#1 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 12:41 PM

Hello all,

A bit ago, I remember reading a piece that discussed that the defense of Skyfall lodge was actually an homage by Purvis & Wade to an older adventure novel. I'm having trouble locating that information via search. Could someone point me in the right direction?

#2 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 12:46 PM

First I hear of it, Harms, sorry. Will report if I stumble about it...

#3 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 02:12 PM

Found the article I was looking for:

http://jamesbondmeme...ohn-buchan.html

And in Some Kind of a Hero P&W say they took inspiration from Household's Rogue Male for the third act.

#4 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 03:18 PM

Still didn't get around to reading this. According to some article I once read - likewise no idea where it's got to be found today - Fleming supposedly was very fond of the idea and apparently also proposed a similar mission in Berchtesgaden. Have to give this Rogue Male a try some day.

#5 DavidJones

DavidJones

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 347 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 03:27 PM

I remember Purvis & Wade's decision to give the lodge a name game from the Richard Hannay adventure Greenmantle.

Here's a link to an omnibus of the Richard Hannay novels. They were a big influence on Fleming and are enjoyed today by British adventure fans.

https://www.amazon.c...=richard hannay

#6 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 03:47 PM

I've read the Hannays, crucial stepstones in the development of the genre (although Ashenden is in all likelihood the better depiction of secret intelligence work done by amateurs; come to think about it, they all seem to employ the amateur approach, Hannay and Ashenden just as much as their bosses Bullivant and R). Fleming - and Bond - also was very fond of Eric Ambler, another writer without whom James Bond may not have turned out the way he did.

#7 ggl

ggl

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 09:36 AM

Found the article I was looking for:

http://jamesbondmeme...ohn-buchan.html

And in Some Kind of a Hero P&W say they took inspiration from Household's Rogue Male for the third act.

Thanks for that. Really interesting.

#8 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 03:48 AM

The inspiration was the movie "Home Alone" (1990)

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

#9 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 08 May 2017 - 03:50 AM

LOL!

You're a hoot Dave.  :P

#10 hoagy

hoagy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 230 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 10:11 PM

Yes, DaveBond21, you are perceptive, indeed.  The parallels are unmistakable !

The hero of Home Alone was blond-haired, blue-eyed and male.

His mother was an important figure in his life, though she had committed an act of neglecting him, focused as she was on the needs of the many.

The hero in Home Alone was strongly affected in his hour of need by a wise and experienced elderly gentleman.

The primary villain in Home Alone was portrayed by an actor well-known for roles in other films wherein he played cold-blooded, brutal and deadly killers...need I even go on ???