19 replies to this topic

#1 PaulZ108

PaulZ108

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1569 posts

Posted 24 November 2002 - 06:59 PM

I found the game yesterday in GameStop and immediately installed it. Here's what I've noticed so far. I'm only to level 3 so I'll post a proper review later:

FMVs are still used for everything where in-game cutscenes would have worked much better. Nothing major, but still a little irritating.

The game runs much smoother than the demo but still slows down in strange places where one wouldn't expect it to.

The graphics aren't nearly as bad as some thought they'd be. Not quite on par with the Q3 engine or especially the new LithTech Jupiter engine (which I think would be perfect for a Bond game), but by no means Half-Life graphics. Gearbox isn't lying when they say that there's very little HL code left in it.

Character models are nicely detailed. I can't spot any difference between in-game models and FMV models. Eyes move in their sockets and there's lip animation when characters talk in-game so it just doesn't make sense why normal cutscenes weren't used, unless they just had so much trouble getting them to work.

I like the PC gadgets better than the console ones. The grapple hook cell phone looks great in motion and works well. The watch actually does seem to tell time correctly based on your PC clock!

The AI isn't spectacular, but it's noticably better than it was in the demo. It seems that there actually is location-based damage because I have shot enemies in the head and had them die instantly, but I'm not sure.

It's certainly not as clunky and rough feeling as the demo was. The controls are smoother and I don't feel like I'm shooting a lifeless bag when I shoot someone.

MULTIPLAYER:

I've really had alot of fun with this so far. I've not experienced much lag on a full server so the netcode seems to be stable. The maps are nice, particularly the Fort Knox map (which is a very accurate depiction of the set). The skins are okay, but I didn't see a Bond skin (I didn't look much either so I might have missed it). The classic character skins are hit and miss. They of course can't be direct depictions of the actors and actresses who played them, but some manage to capture the character well. Xenia and Oddjob are my favorites. Others, like Pussy Galore, just don't look quite right. The beautiful thing about this game though is you'll be able to make your own once the editing tools are released.

Overall, I think I'll be mostly pleased. I'll post my complete review once I beat the game.

#2 deth

deth

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2651 posts

Posted 24 November 2002 - 07:03 PM

looking forward to the game more now. Anything that's better in this multiplayer than in any other multi. game??

#3 PaulZ108

PaulZ108

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1569 posts

Posted 24 November 2002 - 07:07 PM

Hard to say...I haven't really played that much. Multi feels VERY Bond though and it's so nice to finally have a Bond game with online multiplayer.

#4 crazy_dog

crazy_dog

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 54 posts

Posted 24 November 2002 - 08:41 PM

Hi I'm new here! PaulZ108 what are the multiplayer levels in the game?

Also what are the weapons? (sorry I'm curios:))

#5 PaulZ108

PaulZ108

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1569 posts

Posted 25 November 2002 - 12:54 AM

Off the top of my head, Fort Knox, Zukovsky's Caviar factory, Phoenix Tower...and I forget the rest (didn't play much)

I've found several automatic rifles, a shotgun, the Raptor magnum, and the P99 so far.

BTW, welcome to CBn! :)

#6 Melancholy Productions

Melancholy Productions

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 174 posts

Posted 25 November 2002 - 01:10 AM

There's a difference between console and PC version gadgets? What are these differences?

Hopefully the PS2 version won't be dragged down by chunky-looking gadgets again! Imagine my excitement when I discovered that Nightfire has a laser watch (just like the films!) and not some silly, stand alone laser gadget.

Cheerio,
Chris.

#7 crazy_dog

crazy_dog

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 54 posts

Posted 25 November 2002 - 07:37 AM

Originally posted by PaulZ108
Off the top of my head, Fort Knox, Zukovsky's Caviar factory, Phoenix Tower...and I forget the rest (didn't play much)

I've found several automatic rifles, a shotgun, the Raptor magnum, and the P99 so far.  

BTW, welcome to CBn! :)

Thnx :). Is Trevelyan an available character? (doesn't matter much but still)

#8 deth

deth

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2651 posts

Posted 25 November 2002 - 01:08 PM

another question: What are the multiplayer game types?

#9 newest007

newest007

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 80 posts

Posted 25 November 2002 - 04:41 PM

Combat Training (fancy name for Free-for-all)
Team Combat Training (fancy name for team Free-for-all)
Capture The Flag

#10 Tedley King

Tedley King

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 25 November 2002 - 04:55 PM

There not a lot of multiplayer game types then?

#11 deth

deth

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2651 posts

Posted 26 November 2002 - 02:15 AM

ok, just got the game. I'll be posting my brief, but hopefully halpfull review withing the next couple of days.

#12 newest007

newest007

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 80 posts

Posted 26 November 2002 - 06:28 PM

Just the basic multiplayer game types, fun though. I would like a Counter-Strike style add-on (which I'm sure someone will adapt).

#13 PaulZ108

PaulZ108

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1569 posts

Posted 27 November 2002 - 05:11 AM

Just finished the game...here's my final review.

Graphically, the game looks fine. Not cutting-edge graphics like UT2k3 or NOLF2, but more than sufficient. Nice character models throughout the game as I've said before. It was playable 90% of the time at 1152x864, highest settings on everything but antialiasing with a 1.8ghz Celeron, 384MB RAM, GeForce2 MX400 PCI machine. In some locations (toward the end of a section where it seemed as if they should have loaded a new area sooner) the game suddenly bogged down and I had to set my resolution down several notches, but for the most part it worked fine.

The plot is better than AUF and the level design is pretty good, but the dialogue is horrible. I cringed multiple times, especially in the second half, at the way some of those offensively bad lines were delivered with that horrible voice acting. What happened to the Brosnan impersonator they used for TWINE64? Still, it wasn't too big of an issue. The game was surprisingly short though, with much of the action taking place in a few levels. The "Hidden Agenda" mission took all of 6 minutes it seemed and Rook was incredibly easy to kill, which could have been because I was playing on the easiest difficulty setting. It seemed out of place between the two Phoenix Tower missions. The plot basically falls apart after that mission, with
Spoiler
. The island level looked good considering it was done with a modified Half-Life engine and at times reminded me alot of the jungle level in GoldenEye64. However, the following level was my least favorite as from then on it seemed that Gearbox let Half-Life influence them a little too much. Climbing through elevator shafts, trams, crates, even Drake's troops were reminiscent of the troops in Half-Life. It seemingly took forever and had a rushed feel to it. The last level was incredibly easy and ended with the worst scripting moment of the entire game. "In space, Mr. Bond, no one can hear you scream...except me!" Ugh. Horrible...just horrible...

However, I'm sure the plot was beyond Gearbox's control and overall the game plays well and the level design seems good until the end. Enemies cry out and flinch when hit, unlike in the demo, and I'm pretty sure I noticed location-based damage. The weapons are decent, but I'm a bit dissapointed the PC version didn't have the PPK of the console version.

I love the multiplayer. It's the best Bond multiplayer since GoldenEye64 and has a similar feel at times. The classic characters are great, but I just wished they'd chosen more characters like Pussy Galore instead of concentrating so much on the more recent ones. I'd much rather play as Honey Ryder than Christmas Jones. Also, the fact that Jaws is considerably taller than most everyone else seems to have been overlooked...why is he the same height as everyone else?! Only one major thing bugs me about multiplayer: you can't play as Bond and you can only be "good" characters on the MI6 team and "bad" characters on the Phoenix team. The levels themselves are mostly from the game, but the few that aren't are by far the best. I especially love Fort Knox, which has been almost flawlessly recreated from the movie version.

Yes, the game does have its flaws, both graphical and otherwise. However, this doesn't feel like a game by an underqualified or incompetent developer. I've played some of Gearbox's Half-Life expansions like Opposing Force and they were actually done better than the original Half-Life itself. This game seems to be the victim of being pushed out the door before it was ready and/or underfinanced. However, its flaws are easily overlooked and Bond's first outing on the PC generally doesn't dissapoint.

8.7/10

#14 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 28 November 2002 - 11:15 PM

What stealth moves are there? I heard that one could sneak up behind guards, put a gun to their backs, and make them surrender. I also saw in a video that the stun-and-punch move from TWINE is back so that enemies will drop their weapons...well, you know NOLF2, Paul, so compare it to that. :)

#15 PaulZ108

PaulZ108

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1569 posts

Posted 28 November 2002 - 11:26 PM

If you sneak up on a guard and hold a weapon to them, they throw their hands in the air and surrender.

NOLF2 is superior in many ways, both in gameplay and graphics. NF doesn't even stand a chance at surpassing NOLF2, however good it is. Nightfire is even a little shorter than NOLF2. However, with the extended multiplayer and future SDK coming up I think I'll still be playing NF after I'm done with NOLF2.

#16 daman3755

daman3755

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 293 posts

Posted 30 November 2002 - 12:32 AM

Originally posted by PaulZ108
What happened to the Brosnan impersonator they used for TWINE64?

Well Paul, it seems we have the same voice actor. According to sources that I've checked Adam Blackwood is credited with the voice of 007. He's played Bond in TND, TWINE, AUF, and NF. Hmm...I dunno about this, but whatever. At least Bond doesn't remind me of a cross between Roger Moore and Tim Dalton (with traces of Connery, Brosnan, and Lazenby) in this game. I'm glad Pierce lended his face for NF.

#17 vellox

vellox

Recruit

• Crew
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 November 2002 - 01:35 AM

This game is complete and utter ***. I cannot beleive they actually shovelled this pile of feces onto customers. I'm insulted as a Bond fan, and a PC gamer, and this is a huge slap in the face from EA for pc gamers. Compared to the ps2 version, this game might as well be Pacman. Do not, I repeat, do not buy this game. Words simply cannot describe how bad this game is, especially for a 2002 release. Unacceptable

#18 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 30 November 2002 - 07:01 AM

Well, if you want to convince me not to buy it, you'll have to use words. And, Paul, can you have guards wake up with no weapons, or pull out a handgun when you've taken their machinegun? You could do this in TWINE, I believe, and I thought it was very realistic.

#19 PaulZ108

PaulZ108

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1569 posts

Posted 30 November 2002 - 10:27 PM

Originally posted by General Koskov
Well, if you want to convince me not to buy it, you'll have to use words.  And, Paul, can you have guards wake up with no weapons, or pull out a handgun when you've taken their machinegun?  You could do this in TWINE, I believe, and I thought it was very realistic.

I'm not sure. I don't know if they DID wake up after I knocked them out with my nonlethal weapons.

#20 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 02 December 2002 - 06:07 AM

Do the bodies fade? Do enemies react to bodies? Can you drag bodies?