This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Has anybody here played the '80s 007 video game?

6 replies to this topic

#1 Felix's lighter

Felix's lighter

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 247 posts

Posted 19 December 2002 - 02:46 AM

Even as a videogame-obsessed and not particularly fussy kid, I thought that Parker Brothers cartridge for the Atari 2600, Intellivision etc. looked really cheesy. Was it?

Even though I only had a rudimentary knowledge of the Bond films, I had no idea how the game play translated over into Parker Brothers' "versions" of The Spy Who Loved Me, Moonraker, For Your Eyes Only and Diamonds Are Forever. The advertised but sadly never-released Octopussy game (which was to have Bond jumping from rail car to rail car fighting villains) looked much more promising.

There was also a computer game in the late-'80s based on Licence To Kill. Was that any good?

In retrospect, I find it hard to believe that more software companies did not catch on to the brilliant idea of combining Bond and video games. That's why Goldeneye was so great when it came out in '97 - it felt like the two mediums were made for each other.

#2 Jeff007

Jeff007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2076 posts

Posted 19 December 2002 - 05:43 AM

I played an emulated version a couple years ago. Its probably still out there to download on the net. It was fun but don't expect too much from it. Took me a while to beat if I can remember.

There is a web site out there that had all of those old bond games. It had Licence to Kill, Stealth Affair and many more. Does anyone know the address?

#3 Canada

Canada

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 158 posts

Posted 21 December 2002 - 07:46 AM

I played the LTK game on an Amiga and loved it back in 91 or 92! The C64 version was pretty good too (remember the machine came out in 1982) and by the early 90's the best days of any C64 were over. The earlier C64 games were not too hot though like AVTAK. I know you can run them on emulation now but I haven't tried since about 1998. It is like going back in time, perhaps I should try it over the holidays. The funny thing is I have never played GoldenEye! - I guess that happens when you get old!

#4 1q2w3e4r

1q2w3e4r

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1336 posts

Posted 21 December 2002 - 08:37 AM

Yeah I played LTK on Sega it was pretty cool. Definantly entertaining. And fun fighting Jaws at the end.

#5 PaulZ108

PaulZ108

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1569 posts

Posted 21 December 2002 - 05:56 PM

Originally posted by 1q2w3e4r
Yeah I played LTK on Sega it was pretty cool.  Definantly entertaining.  And fun fighting Jaws at the end.

I think you're referring to "The Duel".

#6 1q2w3e4r

1q2w3e4r

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1336 posts

Posted 22 December 2002 - 12:22 AM

Yeah thats the one!

#7 Jeff007

Jeff007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2076 posts

Posted 22 December 2002 - 12:38 AM

I got "The Duel" a while back but I could not beat it. Maybe if I dust off my sega I will give it another go.