This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

The significance of the US Fleming covers.

7 replies to this topic

#1 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 21 December 2002 - 04:57 PM

Having just received the next 3 U.S. Fleming books with that amazing retro cover art by Richie Fahey, I'm again reminded of a thought that hit me when the first 3 were released. I think it worth repeating because I really do feel these books represent a milestone in the life of the literary James Bond.

The significance here is that this is first time James Bond has been deliberately SENT BACK IN TIME. Know what I mean? Up until now every release of the books (even the new UK editions) have gone out of their way to contemporize Bond with their cover art and design (I

#2 Red Widow Dawn

Red Widow Dawn

Sub-Lieutenant

• Enlisting
  • Pip
  • 153 posts

Posted 21 December 2002 - 09:55 PM

I didn't care much for the covers, but you're right, it's nice to see they have some confidence.

#3 JackChase007

JackChase007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3446 posts

Posted 30 December 2002 - 02:08 AM

Yes, the covers are very creative and do give a very appropriate sense to them (if that makes any sense).

#4 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 11 February 2003 - 05:02 AM

I'm completely with you, zencat. These are fantastic covers that have ventured into where dare go before. I wonder if this is the first sign of the series eventually returning to its original time.

#5 rafterman

rafterman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 11 February 2003 - 05:06 AM

now I'm hoping for well done rereleases on the Amis and Gardner books..

#6 Coop

Coop

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 220 posts

Posted 14 February 2003 - 09:04 PM

It's weird that the same company- Penguin- have chosen such different approaches for both sides of the Atlantic. We in Britain get covers that are modern and minimalist and the Americans get ones that are an eye-catching nod towards 'Fifties pulp fiction art.

I wonder if Penguin researched this and found that UK citizens found the books to be modern and cool, while Americans found them to be retro and chic.

#7 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 14 February 2003 - 11:30 PM

Originally posted by Coop
...I wonder if Penguin researched this and found that UK citizens found the books to be modern and cool, while Americans found them to be retro and chic.

Interesting. That sounds like that could very well be the case.

#8 Johnson Galore

Johnson Galore

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 232 posts

Posted 15 February 2003 - 04:46 PM

The US covers are the best covers since the Jonathan Cape originals. They speak to exactly what you will find in the book and I think that's how they can sell them. The average reader expects Brosnan in DAD-material. New covers tell you this isn't what you're expecting!