you allow any influence of Bond the character into your portrayal of Cage?

V.D: Bond is the father of these movies. We were just taking it one step further and making it current. That was Rob Cohen's objective. But, of course, you can't help but to take the Bond films into account. Look at it, analyze it, and see what they've done. It would be shortsighted not to. Especially the techniques they used to be as successful as they've been. When we were doing XXX, we knew that we were creating a prototype, and that if this wasn't good and we didn't knock this out of the park, then there wouldn't be others.

THE COMPLETE INTERVIEW IS AVAILABLE AT WWW.DVDFILE.COM

#2 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 31 December 2002 - 09:03 PM

Hmmm... He's sounds like a man who's been humbled, doesn't he?

#3 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 31 December 2002 - 09:13 PM

He doesn't seem to be dissing the 007 movies (and Die Another Day) as some said he had in the past (I never read those interviews).

I was intrigued by the fact that pre-production has actually begun on not one, but two sequels to xXx.

#4 daman3755

daman3755

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 293 posts

Posted 31 December 2002 - 09:14 PM

Well well, this sparks some news to me. Vin, unlike that heartless Rob Cohen (sorry he was marvelous with "The Fast and The Furious," one of my fave films, but his attitude towards Bond is damn cold), knows that Bond is the king of the hill in the spy genre. No one can top him and he at least acknowledges this. He also knows that Xander Cage can't be like James Bond. That's good. Make XXX an extreme secret agent, that's fine, but don't copy Bond.

As for XXX - I got the DVD today and it's simply, well, good to the averge movie fan. I liked it as a popcorn flick, that's all. When I want Bond, I have my 007 Giftset to watch. :) And as for the next two XXX films - I've heard what Cohen wants in XXX2. He wants a dirtbike chase on top of the Capitol building. I'd like to make this official - ROB COHEN IS A HORSE'S ***. He knows nadda about a good film. TFATF was different though, but now John Singleton has the reigns to that franchise.

And as for DAD - yes it was GREAT but no it lacked that old Bond spark. I so want a Bond film that downplays the extreme stunts aspect. And CGI - go watch the FX feature in TND. The CGI in TND is NOT noticeable at all, but yet DAD is corny. Hoo boy. Get that CGI crew from TND back!!

#5 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 31 December 2002 - 09:18 PM

A dirtbike race across the Capitol Building?? Post Sept. 11 that almost seems like burning the flag doesn't it...

#6 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 31 December 2002 - 09:26 PM

This is a JameS Bond Fan Post?chat. Why(?) waste time discussing a loser like Vin Diesel. What he should be doing is looking then play the part of the Bond Villina in Bond 21. XXX was a waste of valuble money. It only serve to highen interest in the real thing. 007 ,James Bond. So heart felt thanks.

#7 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 31 December 2002 - 09:29 PM

Originally posted by kevrichardson
This is a JameS Bond Fan Post?chat. Why(?) waste time discussing a loser like Vin Diesel. What he should be doing is looking then play the part of the Bond Villina in Bond 21. XXX was a waste of valuble money.  It only serve to highen interest in the real thing. 007 ,James Bond. So heart felt thanks.

Yes, Barbara Broccoli said in an interview that she believes movies such as Austin Powers and xXx help the James Bond franchise by creating interest in the genre..
After all, all those 007 rip-offs in the 1960s hardly hurt James Bonds box office.

#8 solitaire

solitaire

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 31 December 2002 - 09:38 PM

I love Vin Diesel,even though I found XXX to be a dissapointment. I look forward to the next two though,hopefully they will be a lot better. As for what he said about Bond films,I agree. The XXX series has to carve out it's own niche.:)

#9 Necros

Necros

Cadet

• Crew
  • 8 posts

Posted 31 December 2002 - 09:49 PM

ya I got XXX dvd last week. I like it alot but im a vin diesel mark so... Rob Cohen is a pretty good director. Stallone - daylight! Need I say more. anything done in washington nowadays post sept11 is according to people wrong. But DAD will always be the top of the reign box office in anyones minds for a spy movie, hopefully.

#10 License To Kill

License To Kill

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1556 posts

Posted 31 December 2002 - 09:52 PM

I have gained minimal respect for Vin Diesel. He finally realized he can't tackle the Bond series, so he has to make a "current" spy flick. I didn't see the movie, so I cannot judge. My friends saw it without me and said it was excellent for what it was trying to accomplish, but couldn't touch DAD. And Fast and The Furious, the movie in which describes everything wrong in the world, I won't even touch that vile piece of filmmaking.

~LTK~

#11 Glen Barrington

Glen Barrington

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 01 January 2003 - 06:45 AM

I have yet to see why Vin Diesel tries so dang hard to be sly about his background-smells like an angle to keep folks guessing about him.

Medicre actor at best. Saw TFATF, didn't bother with xXx. More of a personality with "attitude".

I understand there needs to be a new up and coming crop of new action stars to replace Stallone, Arnold, etc. But THIS guy? C'mon!

I can't take him seriously at all.

I sure hope EON never uses him in a Bond film. He would cheaspen the franshise.

#12 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 01 January 2003 - 11:28 PM

Dont forget Stallone actually was nominated for an Oscar at one point. Vin Diesel will never be nominated for his acting.

#13 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 02 January 2003 - 12:25 AM

Yes, but where is Stallone now?? His last movie "Eye See You" went direct to video...

#14 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 02 January 2003 - 02:36 AM

Stallone is hard at work writing Rocky 6 (dont laugh yet, I think it could be quite entertaining).

#15 brendan007

brendan007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1512 posts

Posted 02 January 2003 - 06:28 AM

and good old mgm is paying for it (they really are stupid)

#16 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 02 January 2003 - 12:53 PM

I saw xXx last night (on DVD) and I am really not sure what Bond fans are getting all worked up about.
It didn't seem as if they went out to trash 007 movies, or the James Bond character. xXx was so completely different.
If you want a movie that cheapens the James Bond movies look at the Derek Flint series.
I am REALLY looking forward to xXx 2 and xXx 3....The scripts are already being written for both so we should see them going before the cameras soon...Maybe they will do them back-to-back ala LOTR?!

#17 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 02 January 2003 - 01:19 PM

Different? It has a plot from a Bond computer game! It has a Q, bad gadgets, a gadget laden car (rubbish), 'for my country', the epilogue from For Your Eyes only, surrealistic titles, etc. All of which are fine if you are taking the piss from Bond, but its just trying to rip Bond off. Consequently it is very boring indeed. Even the action is poor with stunts which sound like they were taken from a Bond fanfic ('and then, um, he...jumps...er.. really high! Yeah! Cool!'). Plus an attempt to rip off the Bond theme which fails because they use a descending scale of notes, making even the music sound bored during the endless jump-off-the-bridge stunt. It goes on for about a week. My favourite part, though, has to be the many shots of exotic cars which populate the movie- unfortunatley they read 'British' for 'Exotic' with the consequence that everybody drives around in/hides behind/orders stolen...er...Rovers. Not quite Aston Martins. I preferred Teen Agent.

#18 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 02 January 2003 - 01:29 PM

Well, sorry you didn't like the movie, but I thought it rocked and I hope xXx becomes a long lasting franchise...
Loved it, in some respects I preferred it to DAD.

#19 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 02 January 2003 - 01:33 PM

Ah, well, that's cheating. Its a rubbish film, but compared to DAD its not so bad.

#20 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 02 January 2003 - 04:05 PM

I liked all the motorbike stunts.

#21 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 02 January 2003 - 10:19 PM

Preferred xXx to DAD? Wow. I couldn't even watch xXx. I turned it off after about 15 minutes on the plane as the acting and scripting was so utterly horrible.

#22 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 03 January 2003 - 01:57 PM

Originally posted by Blue Eyes
Preferred xXx to DAD? Wow. I couldn't even watch xXx. I turned it off after about 15 minutes on the plane as the acting and scripting was so utterly horrible.

I said IN SOME RESPECTS I preferred xXx to DAD.
I don't think the two are mutually exclusive. I think a person has every right to enjoy both xXx and DAD.

#23 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 04 January 2003 - 06:41 AM

I'll grant you that right.

#24 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 05 January 2003 - 01:38 AM

Remember how Diesel talked of Cage being an anit-hero, unlike Bond before? At least he's realised Bond was the original anti-hero.