453 replies to this topic

#241 antovolk

antovolk

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 406 posts

Posted 30 October 2015 - 06:07 PM

One thing I did not quite catch in my first viewing - maybe someone can clear this up:

Spoiler

Spoiler

#242 RMc2

RMc2

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 30 October 2015 - 06:14 PM

Glad you agree RMc2! And your second point makes total sense - I think this time I was looking too much into things and questioning it to fill the gaps in my own brain. :P

Lol there are lots of things I missed too! :P Bit worried by Barbara's comments on the red carpet about wanting Mendes back... Hope it's just more of the hype!

#243 bonds_walther

bonds_walther

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 419 posts

Posted 30 October 2015 - 07:44 PM

One thing I did not quite catch in my first viewing - maybe someone can clear this up:

Spoiler

Agreed. The Italian (I thought he was spanish) guy seems to be a reliable soldier of Spectre. Let him be killed that way is poor management from Blofeld

I read it as Hinx showing Bloferhauser what he is all about. I didn't think that 'Number One' put Hinx up to it. However, sitting by and letting the killing happen helps to illustrate his ruthlessness and lets every other member of SPECTRE know that no-one is irreplaceable.

Reminded me of the electrocution of the SPECTRE member in TB.

#244 Hansen

Hansen

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 431 posts

Posted 30 October 2015 - 07:53 PM

Not really.
In TB, it was punishment.
Here, it is for free.
Not the same impact on the team

And I hope that SPECTRE members are somehow irreplaceable. Otherwise, it would be an association of common bandits, making it not very frightening nor dangerous

#245 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 30 October 2015 - 07:56 PM

Seems he wasn't convinced he was the man for job, so wanted to open the field to others. At that stage, Hinx entered the fray and showed his credentials.

#246 bonds_walther

bonds_walther

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 419 posts

Posted 30 October 2015 - 08:24 PM

Not really.
Here, it is for free.

And I hope that SPECTRE members are somehow irreplaceable. Otherwise, it would be an association of common bandits, making it not very frightening nor dangerous

Perhaps the chap in question lacked 'absolute integrity'? As we all know, anyone who does in the world of SPECTRE meets a sticky end.

#247 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 30 October 2015 - 09:00 PM

Not really.
Here, it is for free.

Perhaps the chap in question lacked 'absolute integrity'? As we all know, anyone who does in the world of SPECTRE meets a sticky end.

I saw it that way that he was part of the Italian team, who screwed up the Mexico job. He may also have known that the Italian team failed in killing Sciarra's widow. The guy was doomed from the very beginning. It was just a reminder for the rest of the gang that SPECTRE doesn't tolerate any failure. and maybe a bit of showing off for Bond, as he knew he was there.

#248 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 31 October 2015 - 12:59 AM

I've been with one of my political colleagues tonight and he and his lady both thought SPECTRE was great (and were amused when yours truly revealed the octopus symbol on the mobile wallpaper and watch face! ;-) )

My colleague mentioned something which never occurred to me;

Spoiler

#249 Mr_Wint

Mr_Wint

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2406 posts

Posted 31 October 2015 - 01:41 AM

Well, just came back from my first viewing. There's a few good scenes here and there, but overall it is a clunky mess.

Spoiler

#250 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 31 October 2015 - 08:27 AM

I've been with one of my political colleagues tonight and he and his lady both thought SPECTRE was great (and were amused when yours truly revealed the octopus symbol on the mobile wallpaper and watch face! ;-) )

Spoiler

Ha!  That actually makes sense, alluding to another legendary henchman.  If intended, this is a great inside joke!

#251 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 31 October 2015 - 08:37 AM

Spoiler

Ha!  That actually makes sense, alluding to another legendary henchman.  If intended, this is a great inside joke!

Well, we tend to forget that these film makers do have a life outside Bond. I think someone on the writing or direction side remembered that scene, put two and two together and thought "great idea". And unlike some inside jokes in past Bonds which were in your face this one was subtle but apt.

#252 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 31 October 2015 - 09:03 AM

I haven't seen the movie, but from I've heard about Hinx:

Spoiler

#253 FlemingBond

FlemingBond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 31 October 2015 - 08:58 PM

Spoiler

Edited by FlemingBond, 31 October 2015 - 09:00 PM.

#254 Hansen

Hansen

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 431 posts

Posted 31 October 2015 - 09:20 PM

Spoiler

As a matter of fact, it weakens it

#255 whitesox

whitesox

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 206 posts

Posted 31 October 2015 - 11:40 PM

Spoiler

As a matter of fact, it weakens it

I agree.

#256 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 12:52 AM

I wouldn't say it weakens it. Whether you agree with the choice to include it or not, the plot would be nothing without it.

#257 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 01:12 AM

Spoiler

#258 FlemingBond

FlemingBond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 04:11 AM

i went back and looked at Octopussy and was surprised from that they made a character. How they jumped to where they went i really can't understand

as for the prior movies

Spoiler

#259 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 06:20 AM

I wouldn't say it weakens it. Whether you agree with the choice to include it or not, the plot would be nothing without it.

Absolutely.  For me, it actually strengthens it.

#260 Hansen

Hansen

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 431 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 07:54 AM

The plot would have focus on the control of information thru 9-eyes (which is very loyal to Blofeld obsession as described in the books) and would have been more developped. The subplot about the protection of Madeleine would have still worked, same for the subplot about M vs C.

And Blofeld would not have been wasted.

I do not see what the relationship between Bond/Oberhauser brings to the story either dramatically or emotionally

To me, it is a very low point in a great Bond film

#261 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 09:16 AM

The relationship ties everything together and raises it to another level, IMO.

#262 Mr_Wint

Mr_Wint

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2406 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 12:02 PM

The plot would have focus on the control of information thru 9-eyes (which is very loyal to Blofeld obsession as described in the books) and would have been more developped. The subplot about the protection of Madeleine would have still worked, same for the subplot about M vs C.
And Blofeld would not have been wasted.
I do not see what the relationship between Bond/Oberhauser brings to the story either dramatically or emotionally
To me, it is a very low point in a great Bond film

Agree, it adds nothing to the film. If anything, it weakens both Bond and the villain.

Spoiler

#263 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 12:26 PM

Mr. Wint, Blofeld was *always* in the movie. Don't take the code names as indications that EON/Mendes were uncertain about his inclusion.

#264 Mr_Wint

Mr_Wint

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2406 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 12:34 PM

Mr. Wint, Blofeld was *always* in the movie. Don't take the code names as indications that EON/Mendes were uncertain about his inclusion.

That's not true and you know it.

#265 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 12:48 PM

It´s really strange: the more I think about the film the more I like it.

I´ll probably have to eat my hat for voicing lukewarm concerns directly after watching it for the first time.

The interesting thing, for me, is that with Mendes at the helm again I was expecting a film very similar in tone with SKYFALL.  SPECTRE, however, is very different - despite some thematic ideas carried on.  

I guess my advice for anybody who loved SKYFALL is to not expect SKYFALL 2.

#266 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 01:04 PM

I like Skyfall - it's a top tier Bond film and I don't really have much to criticise. Nor do I really want to criticise it. However I don't believe it's 'above the Bond genre' or anything. It's not without moments of suspending disbelief so we can go along with the ride. SPECTRE's tone may be more relaxed in places (I'll be okay with that), but I don't think the plot contrivances will be drastically dissimilar to what has gone before to be honest. 

#267 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 01:58 PM

IMO, the SPECTRE plot hangs together pretty well. For me, it´s the last 20 minutes which could have benefitted from being a little less... um... Bondian - but the events are unspooling more logically than those in SKYFALL, I must admit.

#268 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 02:45 PM

No, Harmsway is right. The character was always there; it was just how they decided to portray him/her that wasn't nailed down.

#269 Mr_Wint

Mr_Wint

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2406 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 03:05 PM

No, Harmsway is right. The character was always there; it was just how they decided to portray him/her that wasn't nailed down.

Sounds like a contradiction. How rough was the sketch of the character if the sex wasn't decided?

They did not create a character called Ernst Stavro Blofeld and then built a movie around that. Instead, they created a bunch of characters and then they tried to figure out which one they should called "Blofeld".
Spoiler

#270 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 03:11 PM

It's very true, Mr. Wint.

It was a lesbian women in March 2014, Charlotte, then it was M, then an african warlord, Stockmann, Oberhauser etc. etc.

The female Blofeld and African warlord approaches didn't last long, for obvious reasons. Those were put aside early in the process.

They considered making M a villain, but it's not clear that he was ever going to be Blofeld. It seems that M was going to function the way C does in the finished film.

"Stockmann" was never a real name they intended to use. The studio notes make it clear that the name was just a substitute for the name "Blofeld" to hide the fact that the character was going to be used.