4 replies to this topic

#1 rubixcub

rubixcub

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 25 July 2001 - 08:09 PM

The film version of YOLT differs greatly from the novel. Recall that OHMSS was published before YOLT, and the film version of OHMSS follows the book much more closely than most other films. At the end of YOLT, Bond kills Blofeld as the castle is being destroyed (I think; I forget what happens exactly but I remember Bond is knocked out). Anyway, Bond is unconscious and found by Kissy Suzuki. Bond has lost his memory, so Kissy tells him that his name is Tao-San and he is her husband, so that she can keep him forever. Meanwhile, the British Secret Service believes Bond is dead, and the book includes his obituary at this point.

A year passes. Bond and Kissy live as husband and wife while the rest of the world believes James Bond is dead. One morning, Kissy discovers she is pregnant, and is about to tell James when he discovers an item on his person- something written in Russian. He believes that he is really Russian and goes off to search for his identity, never knowing that Kissy is carrying his child.

I don't know what happens in the next novel, TMWTGG, but boy, this ending sure packs a punch. I wonder if they could use it for a movie. It'd certainly be surprising! Then they could frame the next one around the concept of an amnesiac James Bond searching for his identity, just as the crime world discovers he's still alive. There'd still be plenty of opportunity for action, less gadget-dependent, with Bond fighting for his life and trying to understand why he's being attacked. Meanwhile, Moneypenny doens't like the new 007, and secretly cherishes the hope that James is alive somewhere. She covertly gathers information about his current development, the one we're seeing, and keeps tabs on him in the hope of bringing him back.

Toward the end, Bond returns and Moneypenny runs up to him, leaps into his arms, and maybe gives him a kiss (followed, of course, by a moment of awkwardness).

To top it off, title the film "The Property of a Lady". No explanation is needed, I hope.

What do you think of my idea?

Dave

#2 Mr Trump

Mr Trump

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 274 posts

Posted 25 July 2001 - 09:12 PM

I've not read any of the novels but I was told that in the FRWL book Bond was killed at the end because Fleming did not want to write anymore but then decided to have Bonds life being saved at the beginning of the next book. Is this true?

#3 Mr Trump

Mr Trump

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 274 posts

Posted 25 July 2001 - 09:11 PM

I've not read any of the novels but I was told that in the FRWL book Bond was killed at the end because Fleming did not want to write anymore but then decided to have Bonds life being saved at the beginning of the next book. Is this true!

#4 Jacques Nexus

Jacques Nexus

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 12 August 2001 - 11:12 AM

rubixcub (28 Jul, 2001 08:16 p.m.):

Mr Trump (25 Jul, 2001 10:11 p.m.):
I've not read any of the novels but I was told that in the FRWL book Bond was killed at the end because Fleming did not want to write anymore but then decided to have Bonds life being saved at the beginning of the next book. Is this true!

Essentially, yes. Klebb's poison shoe scene in the movie is in the novel, only in the novel she succeeds in getting him. Fleming literally raised the character from the dead in Dr. No.

I haven't read the novel of FRWL either, but I know that's what happens. He gets kicked by the poison shoes.

Dave

I read FRWL many years ago, and yes Klebb kicks 007 with her shoe blade. However, 007 falls to the floor; that's it, no explanation by Fleming on 007's condition. When you read it I don't think you would assume he's dead. Leaving an ambiguous ending gave Fleming the choice on whether or not to bring Bond back. Fleming felt he ran out of puff and thought about ending the series there and then. Fortunately for 007 fans, Fleming got his 'second wind' and continued the series with Dr No. At the beginning of Dr No Fleming explained the poison came from the Japanese Fugu fish which makes it's victim asphyxiate. 007 was saved by his ally, Rene Mathis who gave 007 the kiss of life.

#5 rubixcub

rubixcub

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 28 July 2001 - 07:16 PM

Mr Trump (25 Jul, 2001 10:11 p.m.):

Essentially, yes. Klebb's poison shoe scene in the movie is in the novel, only in the novel she succeeds in getting him. Fleming literally raised the character from the dead in Dr. No.

I haven't read the novel of FRWL either, but I know that's what happens. He gets kicked by the poison shoes.

Dave