#1 Alex Zamudio

Alex Zamudio

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 30 December 2001 - 03:04 AM

From lazenbyland (http://clubs.yahoo.c...ubs/lazenbyland):

Once again, those fine folk at ABC have decided to treat OHMSS with disdain and is not included in their run of Bond films in the New Year.

Time to lobby ABC about this to let them know our displeasure.

Their e-mail is [email protected]

----------------------------------------------------
As you all probably know, The 007 films from 1962 to 1983 (Dr. NO to Octopussy) are going to be shown from Jan 26 and so on in order on ABC T.V. in 2002, well in some ways this is great because the films are going to be screened with some new interviews and stuff, but as a Hardcore 007 Fan I think that excluding the fine and extraordinary OHMSS from the line up is a true crime and disrespect to the hard work done by all the lots of people involved with OHMSS, Broccoli, Peter Hunt, John Glen, George Lazenby, Diana Rigg and many other including artists, camara men, stunt people, etc, created a film thats beutiful and exciting, much better that some 007 fare in the 70's. I know that this film is a controversial one and it has suffered from it's share of bad rap, but is not uncommon to see it listed as a 007 fan top favorite, and every time I see an article regarding OHMSS no matter the source, the fact that it ranks as a one of the best film in fan choices is always mentioned, also sales of the VHS and DVD have been excelent, so why this film is not included is beyond me...
Disrespect for this film by ABC is an repeated historical event, in 1976 the film was butchered and edited in a horrible way. If you Wanna see how just vist:
http://www.geocities...d/Mansion/2512/

All Bond fans that have enjoyed OHMSS should send an Email to ABC, with their comments, those who don't like OHMSS should give it another shot, without prejudice, and they will see it's a very fine film.
here's the address:
[email protected]

Regards, Alex M

#2 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 22 February 2002 - 02:32 AM

In my opinion, they're doing the right thing. Not only does it not work with any sense of continuity, it doesn't flow right. For a TV network, it's good not to air it and just air the Connery films as a block. I appreciated OHMSS, just never loved seeing Bond break into tears at the end (which they should've saved for the beginning of DAF and he shouldn't have gotten all teary-eyed. He should've been greatly saddened, but stoic as he tried to shut it out - but this is another topic). The series works just as well without the film in there, and I believe that it would have a negative effect on the people just being introduced to Bond for the first time.

#3 White Persian

White Persian

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 25 February 2002 - 12:21 PM

Alex (24 Feb, 2002 02:16 p.m.):
And Lazenby's Bond is involved in the only believable and well-choreographed fight scenes in the series.

I wouldn't say the *only* believable and well choreographed fights, though I take your point.
Surely the train fight between Connery and Shaw in FRWL and the pre-credit fight in Goldfinger were superbly put together pieces of mayhem.

#4 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 22 February 2002 - 04:15 AM

My guess on the exclusion of OHMSS on ABC is pretty simple -- mostly having to do with the almighty dollar. First, it's the longest film in the series. Back when they played this movie in the '80s, it took up a three-hour slot alone. Now there's more commercial time than ever and it just wouldn't work and allow them the chance to plug the Jim Belushi Show and whatnot without major cuts. And Lazenby isn't the household name Moore and Connery are. Sad, but true. Instead, they should hype him as the sort of lost Bond. My only other question is how will the later, longer films be cut to accomodate all that?

#5 Alex

Alex

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 89 posts

Posted 24 February 2002 - 02:16 PM

If they don't air OHMSS, they are idiots. It is a far better film than, say, Moonraker. And Lazenby's Bond is involved in the only believable and well-choreographed fight scenes in the series.

#6 mccartney007

mccartney007

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3406 posts

Posted 30 December 2001 - 06:49 AM

January 26 - "Dr. No"
February 2 - "From Russia With Love"
February 9 - "Goldfinger"
February 16 - "Thunderball"
February 23 - "You Only Live Twice"
March 2 - "On Her Majesty's Secret Service"
March 9 - "Diamonds Are Forever"
March 16 - "Live and Let Die"
March 23 - "The Man with the Golden Gun"
March 30 - "The Spy Who Loved Me"
April 6 - "Moonraker"
April 13 - "For Your Eyes Only"
April 20 - "Octopussy"
April 27 - "Never Say Never Again"

According to the list ABC sent to me and the Ian Fleming Foundation OHMSS will be aired.

#7 OO7Qbranch

OO7Qbranch

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 60 posts

Posted 29 January 2002 - 03:32 AM

Yea, if anybody watched Dr. No on Saturday then you would have heard one of the actors say George Lazenby's name to the women as a joke (I saw that one coming) so I think it would make sense to include his movie.

#8 JReber007

JReber007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 136 posts

Posted 21 February 2002 - 09:29 PM

Think again, kiddies. This is an update. I read over at USAToday that Live and Let Die will now be airing on March 9. That means we have YOLT this Saturday, DAF on March 2, then the Moore movies (hosted by Moore himself). Man, what a rip! I really really enjoyed OHMSS (even if Lazenby wasn't the best man for the job). Blue Eyes, come on, pull some strings, man. We want answers! :)

#9 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 21 February 2002 - 09:50 PM

I checked my TiVo listings yesterday and Diamonds Are Forever is listed on March 2. This is a crying shame. On Her Majesty's Secret Service is a darn fine film and doesn't deserve to be passed by.

If ABC doesn't think ol' George is enough of a draw, maybe they could at least have an afternoon version of 'The Bond Picture Show' so we fans of this wonderful movie can see it. I bet they could get Mr. Lazenby himself to host it.

#10 MDSmith

MDSmith

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 177 posts

Posted 22 February 2002 - 01:59 AM

Mister Asterix (21 Feb, 2002 09:50 p.m.):I bet they could get Mr. Lazenby himself to host it.

I bet they could get old George to host anything, a dog show, a cook-off!