Thoughts?

#2 dtuba

dtuba

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 02:25 AM

Not bad. I would agree with most of his points, although I'm not sure that Craig's Bond has to die in order to complete his journey. I'd argue that he already died at the hands of Moneypenny in the PTS of Skyfall and spent the rest of the movie coming back to life, but that was merely a metaphor to service the 50th anniversary theme of that film. 

I do want Craig to end his tenure on a high note. If he can do that, he will be the first Bond (Lazenby and Dalton notwithstanding) whose final film is not his worst. IMHO, of course.

#3 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 03:22 AM

Not bad. I would agree with most of his points, although I'm not sure that Craig's Bond has to die in order to complete his journey.

Agreed. I'd like Craig's Bond to get an ending of sorts, but actually killing him is unnecessary and I'd be against it. 

#4 Gobi-1

Gobi-1

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1529 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 04:33 AM

While I though Spectre was superb and disagree with some of his comments I do tend to think Bond 25 should go in the direction he's suggesting.

I kinda of honestly think killing 007 would be amazing if done the right way. The Craig era stripped down Bond to the bare essentials and over the last ten years has folded back in many of the familiar tropes and traits of the series. The one Bond story we haven't seen Craig take on yet is a "save the world" plot. The twist this time, and keeping with the realistic style of the Craig era, is that Bond doesn't save to world, get the girl, and wind up on a raft making love, he instead dies sacrificing himself to save us all.

I think with Craig's Bond EON has an opportunity they've never had with the other actors, kill James Bond off. Like the article says Craig's Bond has a beginning and he should have an end. Then the next Bond actor starts fresh without worrying about loose threads from the previous films. EON could then go back to a looser less connected continuity with stand alone movies.

It would certainly make the Craig Era unique and memorable. I say it's worth a shot.